Samsung 10+ mini-review

Aikon

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2001
Messages
1,515
Reaction score
0
I also question the wisdom of having part of the display curved at the sides.

First, it causes distortion and vignetting. Pull up the Straits Times app, for instance, and you'll immediately notice that texts at the edges of the screen are distorted and the white background at the edges are darker.

Second, I do not see how the infinity display helps to create a more immersive experience in a normal use case. Almost everyone uses a case these days, since modern phones aren't as rugged as the phones of yesteryear :s8:. Once you attach a case to the S10+, the aforesaid benefit of an infinity display is entirely negated.

Third, it adds additional cost to manufacture the phone, money which I'd rather had gone into giving us even better NAND. SLC or Optane technology anyone? Or even Samsung's Z-NAND?

Not too late still to sell off this ghastly phone. Better do it soon the trade in price is dropping.

The Razer 2 is on offer slightly more than 800 at the Best Denki stores.

Your best bet as Huaweis have worse screens.
 

Nevereatrice

Honorary Member
Joined
May 15, 2015
Messages
147,080
Reaction score
27,498
Not too late still to sell off this ghastly phone. Better do it soon the trade in price is dropping.

The Razer 2 is on offer slightly more than 800 at the Best Denki stores.

Your best bet as Huaweis have worse screens.

U call s10 a ghastly phone and recommends razer 2? Lol
 

Aikon

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2001
Messages
1,515
Reaction score
0
U call s10 a ghastly phone and recommends razer 2? Lol

I'm being ironic...I'm holding the S10 plus myself and love it 😉. I don't understand myself how the S10 plus screen can be inferior.... I can't really think of a better screen... Apparently Motorola 🙄🙄🙄
 
Last edited:

deathst

Master Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2010
Messages
3,451
Reaction score
2
I "upgraded" from a Motorola X Play to a Samsung 10+ and I am completely underwhelmed by the screen. Actually, that's putting it mildly...

1. The AMOLED screen uses Pulse-width modulation (PWM) for dimming, and uses a very low frequency PWM at that. This causes me eye-strain.

2. The "vivid' mode is oversaturated.

3. The "neutral" mode has a yellows cast even with the blue light filter off and even after removing the pre-applied screen protector.

I don't care if it has HDR10+ if colours on websites don't even appear correctly!

I thought the biggest issue would be the childish skin Samsung uses. In fact, my main issue is the ostensibly colour accurate screen... What an irony and disappointment.

[11 March 2019 update: Since day one, I've been finding it hard to read texts on the Samsung 10+, even with the screen resolution set at 3440 x 1440 and even after removing the pre-applied screen protector. Texts appear slightly fuzzy compared to my cheap 1920x1080 IPS screen. I think I've finally found out the reason: the Diamond Pentile sub-pixel arrangement.]

You know it really just might because you are TOO new to newer AMOLED screens and it's ability to display more colours than IPS LCD on the Moto X Play. :p

It is a shocker yes... it is hard to accept yes esp from an IPS LCD.. but sadly it is the truth that every individual pixel on an OLED SHINES BRIGHTLY unlike a backlit LCD and the COLORS are accurate. Sorry but your 2015 display really cannot cut it here. It is just BAD IPS LCD. You might find the same issue on a LED display here too.

I rather trust scientific equipment and tests rather than eyes trained on a 2015 LCD screen. Samsung this year has a 100% A+ grade
http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S10_ShootOut_1S.htm

PWM sadly cannot be helped even the iPhone uses it so you are the RARE and SMALL % that is affected genetically.

I'm amazed you can see the Pentile SUB-pixel arrangement. Pixels on the S10 are not Resolved with 20/20 Vision at Typical Viewing Distances of 10 to 18 inches 25 to 46 cm which is the average viewing distance. Unless what you are seeing is ghosting created from black pixels turning back on into a lighter colour then yes that is what causes blur but only happens when things are in constant motion
 
Last edited:

Bobboonys@gmail.com

Junior Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2019
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hello there,

Wanted to ask 2 questions:
1. Fully charged phone with no usage for the next 10 mins, battery will drop 5% - is this normal?

2. Phone while holding or locked mode will suddenly light up for nothing - anyone else experience that?

Not sure if i need to do a 1 to 1 exchange with M1 since i bought the phone care thingy ...

