SERIOUS HELP NEEDED!!! POLY/JC

justthatguy

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2013
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Okay guys so I'm in the middle of a huge dilemma. I know you may think I'm kiasu but I'm only kiasu because after O level results are out , you dun have a lot of time to choose Poly/JC. I have completed all my papers except for chem/phy Paper 1. I think my L1R5 will probably be above 13 but below 17 points. No I definitely won't go above that I'm very sure. However the poly/jc dilemma is driving me crazy. At first , I wanted to go to Yishun JC either Arts/Science but one of my friends suggested poly. Upon further research , I am very much interested in either Aerospace Engineering or Business in Poly. (Business Studies, Managment) Admission to these courses prob won't be a problem but I'm very concerned about Uni admission. I have read some threads that it's quite liberal but other threads saying that if you want uni , ESPECIALLY for Business or Engineering that JC is the way to go. Please do help? Ex-poly people? I know if your GPA is good it helps but I really don't want be in a situation where I do well in poly but end up with nowhere to go afterwards? Furthermore I'm not very well-to-do so going overseas isn't really an option unless I get a scholarship. I'm not a JC kinda guy , I don't really enjoy cramming.. but if that means a place in Uni then I'm all up for it. Yes , i know that results aren't out yet but I don't want to have to think about this during the few days after results are out. I'm fairly certain this is the range I will get. I also know that times have changed and that JC isn't the only option for Uni now but I'm still insecure as I have not met anyone from poly who can talk to me about this. Anyone? Thank you so much in advance!!
 

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2010
Messages
13,551
Reaction score
1,302
Okay guys so I'm in the middle of a huge dilemma. I know you may think I'm kiasu but I'm only kiasu because after O level results are out , you dun have a lot of time to choose Poly/JC. I have completed all my papers except for chem/phy Paper 1. I think my L1R5 will probably be above 13 but below 17 points. No I definitely won't go above that I'm very sure. However the poly/jc dilemma is driving me crazy. At first , I wanted to go to Yishun JC either Arts/Science but one of my friends suggested poly. Upon further research , I am very much interested in either Aerospace Engineering or Business in Poly. (Business Studies, Managment) Admission to these courses prob won't be a problem but I'm very concerned about Uni admission. I have read some threads that it's quite liberal but other threads saying that if you want uni , ESPECIALLY for Business or Engineering that JC is the way to go. Please do help? Ex-poly people? I know if your GPA is good it helps but I really don't want be in a situation where I do well in poly but end up with nowhere to go afterwards? Furthermore I'm not very well-to-do so going overseas isn't really an option unless I get a scholarship. I'm not a JC kinda guy , I don't really enjoy cramming.. but if that means a place in Uni then I'm all up for it. Yes , i know that results aren't out yet but I don't want to have to think about this during the few days after results are out. I'm fairly certain this is the range I will get. I also know that times have changed and that JC isn't the only option for Uni now but I'm still insecure as I have not met anyone from poly who can talk to me about this. Anyone? Thank you so much in advance!!

Do you enjoy competing for the top few percentage to get into the university from polytechnic, if so, you are free to choose.

If you have a greater ambition to gain more knowledge (not certificate) from what local university can offer, then join the JC and work towards it.

In no way I'm suggesting polytechnic will get you no where. I think getting somewhere is all in your mind and not which stream of education you move towards.

But it is known for a fact that going to JC is by design heading for university, that's where most JC students will end up. A university whether local or overseas. It is by design that one will go polytechnic and eventually head for university, I don't think so, but it could be done.

So you take your pick. There is no such thing as I'm suitable for poly or I'm suitable for JC. It's like choosing between apple and orange, which is better ? Both are fruits, both works, but both don't contain the same nutritional values.

If the final destination is the society, then what matters in which education track you choose is what you gain along the way. One get you to a better starting point, which you can still screw it up with you didn't do well after that. One get you lower starting point, but if you work hard enough, you can surpass those started better.

What I'm advocating is "If you want a good starting point and a place of higher learning, then choose the JC route and head for the university" Hopefully you will do well and you will learn well and you will emerge into the society as a useful person with well learnt knowledge which the university opportunities provided.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top