O'Level Tips/Feedback + JC Advice

tw3nty1

Junior Member
Joined
May 13, 2015
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi all! I will be taking the O'Levels this year and I would like some advice on how to do well and also feedback about the stuff I've said.

I guess that you can say that I'm from a "prestigious" school but our results aren't much to boast about. Basically, my results now are sub-standard and I have set high targets for my O's. I'm aiming for 8 raw (6 nett) to enter ACJC Science. I intend on taking the BCMG (H1 Geography), combination.

My subject combination is...
1) English (Target: A1)
[I guess my English is generally quite good. Usually come as one of the top 3 in class. Enough said...]
2) Chinese (Target: A2)
[I've been told that my fundamentals are good and I speak well. However, I've been getting rusty and not really picking up the skills well in school. Score tends to fluctuate and I often do not have enough time to complete my paper, especially Paper 2]
3) Elementary Mathematics (Target: A1)
[Have been bad at Mathematics since Day 1 of secondary school. Improved alot in Sec 2 and big improvement this year also. I actually find the syllabus easy now. Problem again is I'm always slow at completing questions]
4) Additional Mathematics (Target: I don't know...... A2?)
[Gave me a large headache from the start. Studied alot after my SA2 in Sec 3 though and see quite a big improvement. However, recently don't really have alot of time to practice and henceforth not doing too well now. See quite a big room for improvement and I sorta believe that I can make it although I'm not really too certain now...]
5) Chemistry (Target: A1)
[My niche :D If I fail = I didn't study]
6) Science (Physics/Biology) (Target: A1)
[Strong in Biology, weak in Physics. Have genuine hate for Physics although I've been telling myself this year that it is unavoidable and I cannot continue pretending it doesn't exist. Must get my A1 since its Combined Science which is easy and it would be hard for me to get H2 Biology without my A1/2]
7) Humanities (SS/Geography) (Target: A1)
[Very strong in the content but I guess you can say that I haven't really grasped the answering skills yet...]

As you can see, I only take 7 subjects, which is VERY risky. I really hope to do well and I guess I've pinpointed the main cause of me not scoring well now...
Last minute work! I think procrastination is probably what kills 90% of students. School/Class culture is also the study-one-day-before-exam type. We always work last minute and I often have to cram loads of information down my head at 3 am. Results are mediocre... I tell myself that I have the potential as I have seen great improvement in some of my subjects (especially E Math) as compared to last year and I once accomplished quite a "feat" at Sec 2 where I improved from 4x% overall in SA1 to 7x% overall in SA2 but thats another story...

I have set very high targets for myself and I would really like to accomplish them. I know that scoring 8 raw for L1R5 is not easy (4 A1s + 2 A2s). Based on statistics, my combination in my school usually scores and average L1R5 of approximately 13. Therefore I guess I will have to perform quite a bit above average to hit 8, which I am currently not doing. I have decided that Poly is not my cup of tea and therefore I would like to enter JC :) The subject combination is pretty much decided as I've been thinking about it since Sec 2, when I chose my combination.

I live in the West and I guess I would list my preferences for the JCs in this order: ACJC (Science/Arts: 6/7), NYJC (Science/Arts: 7/8), SAJC (Science/Arts: 9/9), CJC (Science/Arts: 10/10). Told myself that any L1R5 above 14 and I'm going to Poly since the more low-tier JCs don't offer a very high chance of university admission. Would really really like to enter ACJC since its the closest plus the campus is great and the culture is quite my thing >_< Basically, I think I would enjoy myself there and they seem to be quite a work hard, play hard JC. Has been my dream + I have an obsession about it (yeah call me siao but @.@)

So guys... Any comments/feedback/bashing? I guess the main problem is consistency eh? Cannot let myself be affected by my peers? People often regret and say "I would have started earlier" Problem is if I maintain my results now you'll probably see me in College West next year. As I have quite alot to catch up now, I have been thinking quite abit on this and would like to hear about what others think. Hope that this would help other students who are with me on this journey towards O'Levels too :) THANK YOU
 

ahcang

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2014
Messages
66
Reaction score
0
I won't say you are right that poly has a higher chance of making to university than lower tier JCs. You probably have no idea what's the education system like in polytechnic, the criteria of making to university and the influence, culture of polytechnic.

It is more of which system of education is suitable for you as JC track is very different from poly track.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top