The majority of the opposition candidates are opportunists who love to hog the limelight. They have no intention to serve the public at all. All they care about is whether they are the center of attention or not. Any Tom, Dick and Harry knows that the most effective way to fight against the incumbent is for all the opposition parties to unite together as one and fight under a common banner with a common goal. That is if the opposition parties really care about fighting for the common folks. But sad to say, they are not. All of them want to be leaders, they want to stay in the limelight, they want to be seen by the public. That is why they created their own parties – whoever made up the members of their party does not matter, as long as the members stay as members and they themselves remain as the leaders. This is what I call OPPORTUNISTS. You think they give a **** about us? I don’t think so. We are just a tool, another platform for them to promote themselves.
In the last election, I was a hard core WP supporter utterly disappointed by the performance of PAP, especially in their management of the FT policy, transportation problems, housing problems etc. I jumped for joy when WP won their first ever GRC. But of course that came at the expense of a good Minister for Foreign Affairs. 4 years later, I ask myself – how did WP perform in Parliament? Did they really keep their co-driver in check and slap them (not physically of course) when necessary? Did they represent our voices and create (or try to create) a First World Parliament? Did they make their numbers count in Parliament as compared to previous years when they only had 1 or 2 MPs? Did they bring their tigerish rally performance over to the Parliament? Most importantly, how was their performance in managing a bigger scale GRC? Frankly speaking, it’s a resounding NO to all of the above. I didn’t hear anything of substance from them. I didn’t hear anything at all from Chen Show Mao. I only hear evasive response from Sylvia and team. What did they contribute during these 4 years? We traded all these for a good PAP man – George Yeo. Worth it? No.
To be fair to PAP, they did put in the effort to improve things. They replaced the unpopular ministers with young capable ones. Of course, social media helped too but at least I can see PAP trying to make things right. FT policy has been addressed to a certain extent. Housing problems were also addressed but the damage (pricing) has already been done by the previous office to be effectively reversible. Transport problems have been addressed with the addition of more trains and buses but breakdowns still occur – partly due to aging of the system but at least the problem was being looked into. What we need to do is to take a step back and look at Singapore as a whole and then compare with our neighbouring countries. Are our lives really that bad? Yes, cost of living is high, stress level is high but that’s the trade-off for having a well-oiled economy. We have no natural resource and we have to make ourselves relevant to the world. It’s certainly within our rights to complain but let’s be rational and not be swayed by all the sweet talks during rallies. I’ve learnt a lot from the last election. Most of the hard work are done in the background on a daily basis, not during rallies and election period.
PS: By the way, I’m not a PAP IB or anything like that. I’m just a normal citizen.