Thank you in advance!

Bob
 

deathst

Master Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2010
Messages
3,451
Reaction score
2
Hello there,

Wanted to ask 2 questions:
1. Fully charged phone with no usage for the next 10 mins, battery will drop 5% - is this normal?

2. Phone while holding or locked mode will suddenly light up for nothing - anyone else experience that?

Not sure if i need to do a 1 to 1 exchange with M1 since i bought the phone care thingy ...

Thank you in advance!

Bob
1.) No but you might want to check if you had something syncing.

2. Raise to wake? Accidental double tap on the edges of the screen so the Double tap to wake? You can find this in Settings -> Motions & Gestures
 

Blazing fire

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2007
Messages
91
Reaction score
1
I think the title of this thread is wrong, this ISN'T a review....it strikes me as more of a rant or criticism...

:s13:

Alright, I'll give credit where it is due: it is a very responsive phone. (That's one of two reasons why I'm not selling it. The other is the hassle of changing phones.)

Unfortunately, I have yet another criticism of the s10+'s screen: horrible off-viewing angles! Even a slight change in the position of the phone causes noticeable colour shifts.
 

sunstarsunset

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2019
Messages
728
Reaction score
0
According to a some listing - we can expect the Samsung Galaxy mini to pack in a decent 4GB of RAM, plenty for nearly every need then. Cool right!
 

Blazing fire

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2007
Messages
91
Reaction score
1
I never experienced any of the issues mentioned... colour cast happens to all screens... it's a matter of preference... and if you've done screen colour calibration before, you'll know that it's also a matter of taste as well... unless your screen can project 100% of the colour gamut of whichever colour space you choose to calibrate against, any calibration is also an averaging... besides, we don't use our phone screens for colour accurate production of photos or video, or do colour proofing, what's the point of a colour accurate screen? What's more important is a screen whose colours are pleasing to the majority of viewers...

While 120 Hz screens are nice to have, they aren't necessary at all. Besides they'll just up the power consumption. Which is why the new iPhones don't have very outstanding battery life even though the software is optimized for the hardware. And the screen doesn't flicker, I don't know how you perceive it... the refresh rate is much higher than what our eyes can perceive... in fact LCD screens are proof to flicker compared to OLED screens...

With respect, you're incorrect on so many counts. But I shall confine my response to referring to you these links:

https://wccftech.com/iphone-xs-120hz-touch-sample-rate-explained/ (WCCFtech is usually unreliable but this article explains this issue clearly.)

https://blog.elcomsoft.com/2018/03/...to-stop-oled-flickering-in-just-three-clicks/
 

Blazing fire

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2007
Messages
91
Reaction score
1
:s13:

Alright, I'll give credit where it is due: it is a very responsive phone. (That's one of two reasons why I'm not selling it. The other is the hassle of changing phones.)

Unfortunately, I have yet another criticism of the s10+'s screen: horrible off-viewing angles! Even a slight change in the position of the phone causes noticeable colour shifts.

Although the phone is responsive, I can't help but wonder why UFS 3.0 was not used. Rumour has it that the Note 10 will have UFS 3.0.

More pros:

  • Dual SIM card
  • 3.5mm headphone jack
  • IP68 rating
  • Good Oleophobic coating (though only time will tell how durable this coating is)
  • Wi-Fi 6 (though I don't have a suitable access point to test out 802.11ax)
 

EuroR_CL7

Master Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2005
Messages
2,856
Reaction score
35
I agree with this. It's not a review, just slamming. Sell me I'll take it over since u hate it so much :s13:



I think the title of this thread is wrong, this ISN'T a review....it strikes me as more of a rant or criticism.
.
 

Blazing fire

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2007
Messages
91
Reaction score
1
1. I fail to understand why some of you think I'm here "just" to bash/slam the Samsung S10+. Why would I want to bash/slam something that I've spent my hard-earned money on? I wanted to love it. I really do. But the screen is flawed in so many ways.

Also, simply because I'm more critical of the S10+ than most other reviewers out there doesn't make my review any less of a review. Neither does it invalidate my comments in any way.

2. I'm not selling this phone at the moment because, as I've said, this smartphone serves its purpose as a smartphone: it is a very responsive. I've also come to appreciate the wide-angle rear camera. But the terrible screen just spoils the whole user experience - it prevents me from loving the phone.

