R9 280 or 285?

djdestiny

Senior Member
Joined
May 19, 2010
Messages
1,236
Reaction score
11
It's overpriced when it first comes out... Always. this is power color at it's best.
 

herzog21

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2006
Messages
1,266
Reaction score
6
hi, can know where u bought the msi r9 280 for $299 at?
I am planning to visit sls later to check it out and do price comparision.

Am planning to do a upgrade on my 5850 and the 280 seems a good choice as recommended by Alternative-X. But then i noticed the power consumption. It's 200 watts as compared to 151 watts for 5850?!:eek:
 

king81

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 13, 2005
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Hi, you can get it at videopro for $299 .Free delivery is also provided as the product is over $100 if you are lazy to go down to simlim square. Do take note that the free delivery is not on the same day of order , have to wait 2-3 days for it though. I went down there to pick it up as i dont wanna wait ( sick of igp). Do call them to enquire before going down just to make sure got stocks.
I was also on 5850 TF2 previously, the power usage of the r9 280 was considerately high but it was alot more powerful than the 5850 so thats understandable (5850 has about the same performance as the current r7 260 / 260x ).
 

djdestiny

Senior Member
Joined
May 19, 2010
Messages
1,236
Reaction score
11
Hi, you can get it at videopro for $299 .Free delivery is also provided as the product is over $100 if you are lazy to go down to simlim square. Do take note that the free delivery is not on the same day of order , have to wait 2-3 days for it though. I went down there to pick it up as i dont wanna wait ( sick of igp). Do call them to enquire before going down just to make sure got stocks.
I was also on 5850 TF2 previously, the power usage of the r9 280 was considerately high but it was alot more powerful than the 5850 so thats understandable (5850 has about the same performance as the current r7 260 / 260x ).

It's not high at all.
Amazon.com: Sapphire Radeon R9 285 2GB GDDR5 HDMI/DVI-I/Dual Mini DP ITX Compact OC Version PCI-Express Graphics Card 11235-06-20G: Computers & Accessories

This not even a ref design (ref PCB design but not ref cooler) and it runs okay!
Even MSI 270X also got short card.
Like I said it only pulls 270x power range or lower. It sure is more than a 750ti but is also a awful lot faster
 

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2013
Messages
11,578
Reaction score
540
Well the tuned 7970 would be the 280XTL (XTL variants of Tahiti)

What I meant by "re-tuned" was a tuning design to cut down a 7970. Because it seems like a reoptimised and downgraded Tahiti chip is what the 285 is acheiving imo.

As much as I love AMD for the value they bring to wallet-strained users, I'm a bit sick of their marketing jargon. Rebranding Pitcairn as a brand new Curacao, hyping 290X as a Titan/780 killer, and now claiming 285 as a 1080p++ muncher

Their CPU department is much worse though
 

herzog21

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2006
Messages
1,266
Reaction score
6
MSI R9 280 from Videopro is sold out. They not stocking it anymore so congrats to whoever got them.:s8::(
 

djdestiny

Senior Member
Joined
May 19, 2010
Messages
1,236
Reaction score
11
What I meant by "re-tuned" was a tuning design to cut down a 7970. Because it seems like a reoptimised and downgraded Tahiti chip is what the 285 is acheiving imo.

As much as I love AMD for the value they bring to wallet-strained users, I'm a bit sick of their marketing jargon. Rebranding Pitcairn as a brand new Curacao, hyping 290X as a Titan/780 killer, and now claiming 285 as a 1080p++ muncher

Their CPU department is much worse though

I think your field of view right now is on the wrong side :s11:
MSI R9 280 from Videopro is sold out. They not stocking it anymore so congrats to whoever got them.:s8::(
For all you know it may be a ref cooler. :o
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top