Looking for PC recommendation for work/VMs/gaming

minamikaze

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2016
Messages
2,075
Reaction score
229
I see. BTW, is the a620m tuf gaming able to maximize the potential of the Ryzen 9 7900? The VRM seems to be weaker, but then the TDP of 7900 is only 65W.
 

NightRaven49

Master Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
3,742
Reaction score
1,580
is the a620m tuf gaming able to maximize the potential of the Ryzen 9 7900? The VRM seems to be weaker, but then the TDP of 7900 is only 65W.
yeah i wouldnt be worried about using a non x 7900 on an a620 for its rated 65w tdp (~90w actual), the tuf's heatsinks are fairly beefy too. if u are worried though, u can always go for the alternative budget b650 boards i suggested, those will handle even the 7950x fine.
 

minamikaze

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2016
Messages
2,075
Reaction score
229
Just bought my rig yesterday at Dynacore! I decided to buy a 2nd hand graphics card on Carousell instead since I'm going to do only very intermittent gaming (but on 3840x1080 resolution).
I managed to actually run Diablo IV on the above resolution on my 2018 Hades Canyon NUC (with onboard AMD Vegas gfx) with decent frame rates.. so probably don't need a graphics card that is much more powerful.

Any good ideas on 2nd hand graphics card? Planning to spend maybe max $150 only.
Thanks!
 

NightRaven49

Master Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
3,742
Reaction score
1,580
Just bought my rig yesterday at Dynacore!
gxgx, do share pics!
Any good ideas on 2nd hand graphics card? Planning to spend maybe max $150 only.
maybe something like a gtx1080/rx5700 to use up ur entire budget, or for pure value get a 1070. normally I'd suggest a rx580 but I'm seeing 1070s go for about the same price (<$100) or not much more on carou so that's the better pick.
 

minamikaze

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2016
Messages
2,075
Reaction score
229
I got a 1070ti 8gb for $130. Hope that was an okay price..
Also, I ended up getting 2 x 32gb ram first because I read that ddr5 has stability issues with 4 rams.. I haven't done a whole lot of research yet but I saw it online I think. Any thoughts on this?
 

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2011
Messages
29,027
Reaction score
8,286
I got a 1070ti 8gb for $130. Hope that was an okay price..
Also, I ended up getting 2 x 32gb ram first because I read that ddr5 has stability issues with 4 rams.. I haven't done a whole lot of research yet but I saw it online I think. Any thoughts on this?

4 pcs stress more on the memory controllers, lower rate to get everything working.
 

NightRaven49

Master Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
3,742
Reaction score
1,580
Looks like I have to lower the memory speed quite aggressively to avoid any issues... or could be a matter of luck?
it's a matter of luck, just try first.
Shucks, I should have sourced for 2 x 64GB instead..
u urself already stated just a few days ago that dynacore doesn't stock 64gb modules, and that is because as mentioned previously, they don't exist; the highest capacity of single stick ddr5 u can find anywhere is limited to 48gb. the only other way to get 128gb of ram is to populate 2x 48gb + 32gb, but is a very weird and certainly not ideal config and may even be worse than getting 4x 32gb.
 

minamikaze

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2016
Messages
2,075
Reaction score
229
it's a matter of luck, just try first.

u urself already stated just a few days ago that dynacore doesn't stock 64gb modules, and that is because as mentioned previously, they don't exist; the highest capacity of single stick ddr5 u can find anywhere is limited to 48gb. the only other way to get 128gb of ram is to populate 2x 48gb + 32gb, but is a very weird and certainly not ideal config and may even be worse than getting 4x 32gb.
Ah, 64GB modules don't exist? I guess I must have missed what you said haha. I thought only Dynacore doesn't stock them (or that they're just very rare). Let me get my VMs up and see how much memory I'm eating up before deciding if I really need more RAM... just don't want to blow another $280 on 64GB RAM and end up having BSODs heh.
 

