Kids w/ASD

greythorne

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2006
Messages
1,207
Reaction score
25
Parents just a quick question.

I think in other post I shared that my little one has suspected mild ASD. So taking language would be a problem when he goes to primary school.

We are aware of the MOE Kindergarten so applies to it and got a place. I also understand that for such kids with medical proof can be exempted from MTL.

Now I am sort of in dilemma whether to just continue in is existing pre-sch or switch to MOE k.

Any advice would be useful.
 

XGZ1503

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2017
Messages
1,000
Reaction score
7
Parents just a quick question.

I think in other post I shared that my little one has suspected mild ASD. So taking language would be a problem when he goes to primary school.

We are aware of the MOE Kindergarten so applies to it and got a place. I also understand that for such kids with medical proof can be exempted from MTL.

Now I am sort of in dilemma whether to just continue in is existing pre-sch or switch to MOE k.

Any advice would be useful.

If your little one really have ASD, then it is better for him/her to seek treatment and early intervention. Otherwise he/she will have issue later in sch.

How old is your LO? On what basis you suspect that he/she have ASD?
 

angy

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2000
Messages
670
Reaction score
44
@greythorne

What do you want your young one to achieve in the kindie?

You have to remember one thing. The teacher to student ratio is high, and your ASD child will be at the left of the bell shaped
curve. The teacher cannot devote his/her time to your special need child. So what's going to happen to your young one? Will the teacher's neglect impede your child's learning capability?

So, three things you have to consider
a. Does the teacher in charge knows about ASD behaviour? Do they have any experience?
b. are the MOE Kindie or pre school ASD friendly? Have you ask them? Do they know how to handle ASD children? or are the ASD children being labelled and sideline? Some will say "they are still young and grow out of it"
c. If both are "no", are you prepared to spend your time and effort to teach the teacher about intervention techniques, how to use PECS and how the teacher can assist your child if he/she has a challenging speech task?

If all are "No" and/or you have no time, then in all honestly, there is no difference whether your young one is a MOE K or pre school environment.

Please do not treat the Kindie as a dumping group, parents in such environment talks and their tongue can be very sharp when they see your child's behaviour.

I am sorry to say, better you spend your money and time seek professional help in early intervention and do not worry about the selection of pre school or Kindie.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top