Hike up huashan alone

angtc11

Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2004
Messages
472
Reaction score
5
Hi

Does anyone have experience hiking up huashan alone? I intend to go on 25th March and spend one night up there to catch the sunrise the next day.
 

beanstalk6

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
May 15, 2000
Messages
10,028
Reaction score
1,918
You better check the temperature and weather before you set off from Xi'an. I went in summer with a friend and the trail was crawling with Chinese domestic tourists doing the sunrise bit. We took the cable car downhill.
 

angtc11

Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2004
Messages
472
Reaction score
5
I checked, the temperature should be around 15 degrees in end March. You walked up from yu Quan Yuan or soldier's path?
I intend to walk up and go around the peaks, then spend a night there and see the sunrise. Walk around a bit more then go back to xi'an. Will probably take the cable car down too.

Did you try the plank walk and chess Pavilion etc?


You better check the temperature and weather before you set off from Xi'an. I went in summer with a friend and the trail was crawling with Chinese domestic tourists doing the sunrise bit. We took the cable car downhill.
 

beanstalk6

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
May 15, 2000
Messages
10,028
Reaction score
1,918
I went by Yu Quan Yuan. I did not visit the Chess Pavilion or the Plank Walk. During my visit, the trail was so crowded as to be dangerous. On the Stairway to Heaven, one mis-step by someone at the top would have sent everyone below to their deaths.
 

angtc11

Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2004
Messages
472
Reaction score
5
Your recommendation would be to skip the hike and take cable cars up and down?

I went by Yu Quan Yuan. I did not visit the Chess Pavilion or the Plank Walk. During my visit, the trail was so crowded as to be dangerous. On the Stairway to Heaven, one mis-step by someone at the top would have sent everyone below to their deaths.
 

beanstalk6

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
May 15, 2000
Messages
10,028
Reaction score
1,918
I think my itinerary of hiking up and cabling down is right. If one doesn't hike up, the experience will not be complete. Perhaps in March there will be less people and consequently safer. Make sure you are dressed for something lower than 15 because at night it may feel more chilly than that, especially at the summit. At the same time, don't wear clothes that can get entangled somewhere or get in the way of movement.
 

angtc11

Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2004
Messages
472
Reaction score
5
Yeah, that's why I want to hike up too, thanks for the advice. Were there any websites you were referencing to plan your trip? The ones I found were quite general

I think my itinerary of hiking up and cabling down is right. If one doesn't hike up, the experience will not be complete. Perhaps in March there will be less people and consequently safer. Make sure you are dressed for something lower than 15 because at night it may feel more chilly than that, especially at the summit. At the same time, don't wear clothes that can get entangled somewhere or get in the way of movement.
 

beanstalk6

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
May 15, 2000
Messages
10,028
Reaction score
1,918
It is quite straight forward really. When I reached the temple, it was a simple matter of following the crowd heading up the trail. If you must, look up Chinese travel sites. I took a bus from Xi'an Train Station that reached in the evening. My climb began almost immediately after I bought some provisions. I understand now there is a Harmony train that reaches even faster.
 

siyimi

Junior Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2005
Messages
27
Reaction score
0
The hike up will not be an easy hike, but if you do it slowly and start early in the morning, you will be able to reach near the peak by late afternoon (if you really do it slow n easy). Pack some food & drinks before your hike, unless u dun mind spending more $ to pay for the instant noodles & water along the shops. when you are near the peak, there are two govt-owned guesthouses you can stay overnite for your next morning sunrise. my suggestion, to bring along a sleeping pack, for their cleanliness of their dorm is less desirable as you will like, plus the sleeping bag will also keep u warm in the night.

alternatively, you can take the cable up and climb down, which i did in my trip.

Enjoy the hike, you will need alot of motivation along the way. :D
 

ktee

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2000
Messages
1,699
Reaction score
0
Just came back fr Xi'an. Didn't go to Huashan as planned coz my bros didn't want to go. Perhaps my next trip to Xi'an I can try. I went to Longmen Grotto. Majestic. You can take the hi-speed train to Huashan Bei station.
 

angtc11

Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2004
Messages
472
Reaction score
5
You want to trek up , Xiong Leh

Yup, I walked up from Yu Quan yuan. Took me around 4 hours. Then visited the 5 peaks on top which took another 4 hours. Quite happy that I did so as I don't think I will be fit enough to do that next time.
 

oohmygod

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2006
Messages
1,195
Reaction score
9
You forgot to bring camera or your camera phone to take some pics?

Yup, I walked up from Yu Quan yuan. Took me around 4 hours. Then visited the 5 peaks on top which took another 4 hours. Quite happy that I did so as I don't think I will be fit enough to do that next time.
 

sulpice

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 23, 2008
Messages
6,745
Reaction score
1,204
Just came back fr Xi'an. Didn't go to Huashan as planned coz my bros didn't want to go. Perhaps my next trip to Xi'an I can try. I went to Longmen Grotto. Majestic. You can take the hi-speed train to Huashan Bei station.

LONGMEN grotto is bORING. U r an old man:mad:
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top