Help with new rig. Thanks!

jumpjumpjump

Member
Joined
Nov 10, 2009
Messages
107
Reaction score
0
Hi, I'm interested in building a pc for myself and i have done a bit of read up and this is what i came up with:

Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600M Lovo
Seasonic S12II 520W Bronze 80+ PSU
Samsung SH-224 24x DvD+-RW
CM R4-L2R-20 90CFM/19 dB-A 12cm LED Fan (Do i need this?)
CoolerMaster Hyper 212X PWM Cooler (Not sure if i need one as well)
Palit GTX760 2GB Jetstream DDR5
Asus B85M-E + Intel 4690
WD Blue 1TB

Budget will be around $1,200.

As I'm not too sure of which casing to get, would appreciate if I can get some recommendations.

Also, am I spending too much on the GPU if I want to play Battlefield, and the newer battlefield which is yet to be released? Woud also be playing games like Dota 2, LOL, CS and etc.

Thanks in advance!
 
Last edited:

Alternative X

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2014
Messages
2,322
Reaction score
0
There are some flaws in the build list that needs correction.

1) If not overclocking, there is no need for a aftermarket CPU cooler and low voltage RAMs.

2) Casings usually comes with case fans and you will only need case fans if the stock case fans are not cooling enough.

3) A GTX 760 is nowhere good enough to play Battlefield 4 at Ultra, you need to spend more on the GPU.

4) You do not need an i5 4690 as you are paying extra $$$ for an increase of 1-3 FPS. An i5 4460 will do.

5) You should include an SSD in your build to improve boot times and loading times.

Suggested build list:

CPU+ Mobo: Asus B85M-E + i5 4460 (365)*
RAM: G.SKILL RIPJAWS-X 1600MHZ ( 4GBx2pcs ) CL9 (115)
GPU: POWER COLOR R9 280X 3GB TURBODUO (418)
SSD: ADATA SP900 128GB (99)
HDD: WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB BLUE (72)
DVD-RW: SAMSUNG 24X DVD-RW SATA BOX (25)
PSU: SEASONIC S12II-Non MODULAR 620W (99)
Case: DEEP COOL TESSERACT (65)
OS: WINDOWS 7 HOME PREM (120)

Total cost: $1378

*Estimated price, item not on price list

Buy at PC Themes, #04-15, and ask for discounts. DIY yourself. If you can't into DIY, go to PC Care & Solution at #02-32 and ask Nigel to help you assemble for a fee.

With this build, you can now play Battlefield 4 at Ultra. This rig may not be able to play the unreleased Battlefield smoothly in Ultra settings at 1080p.
 

jumpjumpjump

Member
Joined
Nov 10, 2009
Messages
107
Reaction score
0
Few questions,

1) Is the 1-3 FPS enough to justify me paying extra for the 4460? If not I'll go with your recommendation.

2) Is the G.Skill RAM better than the Kingston one?

3) Would I also require a 620W PSU for my current set up? I thought the 520W would be sufficient.

4) Will the aftermarket cooler prolong the life span of my CPU? That's why i added it in the first place.

And the casing looks good bro. Will consider it.

Thanks for the reply bro!
 

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2013
Messages
11,578
Reaction score
540
Few questions,

1) Is the 1-3 FPS enough to justify me paying extra for the 4460? If not I'll go with your recommendation.

2) Is the G.Skill RAM better than the Kingston one?

3) Would I also require a 620W PSU for my current set up? I thought the 520W would be sufficient.

4) Will the aftermarket cooler prolong the life span of my CPU? That's why i added it in the first place.

And the casing looks good bro. Will consider it.

Thanks for the reply bro!

1) Extra? You're paying less for the 4460

2) There is no better RAM, only more or less RAM

3) 620W got more headroom, but 520W is sufficient as well

4) No. You can run the CPU in your toaster and I bet your CPU is the part that would die last
 

Alternative X

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2014
Messages
2,322
Reaction score
0
Few questions,

1) Is the 1-3 FPS enough to justify me paying extra for the 4460? If not I'll go with your recommendation.

2) Is the G.Skill RAM better than the Kingston one?

3) Would I also require a 620W PSU for my current set up? I thought the 520W would be sufficient.

4) Will the aftermarket cooler prolong the life span of my CPU? That's why i added it in the first place.

And the casing looks good bro. Will consider it.

Thanks for the reply bro!

1) You are paying like $50+ for 1-3 extra FPS, totally not worth it when dropping in a stronger GPU will result in an increase in 20-30+ FPS easily. The 1-3 FPS increase is not visible anyway.

2) If not overclocking, any RAMs are generally good enough as long as they come from an established brand.

3) The build includes an R9 280X which has a much greater power requirement than the GTX 760 along with the large increase in graphics processing power. (ie. from Medium-High with some features switched off to everything on in Ultra.)

4) Not really, Intel processors are not that hot when compared to AMD's FX CPUs, the stock cooler is good enough.
 

jumpjumpjump

Member
Joined
Nov 10, 2009
Messages
107
Reaction score
0
1) Alright, then I'll go with the i5 4460.

2) So I can go with either Corsair, G.skills or Kingston? Which is the more preferred one if I would have to make a choice?

3) Which brand of R9 280X should I go for in this case.

4) I can't find the Asus B85M-E in PC Themes catalog. Which should I get instead of this?

Cheers.
 

Alternative X

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2014
Messages
2,322
Reaction score
0
1) Alright, then I'll go with the i5 4460.

2) So I can go with either Corsair, G.skills or Kingston? Which is the more preferred one if I would have to make a choice?

3) Which brand of R9 280X should I go for in this case.

4) I can't find the Asus B85M-E in PC Themes catalog. Which should I get instead of this?

Cheers.
1) Any brand will do, so pick G. Skill RAM as it is the cheapest.

2) A Powercolor R9 280X is suggested in the build as it is the cheapest.

3) Get the MSI B85-G41 PC Mate + i5 4460 for $350. The MSI B85-G41 PC Mate is the cheapest ATX motherboard in Singapore..
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top