Renouncing PR during NS - Process

  • Need help?
    Reach out to someone from Samaritans of Singapore (24 hours): Call 1-767 or WhatsApp 9151-1767 More info

BoOkInToBoOkOuT

Junior Member
Joined
May 10, 2019
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
I've done some research before, and I've heard how everyone keeps saying how a Singaporean can't renounce Citizenship during NS, but hardly anything about PR.

I have depression and severe insomnia, and even a memo from IMH. But neither my camp nor my MO wishes to escalate this to ***, even though my memo said so. I am in an active combat vocation.

Instead, they called in a defense psychologist (he's part of the volunteer corps as far as I understand) and he told me he got no power to change my vocation, and since I was PR, he suggested I revoke my PR.

At first I was mad at his answer, but then I realized no matter how many times I speak to my commanders, my MO, go IMH, they're not going to escalate it soon or quickly enough.

The thought of booking in itself is enough to ruin entire weekends for me, and I just hole up at home. The psychologist tell me oh since you don't have suicidal thoughts I don't think you have a serious problem. I'm like of course I want to kill myself but I know I can get help and there are ways out of this so I'm taking it fml

But anyways I thought about it and going overseas means that I can save at least the rest of my NS time and pursue my studies or do something productive with my life.

Before anyone comes in saying eh so weak cannot do army or **** like that, they please understand that not everyone is able to cope with army, and given I studied the past few years overseas and came back for NS, I wouldn't say I was prepared as well. So all those who gonna say I'm weak and unprepared, I accept it. But I'm here for advice on what to do in the future, and not to be chided or ridiculed for things that has already happened

I would like assistance from anyone with knowledge as to cancelation of PR during NS, the process, the processing time, how long I can stay in SG after its revoked, and if I have to stay in camp until I get the notification for renounciation (if yes, are there any measures I can take to stay out of camp for that time)

I would prefer not to try and fit into NS anymore as I've accepted defeat, so please help me in ^^

I apologize for this long ass post and thank everyone who replies to this thread in advance profusely, for your time and assistance, and I hope I can salvage something from this
 
Last edited:

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
66,292
Reaction score
5,868
I've done some research before, and I've heard how everyone keeps saying how a Singaporean can't renounce Citizenship during NS, but hardly anything about PR.

I have depression and severe insomnia, and even a memo from IMH. But neither my camp nor my MO wishes to escalate this to ***, even though my memo said so. I am in an active combat vocation.

Instead, they called in a defense psychologist (he's part of the volunteer corps as far as I understand) and he told me he got no power to change my vocation, and since I was PR, he suggested I revoke my PR.

At first I was mad at his answer, but then I realized no matter how many times I speak to my commanders, my MO, go IMH, they're not going to escalate it soon or quickly enough.

The thought of booking in itself is enough to ruin entire weekends for me, and I just hole up at home. The psychologist tell me oh since you don't have suicidal thoughts I don't think you have a serious problem. I'm like of course I want to kill myself but I know I can get help and there are ways out of this so I'm taking it fml

But anyways I thought about it and going overseas means that I can save at least the rest of my NS time and pursue my studies or do something productive with my life.

Before anyone comes in saying eh so weak cannot do army or **** like that, they please understand that not everyone is able to cope with army, and given I studied the past few years overseas and came back for NS, I wouldn't say I was prepared as well. So all those who gonna say I'm weak and unprepared, I accept it. But I'm here for advice on what to do in the future, and not to be chided or ridiculed for things that has already happened

I would like assistance from anyone with knowledge as to cancelation of PR during NS, the process, the processing time, how long I can stay in SG after its revoked, and if I have to stay in camp until I get the notification for renounciation (if yes, are there any measures I can take to stay out of camp for that time)

I would prefer not to try and fit into NS anymore as I've accepted defeat, so please help me in ^^

I apologize for this long ass post and thank everyone who replies to this thread in advance profusely, for your time and assistance, and I hope I can salvage something from this
Lets see if there's anyone here who have renounced their PR while in NS before, but I doubt. In any case based on common sense and logic, did some googling (spoon feeding .

These are for renunciation while overseas, but the common thing is it still goes to ICA.

https://www.mfa.gov.sg/Overseas-Mis...rmanent-Residence---Cancellation-of-Valid-REP

https://www.mfa.gov.sg/Overseas-Mis...Renunciation-of-Singapore-Permanent-Residence

So your best bet is to check with ICA https://www.ica.gov.sg/contact-us whether you can renounce while you are still in NS.

Independent of whether you get to renounce while you are in NS or not (common sense and logic again)...

After renunciation, as you don't have any valid reason to continue to remain in Singapore, I don't think you can stay for long, if you can even stay. Cause maybe at most you are in Singapore on tourist visa? But then again, you didn't come in on a tourist visa, so not sure if that will be valid.

----------

If you get to renounce while in NS, I think logically the step would be you need to renounce first before your NS obligation can be terminated, so I guess you have to stay in camp? Cause doesn't make sense for your NS obligation to be terminated prior to renunciation.

Are there any measures to stay out of camp? Logic and common sense again, what are the reasons one can stay out of camp even if is different circumstances as yours. Maybe you want to think a bit?
 

BoOkInToBoOkOuT

Junior Member
Joined
May 10, 2019
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Thank you for your input and direction reddevil0728 :') I will look out for someone who got do this before, so I can have some step by step guidance
 

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
66,292
Reaction score
5,868
Thank you for your input and direction reddevil0728 :') I will look out for someone who got do this before, so I can have some step by step guidance

You have been fed some direction, I don’t think you should be waiting to be spoon fed step by step.

If there’s nobody who have been through this, or if there is just that they are not sharing it here or anywhere, then you will just wait until you ORD?

No right. You already cannot take it anymore, n u don’t mind waiting somemore?
 

BoOkInToBoOkOuT

Junior Member
Joined
May 10, 2019
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
You have been fed some direction, I don’t think you should be waiting to be spoon fed step by step.

If there’s nobody who have been through this, or if there is just that they are not sharing it here or anywhere, then you will just wait until you ORD?

No right. You already cannot take it anymore, n u don’t mind waiting somemore?

No as in I will start the cancelation process but hopefully someone comes along so I can be assisted on how to deal with the NS part

I've heard those who cancel PR sometimes even just take only a day but since mine includes mindef it might be different so it would b good to know someone who was in the same shoes before
 

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
66,292
Reaction score
5,868
No as in I will start the cancelation process but hopefully someone comes along so I can be assisted on how to deal with the NS part

I've heard those who cancel PR sometimes even just take only a day but since mine includes mindef it might be different so it would b good to know someone who was in the same shoes before
There’s no certainty of your being able to cancel while in NS. So I will suggest for you to think about what you will do if you don’t get to cancel.

U will be smashed if you have such high hopes of cancelling and eventually find out you can’t.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top