New build for photo editing

shank118

Member
Joined
May 23, 2004
Messages
331
Reaction score
1
I would advice you to get 32gb worth of ram especially for LR and PS.

I have used PS and tried 16gb vs 32gb. I find that with 32gb opening more layers in PS will be a lot more responsive and i noticed, if you starve PS with RAM, things start to be pretty slow for a while as they are trying to “manage” low RAM capacity.

A good try is, when you load layers of up to 100 RAW files, 16gb your PS tend to work slightly slower than you have more RAM.

Drop 3600 to 3500. Chances are you will appreciate the higher clock speed. You dont need until 6c/12t. 6c/6t should suffice. Channel that budget to push for 32gb RAM instead. Get at least a 3200Mhz RAM.

For SSD, i dont think you will really need the fast NVME drive. Just get a regular SATA SSD but bigger storage size. Like 1tb onwards.

Yeah I'm definitely going to get 32gb RAM now. On my old system, I've experienced exactly what you describe lol, albeit that was only 8gb RAM.

You are referring to 3500 or 3500x? Either way the clock speed is lower or same as 3600 right?

As for the NVME, that would help with LR exporting, right?
 

NightRaven49

Master Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
3,742
Reaction score
1,580
if considering 3500 (non x) on basis of clocks, might as well go for the 3300x. 3300x has higher base (3.8 vs 3.6) and boost (4.3 vs 4.1) clocks, and actually handles multicore workloads a little bit better.
 

lhseong

Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2009
Messages
141
Reaction score
25
Thank you for the reply. Your casing is more of the cube kind right? Is that why the airflow isn't so good? I was wondering ifthe nzxt h510 or fractal design meshify c mini would work; they seem to have a few fan slots. Also, would it be a good idea to get a cpu cooler then?

For the power supply, is a smaller form psu unit necessary if I'm getting a mid tower case?

Oh and how does the B450m Pro 4 do? That is one of the motherboards I'm considering. Is it compatible out of the box with 3600 or have to do a bios update?

Yeap, the case is old case, and it is cube kind of design. I like the dual chamber design but it also limit the CPU cooler height.
However, with lots of fans installed, the airflow is good now.
Still wondering if needed to go for water cooling where this case is design for.

Mid tower casing ? you can consider to use full size PSU lor. Which is cheaper and more choices.
If you take mATX mobo, it seem waste of space with mid tower casing.

B450m Pro4 work OOB with 3600, I have no issue on the mobo as I dont OC anythings.
 

lhseong

Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2009
Messages
141
Reaction score
25
if considering 3500 (non x) on basis of clocks, might as well go for the 3300x. 3300x has higher base (3.8 vs 3.6) and boost (4.3 vs 4.1) clocks, and actually handles multicore workloads a little bit better.

Ya, I always recommend 3300x as it doesn't cross CCX which give more performance.
 

hafiz116

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2008
Messages
1,151
Reaction score
0
Ya, I always recommend 3300x as it doesn't cross CCX which give more performance.

Since this is a photo editing thread why is the CPU discussion reducing cores? Would have thought increasing cores/speed would be the way to go.
 

NightRaven49

Master Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
3,742
Reaction score
1,580
Since this is a photo editing thread why is the CPU discussion reducing cores? Would have thought increasing cores/speed would be the way to go.

photoshop is more clock dependent than core dependent. that's why intel cpus are usually better for ps workloads.
 

hafiz116

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2008
Messages
1,151
Reaction score
0
photoshop is more clock dependent than core dependent. that's why intel cpus are usually better for ps workloads.

Thanks for clearing that up. I am not into photo/video editing yet but going to start looking into it soon.
 

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2009
Messages
27,728
Reaction score
1,554
Depends. But looking at the price for 3300x, i felt that the 3500 will be a better buy. But it all depends on user wants to use or leverage for other usage.

Another way is to use intel. Find a i5 10600, dont need to buy gpu. Save money lol
 

shank118

Member
Joined
May 23, 2004
Messages
331
Reaction score
1
Yeap, the case is old case, and it is cube kind of design. I like the dual chamber design but it also limit the CPU cooler height.
However, with lots of fans installed, the airflow is good now.
Still wondering if needed to go for water cooling where this case is design for.

Mid tower casing ? you can consider to use full size PSU lor. Which is cheaper and more choices.
If you take mATX mobo, it seem waste of space with mid tower casing.

B450m Pro4 work OOB with 3600, I have no issue on the mobo as I dont OC anythings.

Oh yeah because the Tomahawk seems to be oos so if I don't manage to find it I might go for the Pro4. For Pro4 which casing would you recommend then?
 

lhseong

Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2009
Messages
141
Reaction score
25
Oh yeah because the Tomahawk seems to be oos so if I don't manage to find it I might go for the Pro4. For Pro4 which casing would you recommend then?

It is up to you then. You might need to search available casing model locally, either full tower/ATX/mATX/ITX cases, then look for the one suit your budget and go search for review.
Just make sure you have enough fans for good air ventilation and easy cables management.
Can't give too much opinion for you at this.
 

Mythmaker

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2004
Messages
11,772
Reaction score
0
photoshop is more clock dependent than core dependent. that's why intel cpus are usually better for ps workloads.

last time, yes. Now, not so much. Quite a few times I saw a 100% CPU load with my i5 4570 (4C/4T) while going through my usual workflow. I'm using PS CC 2020.

This is especially true if 3rd party plugins are involved, like color efex. Confirm hit 100% CPU usage for me on the i5 4570 and color efex also slows down alot.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top