minamikaze

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2016
Messages
2,075
Reaction score
229
On a side note, that 1070Ti that I got 2nd hand managed to push 3440 x 1440 in Ultra settings in Diablo 4 with silky smooth frame rates (didn't see the fps but felt really smooth to me).. I was rather impressed. I guess Diablo 4 isn't that demanding a game after all.
 

philips107

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2002
Messages
1,097
Reaction score
733
Ah, 64GB modules don't exist? I guess I must have missed what you said haha. I thought only Dynacore doesn't stock them (or that they're just very rare). Let me get my VMs up and see how much memory I'm eating up before deciding if I really need more RAM... just don't want to blow another $280 on 64GB RAM and end up having BSODs heh.
If u got some spare change left over, how about $400 (less if u can nego the price) for a 256GB Dell Precision Tower 7910 as backup / for the fun of it?
It's about 15% of your budget.

No feedback on seller though, so u may want to request testing on the spot before buying.

https://www.carousell.sg/p/desktop-...&t-referrer_page_type=like_page&t-tap_index=1
Dell Precision Tower 7910 XCTO
- Dual Intel Xeon Processor E5-2667 v3 (8C HT, 20MB Cache, 3.2GHz Turbo)
- 256GB (16x16GB) 2133MHz DDR4 RDIMM ECC
- 3.5 inch 2TB SATA 7.2k RPM HDD
- Additional Drive: 3.5 inch 2TB SATA 7.2k RPM HDD
- Nvidia Quadro K620 2GB (DP, DL-DVI-I) (1 DP to SL-DVI adapter)

U can change the CPUs to v4 Xeons for more cores if u need it (max 22 / CPU, so up to 44 cores).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...dwell-based)#Xeon_E5-26xx_v4_(dual-processor)The CPUs are cheap on Aliexpress.
Perhaps even cheaper on taobao etc, but my mandarin cmi, so I stick to Aliexpress.

Need to tamper expectations speed wise, as these are old CPUs and old RAMs.
But if it meets your needs (Memory hungry, not so computationally intensive), imo its a v good deal.
 

minamikaze

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2016
Messages
2,075
Reaction score
229
Thanks! However I checked out the CPU and it was released 9 years ago.. benchmark scores for the Ryzen 7900 beats it by about 3 times? Anyway, I probably don't want to run this at home as it'd be a power guzzler..

On a side note, I have about 3 VMs running now (with no browser opened) and already consuming 37 GB of RAM... my goal was to keep 6 VMs up even while I fire up Diablo IV for a quick round of gaming, lol. Looks like that additional 64GB RAM might be needed after all :(
 

minamikaze

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2016
Messages
2,075
Reaction score
229
Sorry guys, just wondering if anyone can help?
I looked at my Win 11 Task Manager and it's showing that my RAM's running at 4800 MHz.
I've already gone into BIOS and enabled everything possible to make it run at 5600 MHz - manually setting the frequency, enabling EXPO, enabling high voltage mode, but it's still stuck at 4800 MHz. Any ideas>
 

minamikaze

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2016
Messages
2,075
Reaction score
229
Sorry guys, just wondering if anyone can help?
I looked at my Win 11 Task Manager and it's showing that my RAM's running at 4800 MHz.
I've already gone into BIOS and enabled everything possible to make it run at 5600 MHz - manually setting the frequency, enabling EXPO, enabling high voltage mode, but it's still stuck at 4800 MHz. Any ideas>
Bump for the weekend
 

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2011
Messages
29,027
Reaction score
8,286
Sorry guys, just wondering if anyone can help?
I looked at my Win 11 Task Manager and it's showing that my RAM's running at 4800 MHz.
I've already gone into BIOS and enabled everything possible to make it run at 5600 MHz - manually setting the frequency, enabling EXPO, enabling high voltage mode, but it's still stuck at 4800 MHz. Any ideas>

u shld make new thread liao..

the title irrelevant to your current concerns
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top