I'll certainly be buying a better phone in the near future (probably after microLEDs are released). The S10+ will become my backup phone in due course.
 
Last edited:

Blazing fire

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2007
Messages
91
Reaction score
1
6 months living with the S10+

After 6 months living with the S10+, the two MAJOR annoyances I'm experiencing are:

1. Screen is too dim to be used outdoors.
2. The official Gmail app isn't sending timely notifications of new emails. Probably an issue with how the Gmail app works on Android 9 (as modified by Samsung).

I've sent my phone to the service centre for inspection and software reset, but the problems described above aren't fixed.

I can't be the only one complaining of the dim screen right? :s11:
 

1982-1994

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2016
Messages
61,523
Reaction score
32,453
Dim screen just drag it to the middle of the bar.
Or just sell the phone and go back to moto z play.

I myself also contemplating between s10 5G SD model and my mate 20x. Like the WQHD display on s10..
 

Aikon

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2001
Messages
1,515
Reaction score
0
After 6 months living with the S10+, the two MAJOR annoyances I'm experiencing are:

1. Screen is too dim to be used outdoors.
2. The official Gmail app isn't sending timely notifications of new emails. Probably an issue with how the Gmail app works on Android 9 (as modified by Samsung).

I've sent my phone to the service centre for inspection and software reset, but the problems described above aren't fixed.

I can't be the only one complaining of the dim screen right? :s11:

Yeah so many phones available in the market. Why live with one you don't like? Sell it off asap, phone values are always declining.
 

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2001
Messages
17,587
Reaction score
1,689
After 6 months living with the S10+, the two MAJOR annoyances I'm experiencing are:

1. Screen is too dim to be used outdoors.
2. The official Gmail app isn't sending timely notifications of new emails. Probably an issue with how the Gmail app works on Android 9 (as modified by Samsung).

I've sent my phone to the service centre for inspection and software reset, but the problems described above aren't fixed.

I can't be the only one complaining of the dim screen right? :s11:

Samsung flagship amoled should be one of the brightest on the market. Are you using manual brightness or auto adjustment? Some phones only go beyond slider brightness when in auto mode.

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S10_ShootOut_1S.htm

I can't say what's changed for s10 but gmail works perfectly fine on my s9 ( android 9 ) Maybe they are not using Android native doze for power management ?
 
Last edited:

Blazing fire

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2007
Messages
91
Reaction score
1
One year on

One year and ~4 months since my acquisition of the S10+, I'm still using the S10+. Inertia is a powerful thing. :s13:

Do I still stand by my scathing comments of the S10+? Yes.
  • Maximum brightness of the screen is so low as to be usable in broad daylight.
  • Camera quality is bad.
  • Colour accuracy of the screen is appalling.

But what has really irked me is how much micro-stuttering there is when scrolling pages in apps such as Straits Times. Even the iPhone 4 back in 2010s didn't have this problem...

A flagship phone which can't scroll smoothly? Seriously?


In other news, I Google is reportedly discussing a deal with Samsung to drop Bixby on Galaxy devices (https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tec...ussing-deal-samsung-drop-bixby-galaxy-devices). I'd say good riddance to it. I often accidentally press the Bixby button in the most inconvenient of times... :s27: I wish Samsung could offer a "pure" android experience too, so I don't have to live with so many bugs.

I'd also hope Samsung would patent their curved screens (if they have not already done so). As someone on Anandtech quipped, "Curved screen? No thanks, I wish samsung would patent that and so that nobody could actually repeat that dumb ****. A decent phone wasted by retarded curved screen." (Link)
 

Blazing fire

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2007
Messages
91
Reaction score
1
Samsung flagship amoled should be one of the brightest on the market. Are you using manual brightness or auto adjustment? Some phones only go beyond slider brightness when in auto mode.

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S10_ShootOut_1S.htm

I can't say what's changed for s10 but gmail works perfectly fine on my s9 ( android 9 ) Maybe they are not using Android native doze for power management ?

I'm happy to report that the Gmail app now works fine. After a year. I suspect it had something to do with the interoperability between the Gmail app, and the Android OS (as modified by Samsung). Somehow it got fixed over the course of the year.

I use auto brightness. I had samsung check the phone as well.

The only redeeming feature of the S10+ is that it has a 3.5mm jack.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top