New PC.

SuzuShin

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2016
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
So I just bought my PC yesterday. Thanks again! I just notice my network card doesn't support 5GHz. Are all network cards the same or is there a specific brand or something?
 

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2011
Messages
16,703
Reaction score
26
So I just bought my PC yesterday. Thanks again! I just notice my network card doesn't support 5GHz. Are all network cards the same or is there a specific brand or something?

which network card did u bought? and is your router capable of using 5Ghz?
 

uniquely_ad

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2011
Messages
1,292
Reaction score
11
So I just bought my PC yesterday. Thanks again! I just notice my network card doesn't support 5GHz. Are all network cards the same or is there a specific brand or something?



What wireless card r u using? You need to check if your cards support N or AC wireless usually this 2 types support 5ghz wireless
 

SuzuShin

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2016
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
i wonder did u check with the store staff or research abit? cos its the network card is issues.

I also notice it's the network card's problem. Because yesterday the guy asks if I want the USB one or the adapter one. I forgotten about the 5GHz in my router. So by default he gave me the 2.4 only. So I'm checking here if there's a 'good' 5GHz adapter card. lol.. I only slept for 4 hours so cannot think straight that time. haha
 

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2011
Messages
16,703
Reaction score
26
I also notice it's the network card's problem. Because yesterday the guy asks if I want the USB one or the adapter one. I forgotten about the 5GHz in my router. So by default he gave me the 2.4 only. So I'm checking here if there's a 'good' 5GHz adapter card. lol.. I only slept for 4 hours so cannot think straight that time. haha

so right now u want a adapter? maybe u can consider AC56 PCI-E
 

Encrypted11

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2012
Messages
5,937
Reaction score
271
I see.. Ok, thanks again man. Going to buy it later. :D

I use an RT-N56U (tx / rx power 80%) and TP Link T6E AC 1200. I don't know the limits of this broadcom based NIC but it gives me 60+dBm signal at 10M away on 802.11A 5GHz (not AC). It sits at 180/200Mbps up/down approximately. Should be capable of more at AC. Should be router bottleneck at the moment.

Very stable and consistent thruput, its almost a flat bar on speedtest shooting up to its max instantly (but need to download reference drivers from broadcom at station-drivers (custom tplink drivers throughput fluctuates a lot, got from video pro at around $38-40 qoo10 coupon.

I can remove its black heat sink to turn it into a true 1 slot PCIe card, it still runs cool at room temperature.

But I think my average signals are a result of average NIC antennas + average router with internal antennas.

Edit: $42.
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top