Laptop recommendation for comp sci degree

ramenconsumer

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2020
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi there,

I'll be enrolling into a university as a Computer Science major later on this year. I've seen some recommendations floating around for CS majors to get a Macbook, but I would prefer a Windows OS laptop.

Some things to note,
1. Portability is a huge consideration since I'll have to carry it around for 4 years.
2. Will probably be dual booting ubuntu (No idea how to use it, will probably learn and play around with it in the future)
3. Heard that 8GB RAM is sufficient for my degree, but 16GB is the sweet spot
4. 512GB of storage would be a minimum for me
5. Will not be doing any gaming on it, purely for work/studies

So far, I have narrowed it down to 5 different laptops, would appreciate the advice/feedback or additional recommendations.

* [Dell XPS 13](https://www.dell.com/en-sg/shop/lap...ilver/spd/xps-13-9300-laptop/w5170131100sgw10) $2099 SGD
Bit pricey for my taste, and the 8GB of RAM bothers me a bit. However, the overabundant of praises and recommendations I have seen for the XPS 13 in regards to the build quality and overall performance seems to make up for it. It costs $450 SGD more to upgrade this model to a better one with 16GB RAM and a better CPU, so that's probably out of my budget.

* [Asus Vivobook S14](https://sg.store.asus.com/asus-vivobook-s14-s433jq-eb098t-indie-black.html) $1498
Comes with a slightly better CPU as compared to the aforementioned XPS13, 1TB storage is a bonus as well (Although I probably don't need so much space) and most importantly it is about $600 SGD cheaper than the XPS. 8GB RAM as well, so that bothers me too. And also slightly heavier as compared to the XPS. Only issue I have is I used to own a Asus Zenbook for my poly, and I encountered some build quality issues, so the brand image in my mind is slightly tarnished. This was originally the laptop I was going to buy, before I did my research on the others, seems like the most bang for buck.

* [Lenovo ThinkPad T495s](https://www.lenovo.com/sg/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-t-series/T495s/p/22TP2TT495S) $1539 SGD
CPU benchmark for this one seems worse than the XPS13's. About the same weight as the XPS. Has 16GB of RAM, so that's a plus for me. Other than that, heard that their keyboards are pretty good (Not that important to me).

* [Dell Inspiron 5593](https://laptopmedia.com/review/dell-inspiron-5593-review-does-it-have-the-balance/) $1398 SGD
Hardware seems good on paper, but I noticed some reviews criticizing it for the build quality and battery life.

* [Asus Zenbook 14 UX433FLC](https://sg.store.asus.com/asus-zenbook-14-ux433flc-a5258r.html) $1898 SGD
CPU better than the XPS. 16GB RAM is nice but its DDR3. Only problem here is same as the Vivobook above, had some past build quality issues with a Zenbook that I used to own.
 
Last edited:

Morugana

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 22, 2005
Messages
30,608
Reaction score
120
You are better off with a MacBook

Can satisfy all your com sci needs.

Ubuntu is just a vm away

If windows

You next best choice will be Asus zenbook with long battery life.

16gb and 512gb will be perfect

I5 more than sufficient.
 
Last edited:

lumpyme

Master Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2006
Messages
3,919
Reaction score
889
16gb ram is a MUST
i would advice to get the thinkpad, it allows you to run with unlocked tdp and the SSD is user replaceable

avoid the dell or the apple macbooks, the SSD is soldiered on
there have been too many cases where the SSD controller failed on a macbook and the whole motherboard needed to be replaced

also, do get something with usbc charging
then you can share chargers with your friends should you run out of battery
 

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2008
Messages
16,824
Reaction score
1,777
asus has build quality avoid it. when i was in uni those who bought zenbook ended up replacing after 1 year. thinkpad is ok but 4000 series ryzen not out yet.
 

ckctam

Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2011
Messages
344
Reaction score
3
Do you really need to be 13 inch? A 14 or 15 inch can give you more option to upgrade, especially ram.

Have you consider x1 carbon? It is comparable to Xps 13. Maybe a bit cheaper.
 

meowth82

Member
Joined
May 31, 2011
Messages
206
Reaction score
0
try on campus may have special price laptop for students to buy. Though the choice maybe limited.
 

nopolicy96

Junior Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2011
Messages
17
Reaction score
3
Again... If you can wait, just wait for more Ryzen 4000 laptops to release. There should be a plethora of them coming out over the next few weeks. If you don't know what that means... expect powerful laptops in an ultrathin profile with really affordable prices that can easily crush their Intel counterparts.
 

natas

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
2,239
Reaction score
530
asus has build quality avoid it. when i was in uni those who bought zenbook ended up replacing after 1 year. thinkpad is ok but 4000 series ryzen not out yet.

Personally, I feel Asus is good in term of hardware and pricing. Maybe, I am lucky, my 1st ultrabook, ux21 bought about 8 yrs ago till now still can use except the battery is dead. My office HP Spectre, high end spec within a month, the touch screen is not working but HP provided on site repair, changed the whole screen on the spot.

UM425 with Ryzen is coming soon... Worth the wait.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top