Solo Travel Manila

b|uebe||

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Jun 19, 2009
Messages
15,181
Reaction score
0
Hi, just wana find out more for solo female travelers to Manila Philippines.

is it safe ? and what hotels are recommended ?
 

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2002
Messages
29,637
Reaction score
3,487
Hi, just wana find out more for solo female travelers to Manila Philippines.

is it safe ? and what hotels are recommended ?

What do you want to see and do in Manila?

I've done solo trips on the Trans Siberia, to Central Asia, the ex-Soviet Union countries, the US, etc and also to Manila. I never felt unsafe in all my travels except for Manila.

In Manila, I'm very cautious every time the car/taxi turns into a lane/alley/not a proper road (due to construction), even in the car arranged by the hotel. My Filipino friends also advised me to be really careful when I was there. I travelled to Manila alone, for work. I didn't feel safe enough to explore, except to the mall to meet a friend cos I didn't have much of a choice. The friend is from India and happened to be in Manila at the same time and we haven't met for years. If not, I won't explore Manila on my own.
 

butterbarter

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2006
Messages
1,714
Reaction score
0
Petty crime is rampant. Pickpockets are common especially in downtown Manila. Despite many years as a solo traveler, I still got pickpocketed near the Rizal Park area.

Taxi drivers are crooks and will overcharge you. Traffic is horrendous. Many parts of the city look dirty and run-down. Makati area is safe, as it is the affluent area filled with tourists and rich Filipinos, but all you can do in Makati is shop and eat.

I've been to Manila many times for work. Once I extended my trip to explore the place, and that's when I got pickpocketed, WTF. The city itself doesn't really have worthwhile attractions to warrant a trip. Many of the attractions, like the colonial buildings and their national museum are in poor condition. There's a statue in every street corner, but nothing to write home about. The top sight, Intramuros and Fort Santiago, can be seen in a few hours, and while a good way to kill time, isn't really a big deal unless you are a Philippines history buff.

I think the better places to visit in Philippines are outside Manila, like Boracay and Cebu (though I've yet to visit those places myself).


Hi, just wana find out more for solo female travelers to Manila Philippines.

is it safe ? and what hotels are recommended ?
 
Last edited:

sendtolee

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2008
Messages
940
Reaction score
0
Hi, just wana find out more for solo female travelers to Manila Philippines.

is it safe ? and what hotels are recommended ?

Not advisable. Foreigners get preyed all the time except in makati area. Even male solo get preyed and asked to travel with them when in 5-stars hotel.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top