PC restarts when playing games

spiky0180

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2009
Messages
539
Reaction score
0
I RMA my motherboard on Mon (18 Jul). Last Fri (15 Jul), Tech dynamic also passed me a refurbished PSU. All was working fine until now.

I was playing CS:Go earlier tonight and the computer ran without problems. I took a break and resume playing. The computer will restart very early into the game, I think barely 2 minutes. There was no BSOD or error message. The computer just restarted like someone hit the reset button.

I thought it could be CS:GO, so I tried Dota2. The computer lasted longer before having the same restart problem.

The computer was behaving normally when I am surfing on chrome, watching youtube, spotify, etc. But the problem only occur when I play games.

Anyone knows what is the cause? Or is it another component breaking down? Temperatures on hardware monitor seem ok at idle. CPU (43c), GPU(40c).
 

spiky0180

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2009
Messages
539
Reaction score
0
The one on the right?

Asrock B85 killer (RMA) + i5 4460
Crucial valueram 8gb
Powercolor R9 280
FSP Aurum S (RMA)
WD Blue 1tb
Samsung Evo 850 250gb SSD
Win 10
 

SEvsNK

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2004
Messages
22,594
Reaction score
514
Usually restarts might also be ram. But since no blue screen. Then most probably is psu
 

Phyber

Master Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2004
Messages
4,185
Reaction score
0
You mention issue only happens when u play games.

Can you take out the r9 280 and run the games using on board mobo gfx? Dota2 should be able to still run.

Suspect could be gfx card.
I had a similar problem last time and end up is because the fan on the gfx card die. So when it heats up upon playing games gave funny problems.
 
Last edited:

spiky0180

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2009
Messages
539
Reaction score
0
I will try with on board graphics tonight. If still the same problem I will probably bring the whole thing to nigel's shop to diagnose tomorrow.
 

zephyr11

Master Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2001
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
12
I had the same problem, sometimes ok, sometimes 5min then restart.

was PSU. after in installed new psu, all is good.
 

spiky0180

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2009
Messages
539
Reaction score
0
Saw in another thread that the 12V rail of the PSU may be causing the problem by not supplying enough power to the GPU during games. Tonight will go home to check the 12V.
 

spiky0180

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2009
Messages
539
Reaction score
0
I used HWinfo to check. The +12 reading is currently at 11.510v. With minimum, maximum and average at 11.141v, 11.616v and 11.529v respectively.

12V rail has something wrong?

Sorry, can't insert image because photobucket is down.
 

spiky0180

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2009
Messages
539
Reaction score
0
Rma the PSU yesterday. Now working fine. Played some games last night without any problems. But will monitor for a few days.
 

Phyber

Master Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2004
Messages
4,185
Reaction score
0
Good to know. Computer working back to normal is a shiok feeling.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top