How to tell which module Perl is using ?

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2010
Messages
13,551
Reaction score
1,302
How did you learn all these?????
The most layman answer for you is

It's not just pure diet that accumulates all the vitamins in your body. Some are acquired from the diet, some from supplements and some are generated within your body.

With the above statement in mind, a lot of what I have shared in the previous posts are accumulated from years of learning computer science and playing with multiple programming languages, from my JC and Uni courses, from even days before I have formal training in CS, and obviously from reading and watching plentiful of technology articles and videos(when there is Internet). Last but not least, books both dead tree format(started before I even started CS in JC) and digital format.

I know a lot about software and hardware interrupts during my early days studying computer science in JC. In just that short years, I have knowledge of BIOS interrupts (H/W) and OS interrupts(S/W). One well known H/W interrupt is your RTC timer interrupt. It is hardware generated and you can easily hook on to it with a interrupt handler written in C. The other very well known S/W interrupt is the DOS INT21h. It exposes a lot of system functions, which you can read up from http://spike.scu.edu.au/~barry/interrupts.html

I understand even more in-depth about the above subjects studying Computer Architecture, Assembly languages, and OS design and Compiler designs during my Uni days. These courses will inject with you a lot of concepts on how systems ticks, how various layer of programming languages comes into play and how programming languages are designed.

There is really no magic with polymorphism or virtual functions or all those various scoping techniques like lexical, dynamic, static, closures, anonymous. All these concepts are conjure up based on language design principles. If you understand how a simple function is invoked in C, you will have much deeper understanding into all these. I won't go into details, but suffice to say, different programming languages have different approach to how control is passed to a function. But a lot follows the C convention (for obvious reason). There are also those that does it differently. Very much like between little endian and big endian in architectures. In C, arguments are first pushed in the stack, before the data registers and instruction registers are set to the entry of the function.

Once you have a strong foundation in all these, you will find various programming language constructs are based on the very same foundational principles of playing around with all these architecture components. In some very old posts in this forum, I have always told a couple of fellas that Java has pointers, but they don't get it. They thought just because Java call it references means it is not pointers. On the contrary, references in C++ is indeed not pointers. They are design as aliases. But still all these are nothing but manipulation of numbers(information) with a set of semantics.

Java:
Integer n = new Integer(10);

is the same as

C++:
int *n = new int(10);

and it is not the same as

C++:
int n(10);

Once you get one or a few of them, you can easily apply the understanding across numerous other technological concepts. That is why I always advocate learning Computer Science, not Programming.

Believe it or not, I didn't get started with Python to know about generators and coroutines. I already knew about these constructs from other programming languages. It just happen that Python is so popular that everyone seems to talk about it like dessert after the main course, so why not just discuss starting from something some thinks they already knew.

I hope things I have shared open up people minds. Too often I have observed very close minds. Minds that follow rules which doesn't understand why the rules exists and how to break out the rules. The choice of breaking out of rules comes with consequences and one will need to measure if the consequences are worthy for the rules to be broken. Only when you have choices that you can choose. With an open mind, you will be capable of making informed choices.

I have also from time to time read some that thinks FE is some feat which doesn't require CS knowledge. This is a good chance to share the following video


CSS Paintlet(https://developers.google.com/web/updates/2018/01/paintapi) is FE developers scope of work, just that are you game enough to use it ? In this procedural texture example, it requires the implementor to know about Pseudo Random Numbers Generators (PRNG). Is this therefore a BE engineer work ? Apparently this doesn't seems so right ? So is CS important for both FE and BE software engineers ? Why is there even such a segregation in the first place ? The tech evangelist talk about mulberry32, but I believe a simple LCG(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_congruential_generator) will work too. It just need to look random, not securely random.

Have fun :)
 
Last edited:

Trader11

Banned
Joined
Oct 14, 2018
Messages
15,697
Reaction score
5,235
The most layman answer for you is

It's not just pure diet that accumulates all the vitamins in your body. Some are acquired from the diet, some from supplements and some are generated within your body.

With the above statement in mind, a lot of what I have shared in the previous posts are accumulated from years of learning computer science and playing with multiple programming languages, from my JC and Uni courses, from even days before I have formal training in CS, and obviously from reading and watching plentiful of technology articles and videos(when there is Internet). Last but not least, books both dead tree format(started before I even started CS in JC) and digital format.

I know a lot about software and hardware interrupts during my early days studying computer science in JC. In just that short years, I have knowledge of BIOS interrupts (H/W) and OS interrupts(S/W). One well known H/W interrupt is your RTC timer interrupt. It is hardware generated and you can easily hook on to it with a interrupt handler written in C. The other very well known S/W interrupt is the DOS INT21h. It exposes a lot of system functions, which you can read up from http://spike.scu.edu.au/~barry/interrupts.html

I understand even more in-depth about the above subjects studying Computer Architecture, Assembly languages, and OS design and Compiler designs during my Uni days. These courses will inject with you a lot of concepts on how systems ticks, how various layer of programming languages comes into play and how programming languages are designed.

