Job oppurtunity for Linux ..

Reaction score
My neighbour was doing some project management then sales and marketing job. Retrenched about 5 years back then he was doing some sales job. Now he is around 50++.. Lost job again. His company closed due to COVID slowdown

I asked him what was he doing in earlier days. He said he used to do coding in Visual Basic and some coding in .NET way back many years. He lost all the touch.

If I guess his age, he should be in mid 52 to 55

I was thinking of suggesting to him to learn Linux. Is there any opportunity for someone with Linux knowledge or Linux Certification?
If so what sort of Linux certification he should pursue? Redhat? any suggestion?

Tks.

Last edited:

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My neighbour was doing some project management then sales and marketing job. Retrenched about 5 years back then he was doing some sales job. Now he is around 50++.. Lost job again. His company closed due to COVID slowdown

I asked him what was he doing in earlier days. He said he used to do coding in Visual Basic and some coding in .NET way back many years. He lost all the touch.

If I guess his age, he should be in mid 52 to 55

I was thinking of suggesting to him to learn Linux. Is there any opportunity for someone with Linux knowledge or Linux Certification?
If so what sort of Linux certification he should pursue? Redhat? any suggestion?

Tks.
Learning Linux is a start, but IMHO, it probably wouldn’t get him any job. The demand for just a mere system engineer is probably not there. The industry has progress much from there, if there is any need, it will be certification in any of the existing cloud computing. OS certification may still be useful, but not vital. In SG, I will recommend either Azure or AWS. Azure might be more fitting if he is more familiar with Windows environment, but personally I will say AWS is an unavoidable platform. If you are in the cloud computing arena, you will want to at least know about it even at superficial level.

Reaction score
Thank you davidkw

Appreciate your valuable inputs. :) Trying to help someone in distress.

I am not sure he should get trained in AWS development or Administration? I feel development may takes place in other countries where cost structure may be less. Being in Singapore in my personal capacity I should suggest AWS Administration right?

So Shall I suggest AWS Cloud Practitioner(Foundational) then AWS Solution Architect (Associate)
Probably if he completes Foundation he may able to get some entry level job for survival.

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thank you davidkw

Appreciate your valuable inputs. :) Trying to help someone in distress.

I am not sure he should get trained in AWS development or Administration? I feel development may takes place in other countries where cost structure may be less. Being in Singapore in my personal capacity I should suggest AWS Administration right?

So Shall I suggest AWS Cloud Practitioner(Foundational) then AWS Solution Architect (Associate)
Probably if he completes Foundation he may able to get some entry level job for survival.
Both development and administration is fine. Given your friend is at 50++, administration will get tide him over until retirement. If your friend is in the 20-40, I will highly recommend development. SA is not administration, unless your friend already have the necessary qualification to architect, then adding on AWS SA will work. AWS SA itself won't propel someone without prior architect skill set to become one. It is an add-on. Cloud practitioner is very entry level, there are AWS devops courses, but if your friend is not keen nor still into development, I will deem it a challenge.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.