Project HELIOS - Invocation Begins 10.01.10

ghillie

Master Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2005
Messages
4,509
Reaction score
17
For a product with giveaway rights, you can give it a w a y free but you cannot sell the product . Usually, you cannot change the product in any way. The exception is if the product includes rebranding rights. How can you use it? With giveaway rights, you can give away the product as an incentive to join your mailing list. If you are selling a product, you can use the giveaway product as a bonus. Or you can just give the product away on your Web site to attract visitors. The additional benefit of having rebranding rights is that you can make money from the affiliate links.


MOD , ban this guy pls..
 

Langer

Member
Joined
Sep 20, 2008
Messages
221
Reaction score
0
SO it turns out making large aerogel monoliths is an incredible challenge in engineering, patience, and chemistry.

I can make little beads and small pieces all day long... I'd even go so far as to say I have the 'gel' making process down to an art. BUT, Manufacturing the large chunks I envision is proving somewhat unobtainable... but I'm getting through it.

The process of making Aerogel with any level of precision or clarity requires a pressure vessel (called a supercritical dryer) which can handle about 75bar, or about 1000psi. And if you know anything about pressure tanks, a 1000psi is one hell-of-a feat.

This has not phased me however... I've been endeavorering to acquire the necessary materials to build my own "supercritical dryer". My design features an internal area large enough to allow the creation of parts 26"x10"x2". Bare with me on that front as it needs extreme care and caution - else it will become a very impressive bomb.

Also, I've gone through about a grand worth of chemicals now, and I'm awaiting another delivery of the base elements which go-into creating this magnificent material.

i'll quote a section from my recipe so you can get a better idea of the process:
Aerogel Recipe said:
9) Once gel has set, soak under ethanol for 24hrs.

10) Replace ethanol and allow to soak for 5-7days, changing ethanol every 36hrs

11) Supercritically dry the gel.
a) Transfer gel into the super critical dryer (at your own risk).
b) Replace the atmosphere with CO2 (at your own risk, lol).
c) Begin to heat the atmosphere in the dryer. (you're not reading this are you?)
d) Heat the CO2 past its critical point (31.1°C and 72.9 bars) to ~45°C . (goodluck)
e) Maintaining a pressure of ~100 bars. (???)
f) Depressurize at ~7 bar h-1. (profit)

12) If you're still alive, remove gel from the supercritical dryer and machine to spec.



As a poit of reference the tiny dryer I have now with a chamber just 0.8"x0.8"x1" (made from a high-pressure pipe X joint) ran about $800 with all the valves, fittings, gauges, and such.

The dryer I'm currently using is based off this reference:
helios-supercritical-dryer-ref.jpg

***THESE ARE NOT HOME DEPOT FITTINGS!
THEY ARE SPECIALIZED HIGH PRESSURE FITTINGS!
DO NOT TRY TO BUILD A SUPER CRITICAL DRYER WITHOUT EXTREME CAUTION!***


The big dryer I'm working on is seeing some extreme manufacturing, redundancy, composites, and fittings... I wont be blowing it - I'n fact I plan to start selling Aerogel monoliths (nomenclature for big pieces of this stuff) to offset the incredible project costs.



Since the Aerogel is taking longer than expected...
I'll let you in on the next step
...LEDs are so 2010.

I decree that 2011 be the year of radioactive isotope case lighting!
helios-tritium-inserts-01.jpg


Various pieces of custom formed Tritium as well as off the shelf tritium inserts will be the illumination feature for Helios.

Tritium requires no "charging" and glows entirely passively without the need for power or electricity of any kind.

Gun buffs may have seen this stuff before in high-end tactical sights.
helios-tritium-inserts-02.png


Read more on the stuff here: http://www.mbmicrotec.com
 

xtreme84

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2009
Messages
1,782
Reaction score
4
It's really impressive and interesting, what you're doing. I'm sure we all can't wait to see your results.
 

oakley_870

Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2004
Messages
5,168
Reaction score
0
this is getting toooooo loonnggg.... i cant wait any longggerrr !!!

TS please work faster !!!!!!! :s13:
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top