There is really no magic with polymorphism or virtual functions or all those various scoping techniques like lexical, dynamic, static, closures, anonymous. All these concepts are conjure up based on language design principles. If you understand how a simple function is invoked in C, you will have much deeper understanding into all these. I won't go into details, but suffice to say, different programming languages have different approach to how control is passed to a function. But a lot follows the C convention (for obvious reason). There are also those that does it differently. Very much like between little endian and big endian in architectures. In C, arguments are first pushed in the stack, before the data registers and instruction registers are set to the entry of the function.

Once you have a strong foundation in all these, you will find various programming language constructs are based on the very same foundational principles of playing around with all these architecture components. In some very old posts in this forum, I have always told a couple of fellas that Java has pointers, but they don't get it. They thought just because Java call it references means it is not pointers. On the contrary, references in C++ is indeed not pointers. They are design as aliases. But still all these are nothing but manipulation of numbers(information) with a set of semantics.

Java:
Integer n = new Integer(10);

is the same as

C++:
int *n = new int(10);

and it is not the same as

C++:
int n(10);

Once you get one or a few of them, you can easily apply the understanding across numerous other technological concepts. That is why I always advocate learning Computer Science, not Programming.

Believe it or not, I didn't get started with Python to know about generators and coroutines. I already knew about these constructs from other programming languages. It just happen that Python is so popular that everyone seems to talk about it like dessert after the main course, so why not just discuss starting from something some thinks they already knew.

I hope things I have shared open up people minds. Too often I have observed very close minds. Minds that follow rules which doesn't understand why the rules exists and how to break out the rules. The choice of breaking out of rules comes with consequences and one will need to measure if the consequences are worthy for the rules to be broken. Only when you have choices that you can choose. With an open mind, you will be capable of making informed choices.

I have also from time to time read some that thinks FE is some feat which doesn't require CS knowledge. This is a good chance to share the following video


CSS Paintlet(https://developers.google.com/web/updates/2018/01/paintapi) is FE developers scope of work, just that are you game enough to use it ? In this procedural texture example, it requires the implementor to know about Pseudo Random Numbers Generators (PRNG). Is this therefore a BE engineer work ? Apparently this doesn't seems so right ? So is CS important for both FE and BE software engineers ? Why is there even such a segregation in the first place ? The tech evangelist talk about mulberry32, but I believe a simple LCG(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_congruential_generator) will work too. It just need to look random, not securely random.

Have fun :)

Do you think the rush to take certifications is dangerous? Instead of focusing in depth, alot of tech professional are treating certs like a trophy..... LinkedIn have created social pressure to get certified at the expense of deep knowledge like what you demonstrated.
 

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2010
Messages
13,551
Reaction score
1,302
Do you think the rush to take certifications is dangerous? Instead of focusing in depth, alot of tech professional are treating certs like a trophy..... LinkedIn have created social pressure to get certified at the expense of deep knowledge like what you demonstrated.
If you care about your own competency instead of some pieces of paper (nowadays digital), then you will be more concern with the knowledge to befit the certification.

While I recognise the usefulness of certification, but certification doesn’t make planes fly. So personally I take it as at most an entry ticket, not something that spell who one is. Ultimately one’s deliverables will speak of oneself. Getting pass the door is only the start, staying fruitful inside the room is where it matters.

I don’t think it is dangerous to speak, just superficial. When I do interview, I don’t even care how many papers you quoted. The more you quote, the more I will question regarding those certifications to see if you know what you say you know. If I can think this way, I am sure there are other hirers that think this way too. Good if you have substance; Bad if you are merely wrapped up with a thin piece of paper.

:)
 

Trader11

Banned
Joined
Oct 14, 2018
Messages
15,697
Reaction score
5,235
If you care about your own competency instead of some pieces of paper (nowadays digital), then you will be more concern with the knowledge to befit the certification.

While I recognise the usefulness of certification, but certification doesn’t make planes fly. So personally I take it as at most an entry ticket, not something that spell who one is. Ultimately one’s deliverables will speak of oneself. Getting pass the door is only the start, staying fruitful inside the room is where it matters.

I don’t think it is dangerous to speak, just superficial. When I do interview, I don’t even care how many papers you quoted. The more you quote, the more I will question regarding those certifications to see if you know what you say you know. If I can think this way, I am sure there are other hirers that think this way too. Good if you have substance; Bad if you are merely wrapped up with a thin piece of paper.

:)
How to be like those tech experts where every conference will call them to give a talk? It looks like specialization is required
 

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2010
Messages
13,551
Reaction score
1,302
How to be like those tech experts where every conference will call them to give a talk? It looks like specialization is required
A talk is a talk. The skillset is a general soft skill. I believe you are referring to say something similar to TED. For those that comes under technologies are normally known as Tech Evangelist doing tech advocations. You could call it a specialise role for that is what they tend to do. But they could also be consultants, experts, sales, C-level designations and so forth.

