NorthFace jacket review?

magicdriplet

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 15, 2012
Messages
66
Reaction score
0
I was looking around for reviews for NorthFace down jackets but seems like there is a complete lack of reviews locally.

I was told by the salesperson at NorthFace that for the 800 series, just a long sleeve shirt coupled with the down jacket is enough to keep me warm enough for 0-5 degrees.
Seems hardly believable or I am ignorant?:s22:
Pretty interested in the jacket as the whole jacket can be compressed into the pocket and compressed into a very small size.

Anyone with experience can share?
Thanks!
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
No matter what u need to layer. When u say 0-5 I assume its Celsius. Where u going?
It's more than enough to handle that. I don't wear just long sleeve shirt, but a tee under the shirt.
In winter under -10-15c I just wore a tee, shirt, sweater and a down jacket.

Depends on cold tolerance some ppl living in Canada in 0c just wore tee shirt and sweater.

That's my experience from living in northern USA.
 
Last edited:

fone

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2002
Messages
5,183
Reaction score
19
Alot depends on your cold tolerance and how long you are exposed to the cold. I'm only using T-shirt plus down jacket, though this is for short periods outdoors (less than 20 minutes), either hiding in car or mall / shops. For much longer outdoors, I use an additional sweatshirt (down jacket is abit big, so need to fill up the gaps) and I'm even sweating with this. But this is with years living in US like patryn33. I'll also need gloves and ear muffs.

Please choose the jacket such that it is a good fit, and you should be good. Additional thinner layers can be added, if you are still cold afterwards.
 

magicdriplet

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 15, 2012
Messages
66
Reaction score
0
Hi, yup its 0-5 celsius, I will be in Europe in December. Felt the jacket and it felt thin so I was kinda worried that maybe it wouldnt be able to do its job.
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Not been using gloves and ear muffs for me today, when I was in Minneapolis at 2-3am ya that is much needed. Temps with wind chill there go as low as -20c
 

fone

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2002
Messages
5,183
Reaction score
19
Hi, yup its 0-5 celsius, I will be in Europe in December. Felt the jacket and it felt thin so I was kinda worried that maybe it wouldnt be able to do its job.

Haha, ask if they offer refunds or exchange. Then look for shops where they have sub zero temperatures with public access (I frequently buy sashimi from this warehouse where you go into their big freezer to shop, which is 5 below zero IIRC and I can only last like 5 minutes without any jacket), bring your new purchase (don't cut the tag), wear in and feel for yourself.
 

LifeCreator

Junior Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2005
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
Hi, yup its 0-5 celsius, I will be in Europe in December. Felt the jacket and it felt thin so I was kinda worried that maybe it wouldnt be able to do its job.

Hi Magicdriplet, same here i plan to go Finland in Dec, and now looking for Winder Jacket to keep warm below -10. Same as you, i am wondering how good of NorthFace's jackets, and wish to get some advice here. :)
 

alpc

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2000
Messages
2,008
Reaction score
0
It's all boils down to how tolerant to cold you are. I always thought I was pretty tolerant to it till I experienced neg 31. Jackets, with down or some lofty layers should be good enough (along with innerwear of course) - does not really matter what brand it is.

Most important, to me, are the gloves and shoes... My body was ok, could have added in another sweatshirt, but my hands and feet were harder to protect - gloves seems to be still too thin and my shoes were like still not enough warm. That's the 2 locations where cold was bad that it affects the rest of the body.

But I do notice that if I dump in a shoe warmer pack, the pack don't really work which means there were moisture in the shoes. Which could explain why I felt my feet were too cold. Still yet to work out how to resolve that.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top