PC weird starting up

Gloom me

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2008
Messages
11,517
Reaction score
20
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/h...-hwz-rogues-fall-4388590-16.html#post85774838

maybe u can try setting above see if makes any diff, altho different board...

- If you're experiencing a double POST on your Gene-Z68 motherboard whereupon after powering on the system from a cold boot, the board will power on and then immediately reset itself before it actually POSTs and shows any display on the screen, then

To fix the most common additional reset (double POST when powering on from off state), enter UEFI BIOS -> go to ‘Advanced’ tab -> go down to ‘APM’, press Enter -> enable the “Power on by PCIe.” function.

Then press F10 to save & exit. After save & exit, let the system boot into Windows or other OS, then perform a proper shutdown: Start button -> Shut down. You will no longer have the double POST.

Wha Bro, you power lah.. can dig up all these.

Above steps points to a new thing I have not tried yet. Will try when I get home and post result. ;)
 

Gloom me

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2008
Messages
11,517
Reaction score
20
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/h...-hwz-rogues-fall-4388590-16.html#post85774838

maybe u can try setting above see if makes any diff, altho different board...

:( No love...

Last resort is this liao...

bcXg6bl.jpg
 

Coolman

Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2009
Messages
5,102
Reaction score
0
not sure u wan to try tis, do u have a non-seasonic spare psu, if u have try boot up and c.
i have 2 gold seasonic psu and whevever i pair wif asus it always give me cold boot power up difficulties.
 

Gloom me

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2008
Messages
11,517
Reaction score
20
not sure u wan to try tis, do u have a non-seasonic spare psu, if u have try boot up and c.
i have 2 gold seasonic psu and whevever i pair wif asus it always give me cold boot power up difficulties.

Hey thanks for the suggestion. I've tried with 2 PSU but both of it are Seasonic. I'll try to see if I can get another brand PSU to test. :)
 

Coolman

Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2009
Messages
5,102
Reaction score
0
Hey thanks for the suggestion. I've tried with 2 PSU but both of it are Seasonic. I'll try to see if I can get another brand PSU to test. :)

i have build for my self abt 8 pc for last 5 yrs, 5 still using, 2 thrown way and one give it to someone close.
it could be me only, i pair wif seasonic gold got cold boot problem, den i use a Andyson psu no more problem, den i pair wif msi and giga mobo wif seasonic , no problem.
cnt said which fault, now i no more getting asus mobo, as for seasonic i got no more money for it.
ur sypmtom seem like a boot problem, yet can be seem a like power up (edit: cuf off) and re-power up again, could b a voltage threshold sensitive
 
Last edited:

Gloom me

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2008
Messages
11,517
Reaction score
20
Found this through googling which describe exactly the same problem as mine.

LINK

Anyone? :o

From a cold boot, meaning all power totally disconnected at the wall, the system will power on for less than a second and then power off completely. After two seconds of being powered off this will repeat and on the third "attempt" the computer will boot.
To be very specific here is what happens:

  1. The power is turned on at the wall and on the psu, the orange stdby LED on the mobo is illuminated but the system is 'off'.
  2. I hit the power button on the case or on the mobo itself
  3. I hear the relay (?) in the psu closing
  4. The case light comes on and the mobo power light comes on.
  5. The fans start rotating.
  6. Immediately after this the I hear some relay click - the power lights extinguish, the fans stop, the stdby light remains on.
  7. Less than 2 seconds pass and the cycle repeats without any intervention from me.
  8. On the third attempt it boots normally and the machine runs perfectly.

If I do a soft reboot or a full shutdown the computer starts normally the next time. It's only if I pull the power cord or flick the switch off on the PSU that I get the cycling again. Basically any time the stdby light on the mobo goes out.

I have removed the graphics card and I get the same problem.

I have removed the PSU, hotwired it to the ON position and verified voltages on all lines. The relay does not cycle when I do this.
If I connect only the 24 pin ATX connector to the mobo and not the 8 pin ATX12V / CPU connector then I will not get the cycling, the fans run, the power light stays on, but obviously the system can't boot.

Disconnecting all fans has no effect on the problem.

My feeling it that it's something to do with the motherboard like a capacitor that's taking a long time to charge because it's leaking or something along those lines. But I can't imagine what could be 'wrong' with it and only manifest itself as a problem under these very specific circumstances.
 

Coolman

Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2009
Messages
5,102
Reaction score
0
wen u press e switch, it create a pwm, and e pulse width is affected by the charging and decharging of the capacitor of pwm circuit, while it remain on, it will check e condition of other pin connectors like whether other volatges ready, overvoltage... b4 it trigger e boot. so there is a time duration which involve e psu and mobo, either e specs dun meet each other well or a fault some where.
capacitor r charge up to storage and discharge wen not require.
wen it suppose to discharge in certain stage , it shld discharge if not it will not able to charge on.
dat y sometime wen pc dun boot up or u c mobo led is lit even power is switch(off), way to discharge is disconnect either from plug if not e power connector on e mobo, as some line is tie to a high level.
example will be some usb hub wif it own power when pc switch off e hub itself still have power led on, which still connected to e mobo.
so pc turn on, it may detect a overvoltage and hence refuse to turn on only after u unplug e usb hub.
 
Last edited:

Gloom me

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2008
Messages
11,517
Reaction score
20
Hi, just an update on the issue I'm facing, in case someone has the same problem.

It is NOT a hardware issue. I cannot pin point exactly what but I'm almost certain it is a BIOS issue.

In my above posts, I mentioned I'd dismantle everything and install just the minimum hardware to troubleshoot. Even re-flash the BIOS (1504). I'd somehow solved it (initially) by lowering the CPU FAN MIN to 400 rpm. But when I fixed back everything, the problem came back.

[SOLVED]

I'd almost given up and accept that it is how the mobo works. I've read up and peeps at ROG FORUM indicated it is NORMAL.

Maximus VI Formula Test Boot: Double boot before seeing display

How to fix Asus Maximus VI Extreme from double booting?

Maximus VI Hero "Double POST" Cold Boot Problem

Maximus VI Hero - "Double Boot" - When Cold Booting
Fake boot on Maximus VII Hero!

But few days ago, I saw there is an update for M6F BIOS (1603). So I updated it using ASUS BIOS UPDATER. After updating and the initial POST, the error 'CPU FAN ERROR' came up! Now I was happy to see it! Because this error came up before during my troubleshooting and after lowering it to 400 rpm, the PC do not double boot anymore.

So I try it again. Load OPTIMIZED DEFAULTS, changed PROFILE to XMP and lower the CPU FAN MIN to 400.Wham! It works! It has been 3 days now and my PC does not double boot anymore. I'd changed ALL the other fans setting EXCEPT for the CPU FAN. I'll leave it as it is now and monitor it for a while. After which I'll try to change the CPU FAN setting and see if the problem comes back. If not, I'll start to OC again and see if it's a NORMAL problem if we change the UEFI BIOS settings.

NOTE: The default CPU FAN setting is making my CPU fan hovering about 600+ rpm which I feel is too low. CPU TEMP IDLE is about 37C to 43C.



So, is this a BIOS issue? Or is it NORMAL according to peeps at ROG Forum?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top