Need advice on trouble shooting PC.

zkid

Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2002
Messages
433
Reaction score
0
Currently facing a problem I can't seem to pin-point cause.

Specs:
i5 2400 (bought 2012)
Gigabyte z68xp-ud3 (bought 2012)
2GB DDR3 x4 RAM (bought 2010, 2012)
500GB HDD (bought 2010)
Seasonic M2II 520W (bought 2010)
Palit GTX 970 (bought 2014)
Samsung 256GB SSD (bought 2016)

Problem:

1. During boot-up, monitor does not have any display. I believe the PC booted up fine as I can hear the Windows starting and the keyboard is responding to CAPSLOCK, NUMLOCK etc. I have to turn the PSU OFF and ON, disconnect and reconnect the HDMI to GPU, to get a display after couple of times trying. Switch 3 different type of cables of DVI and HDMI, same problem. But it is not on every start-up, sometimes it works for a few days, sometimes every day start up does not show display.


2. Random restarts during Youtube videos, idling and while gaming. I suspected RAM problems which I have removed 1 stick out when I couldn't boot after crashing due to beeping. It allowed me to boot but did not solve the crashing or loss of display.


3. GPU was moved to another PC and it work without problems with same monitor and cable. So I can cut that out from equation. Initially thought it was a faulty port on the GPU or monitor.


4. There was one time I suffered a crash while gaming, restarted and it did not detect the HDD. Only the SSD was present. Disconnect the HDD thinking it failed. But problem of lack of display and crashing still occurs. After linking back up the HDD, detects and works like normal.


At the moment, I think it has something to do with PSU or MOBO. Any help which might be it? Could a PSU cause all those problems due to insufficient or irregular power? Or is it due to a faulty MOBO causing these issues that are connected to it.
 

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2011
Messages
16,703
Reaction score
26
Base on your issues seems like really it's mobo issues. Psu can u test on other system and see what's the value of the power output, by using hwinfo or hwmonitor to check the power, next if u dun want to install den u can use paper clip test to test your psu.
 

zkid

Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2002
Messages
433
Reaction score
0
Base on your issues seems like really it's mobo issues. Psu can u test on other system and see what's the value of the power output, by using hwinfo or hwmonitor to check the power, next if u dun want to install den u can use paper clip test to test your psu.

My PSU is definitely running, since it can boot up, but just no display showing on the monitor. However, I am not sure if it is still working normally.

I'll try to see if I can start it up with display and run the hwinfo & hwmonitor. Although I am not sure what am I suppose to look out for.
 

commach

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2001
Messages
53,997
Reaction score
18
Clean the gold contacts on all the ram module and graphic card with an eraser before carry out other troubleshooting.

In many such cases, the system work without the need to buy any replacement due to poor contact on the ram and graphic card.
 

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
17,697
Reaction score
525
If after follow commach suggestion still no go, run memtest86. If fail, test one piece at a time and different slot too.
 

zkid

Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2002
Messages
433
Reaction score
0
Clean the gold contacts on all the ram module and graphic card with an eraser before carry out other troubleshooting.

In many such cases, the system work without the need to buy any replacement due to poor contact on the ram and graphic card.

Did it for all my RAM already before. But did not solve the no display or sudden crash even when it is idling.

Same for GPU when I suspected it was the issue.
 
Last edited:

zkid

Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2002
Messages
433
Reaction score
0
hav u tested using the lower pcie16 slot for gpu?

Unfortunately, that slot is faulty already. Previous owner already broke it. So can't use it anymore.

Are you suspecting the 16x PCIe slot is faulty?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top