Intel SpeedStep not working

JustAnotherTroll

Master Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2009
Messages
3,249
Reaction score
235
Just realised after my friend pointed out, that my Processor does not throttle when I'm idle.. (it will stay at 4.2GHz).

However, the voltage will vary. This is causing my temps to be 8-10deg higher than normal on idle.

Why is this happening?

Have updated to the latest BIOS already. Any bros having the same issue? :s11:
 
Last edited:

Godeau

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2009
Messages
16,006
Reaction score
6,514
Just realised after my friend pointed out, that my Processor does not throttle when I'm idle.. (it will stay at 4.2GHz).

However, the voltage will vary. This is causing my temps to be 8-10deg higher than normal on idle.

Why is this happening?

Have updated to the latest BIOS already. Any bros having the same issue? :s11:

Is your minimum processor state in power options 100%?
 

AC2

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2002
Messages
1,050
Reaction score
1
Go Control Panel and check on your power plan. did you select power saving or Max performance?. usually if you select Max performance - as Godeau suggest will put your minmum and maximum process state at 100% all the time - therefore your CPU will not throttle down even when at idle.
 

JustAnotherTroll

Master Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2009
Messages
3,249
Reaction score
235
It's on Balanced. Balanced min 5% max 100%.
Somehow when I switch to Power Saver the CPU will throttle down.

I'm getting very big variations in voltages even when idle. Can be as low as 0.1xx

Something wrong with CPUZ or my PC?
 

Godeau

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2009
Messages
16,006
Reaction score
6,514
It's on Balanced. Balanced min 5% max 100%.
Somehow when I switch to Power Saver the CPU will throttle down.

I'm getting very big variations in voltages even when idle. Can be as low as 0.1xx

Something wrong with CPUZ or my PC?

try resetting your bios, might be some bios oc thing auto disabling the speedstep. If that doesn't work I am out of ideas :(

edit: is your OC genie enabled? if yes please disable it
 
Last edited:

JustAnotherTroll

Master Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2009
Messages
3,249
Reaction score
235
try resetting your bios, might be some bios oc thing auto disabling the speedstep. If that doesn't work I am out of ideas :(

edit: is your OC genie enabled? if yes please disable it

will check when i'm home. probably misclicked it or something.
 

AC2

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2002
Messages
1,050
Reaction score
1
I read somewhere that samsung SSD will cause CPU to throttle full . some setting needs to be done. did you just upgrade to your samsung ssd recently?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top