Overheating Laptop Y470P

Moolahs123

Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2014
Messages
296
Reaction score
0
Hi. I own a Lenovo Y470P with a switchable graphics, AMD Radeon 7690M and Intel Graphics 3000. Lately I've been having overheating issues with my laptop when I was playing games. I downloading GPU-Z to measure my GPU temperature which shows GPU tempt of up to 95-98 degrees, it gets really hot and I'm sure its not normal as I check the fan speed which is only stuck at 30% no matter how hot the GPU and laptop gets.

The only time I got the fan speed to 100% is when I downloaded MSI afterburner which set the fan speed to 100%, but when I close it, the GPU fan drops back to 30% as shown on GPU-Z. What should I do?

I have tried reinstalling my drivers and updating it with the original drivers from Lenovo. Please advise. Thank you.

Edit: I have cleaned my laptop fan as well. Is there a problem with my GPU fan? It seems to work fine when I run normal programs, but the fan doesn't seem to increase from 30% when it gets really hot when I'm running games. I tried switching from Energy Star, Balanced, and High Performance as well but no avail.
 

SuperClubby

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2010
Messages
15,497
Reaction score
4,120
I think you'll have to manually ramp up the fan via Afterburner/AMD CC Overdrive. Does it have proper airflow under it and make sure the vents aren't blocked?
 

Moolahs123

Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2014
Messages
296
Reaction score
0
I think you'll have to manually ramp up the fan via Afterburner/AMD CC Overdrive. Does it have proper airflow under it and make sure the vents aren't blocked?

Manually? I'm scared of overclocking my graphic card as that's what MSI Afterburner does.. Yes it does.
 

SuperClubby

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2010
Messages
15,497
Reaction score
4,120
Manually? I'm scared of overclocking my graphic card as that's what MSI Afterburner does.. Yes it does.

As long you don't touch the mem clock/ volt/ coreclock, you will be fine. Just change the fan speed only.:)
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top