Like any talks, presenter will obviously go prepared. Even standup comedies which seemingly stray from jokes to jokes are scripted, not to mentioned something like a tech presentation which has one or more goals to be achieved in that sharing session. I believe you will need to also be a rather quick witted or maybe have gift of the gab, or maybe just someone whom is very well prepared. Good current affairs, good understanding of the ecosystem of your scope as well as fringe scope will be very helpful in answering queries from the audience.

As a tech presales myself, it is very frequent during the presales stage that I need to prepare for presentation on the solution and how it address the clients requirements and concerns. I will also need to present to various stakeholders, from end-users, to system administrators, to project managers and c-level staffs. So it is useful to be able to articulate the some difficult tech issues using analogies and examples. Some are business requirements and some are system requirements. You might find a few ask some seemingly out of scope questions and you will have to find ways to tackle them or simply get back to them at a later day.

:)
 

peterchan75

Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2003
Messages
6,756
Reaction score
533
@davidktw,
Need a favour from you. What would be your best advice to a recent IT graduate ?
1. Cloud - Amazon, Google or Microsoft
2. Any future in Gaming?
3. Virtual reality in training
Thanks in advance.
 

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2010
Messages
13,551
Reaction score
1,302
@davidktw,
Need a favour from you. What would be your best advice to a recent IT graduate ?
1. Cloud - Amazon, Google or Microsoft
2. Any future in Gaming?
3. Virtual reality in training
Thanks in advance.
I don’t find the comparisons equivalent. How do you compare (1) with (2)? one is just a small part of computing, the other is a career(if i get it right). (3) is seemingly a discipline. I don’t get your question. Please elaborate. Thanks
 

peterchan75

Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2003
Messages
6,756
Reaction score
533
I don’t find the comparisons equivalent. How do you compare (1) with (2)? one is just a small part of computing, the other is a career(if i get it right). (3) is seemingly a discipline. I don’t get your question. Please elaborate. Thanks
I am not in IT so I don't have a clear idea. Career wise, game development vs business system, which is a better?
 

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2010
Messages
13,551
Reaction score
1,302
I am not in IT so I don't have a clear idea. Career wise, game development vs business system, which is a better?
My general principle to giving advice on how one should choose his/her career is simply based on what he/she love to do most. Anything else is meaningless unless one find joy in waking up every morning feeling up to it for new challenges ahead. I also recognise that one would be able to give his/her best in doing what they enjoying doing for decades to come, and that provide oneself with the best chance of excelling in one's career.

Game development industry is not vibrant in Singapore, but if one is hungry enough, feel free to search for jobs outside of Singapore. However that being said, one should not be mistaken that game development is different from a business system. It's genre is game, but it is ultimately still a business system. Also being a game developer IMHO demands more from the developer than one whom does web systems.

Nowadays MMOG demands scalability and also high performance where gamers demands for high frame rate gaming experience. At even 60fps (minimal nowadays), not much computing time available for each frame to be rendered. Everything counts - fast hardware, good algorithms, low latency network bandwidth. Cyberpunk 2077 is a recent good example. Of course if you are just a junior developer, it doesn't means you need to be exposed to everything at once. In time to come.

Likewise for other kind of IT genre that tackle web portals, IOT products, security products, mobile products and so forth, they have their own set of challenges. Not anything like gaming, just different. At least most of these products are not as graphically inclined and doesn't have a hard minimal of 60fps refresh rate. Some systems demands absolute uptime and crashes is unacceptable, so the design is elaborate. Again it doesn't mean junior developers get to experience all the challenges, again in time to come.

As such, I can't tell someone which is better. In each verticals, there are giants. In the automobile and space exploration, we have Elon musk. In the personal computers we have Steve Jobs and Bill Gates. In the ecommerce world, we have Jeff Bezos. In the social network space, we are Mark Zuckerberg. One may choose to lookup to these figures as inspiration, but one must be practical too. We don't have 1000 bill gates everywhere, so be realistic in your own capabilities too. Aim high, but don't aim too high.

It's up to the audience to believe, I have not really worked in my life, having I have spent near halve of my life in the IT industry today. That doesn't mean there are no hardship and doesn't mean everything is smooth and rosy. It only means I enjoyed the sweet, sour, saltiness and bitterness of the trade. No pain no gain. It's really an individual choice to how he/she wants to live his/her life in the pursue of his/her goals in life.

BTW both Gaming and other businesses uses cloud intensively. Cloud computing is a general offering to all sorts of business use. It is not limited to just business systems. There are plentiful of gaming use cases for AWS (Powering fan-favorite games)

Virtual reality is a generic tool too. Used in games, use in militaries, use in various training and educational purposes from exploration to medical training and remote medical operation in conjunction with remote machine operations. So I don't think one should treat it as something on its own. Of course there are companies that produce VR solution as a business. But those businesses probably touches on cloud computing, security, networking, IoT, AI/ML and other sorts of technologies too to deliver a wholesome VR experience for the end-users.

When one look at one's own career, don't focus too deeply. Think of how ones work fit into the ecosystem. That way one will observe a much broader sense of what works for one and what doesn't. I hope that helps to set a flexible mindset to the IT graduate in mind.

Last but not least "Stay Hungry Stay Foolish".

:)
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top