El Metronome
Member
- Joined
- Mar 13, 2010
- Messages
- 317
- Reaction score
- 0
Ok, not sure if this is the right section, but anw…
My parents currently records shows on TV onto a DVD recorder. We have met with a few difficulties with this, due to our constant rewriting of the DVD, the disc or the recorder seems to run into issues and fail often. Also, it is very inconvenient having to manually insert the DVD into a PC to store files in the HDD, since the 4.8GB DVD is way too small.
So I thought, there must be a device to record the data straight onto a storage device of some kind? An internal SATA HDD or SSD? This would solve most of my problems. What I would require from such a device is to:
Record shows off local television and store in a friendly, non-proprietary format (like mp4), either in HDD/SSD through SATA or even NAS
Preferably able to record preselected channels at programmed times automatically
Connectivity such as USB to move data off internal storage, if needed
Remote control operation
Small, reliable, and not too expensive
Ease of operation for not-so-IT-savvy people
Is this device I am describing a HTPC? What does a HTPC specs differ from more mainstream PCs? Is there any special components or connections I would need, especially to interface with a TV, which is also receiving signals via the standard format (I have no idea, antennae)? My TV has HDMI ports but my understanding is that those serve as input options to the television, and not vice versa.
I am reasonably computer-savvy and I do DIY my own PCs, but I am just new to this whole HTPC thing. To me my PC is meant for more ‘processing’ applications games, work, video and photo editing and surfing net. So pardon me if it is ‘suaku’ or off topic, haha.
Appreciate any help or advice
My parents currently records shows on TV onto a DVD recorder. We have met with a few difficulties with this, due to our constant rewriting of the DVD, the disc or the recorder seems to run into issues and fail often. Also, it is very inconvenient having to manually insert the DVD into a PC to store files in the HDD, since the 4.8GB DVD is way too small.
So I thought, there must be a device to record the data straight onto a storage device of some kind? An internal SATA HDD or SSD? This would solve most of my problems. What I would require from such a device is to:
Record shows off local television and store in a friendly, non-proprietary format (like mp4), either in HDD/SSD through SATA or even NAS
Preferably able to record preselected channels at programmed times automatically
Connectivity such as USB to move data off internal storage, if needed
Remote control operation
Small, reliable, and not too expensive
Ease of operation for not-so-IT-savvy people
Is this device I am describing a HTPC? What does a HTPC specs differ from more mainstream PCs? Is there any special components or connections I would need, especially to interface with a TV, which is also receiving signals via the standard format (I have no idea, antennae)? My TV has HDMI ports but my understanding is that those serve as input options to the television, and not vice versa.
I am reasonably computer-savvy and I do DIY my own PCs, but I am just new to this whole HTPC thing. To me my PC is meant for more ‘processing’ applications games, work, video and photo editing and surfing net. So pardon me if it is ‘suaku’ or off topic, haha.

Appreciate any help or advice
