Which is a more recognised comm deg?

Kvicez

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
518
Reaction score
0
Appreciate your help!

O lv.

Thought journalism's for editors & writers, & comm & media studies' for reporters. :)

O Level no choice, start from foundation certificate.

From my understanding, SPH's journalists usually do not enter with a journalism background. The minimum requirement is a degree, but most of them enter with other fields. It helps for them to cover different beats (genres). For instance, someone who entered with an economics degree can write about finance news and so forth.

For journalism, your portfolio is important. Write more, practice more, volunteer to write for school newsletters / online platforms / blogs / websites / basically, write more. You can use them as your portfolio to show off your works as well as gain experience and practice.

Also, as with all jobs, build networks and connections. One advantage of private education institutions (PEIs) is the opportunity to interact with people from all walks of life. Make friends, plenty of friends, and maintain good relations. It will benefit you in the future, especially in the media sector. Do not go like "aiya I don't like him, next time won't see him anymore."
 

Vexed Spirit

Master Member
Joined
May 13, 2013
Messages
4,615
Reaction score
2
Like what the dude above said. Look for those programmes that offer you a lot of practical skill. Trust me taking Communication studies/Media studies is a waste of time. You learn things like policies, cultures and a whole plethora of theories which you won't even get to apply in real life.

If you seek practicality i believe journalism major will help you in your news writing skills. This is a more transferable skill and can apply across all communication discipline such as PR, Media and advertising if you are not into news/journalism.

I think you should research more on what those 3 types of comms sub-discipline i have mentioned and decide for yourself.

To be honest, taking communications degree is a risky move and if you just wanna take communication to 'upgrade' from your previous cert in order to earn a degree,it won't do you any good.

Upon graduation be prepared to be unemployed for a while,paid very little and face tough competitions from other grads. Be prepared to wiggle your way up to the top of the food chain.

I quit poly as i chose wrongly. I have a passion for blogging & writing. Thus, i decided to major in journalism.

Heard before that comm grads are aplenty. Other deg holders able to branch into this field doesn't help, either.

However, i know it is my passion & will work hard to achieve my aims.

All the best in your endeavours! :D
 

Vexed Spirit

Master Member
Joined
May 13, 2013
Messages
4,615
Reaction score
2
O Level no choice, start from foundation certificate.

From my understanding, SPH's journalists usually do not enter with a journalism background. The minimum requirement is a degree, but most of them enter with other fields. It helps for them to cover different beats (genres). For instance, someone who entered with an economics degree can write about finance news and so forth.

For journalism, your portfolio is important. Write more, practice more, volunteer to write for school newsletters / online platforms / blogs / websites / basically, write more. You can use them as your portfolio to show off your works as well as gain experience and practice.

Also, as with all jobs, build networks and connections. One advantage of private education institutions (PEIs) is the opportunity to interact with people from all walks of life. Make friends, plenty of friends, and maintain good relations. It will benefit you in the future, especially in the media sector. Do not go like "aiya I don't like him, next time won't see him anymore."

Value your advice.

Haha, thanks lots bro! :D
 

eagle2fox2

Senior Member
Joined
May 28, 2007
Messages
1,591
Reaction score
3
What about BA in Arts (Communication) University at Buffalo - SIM

Anyone heard about this course and its future/career prospects?

Is this a course where journalism is also covered?
I'm having doubts, I also got accepted into BA in Music Technology at Lasalle but I'm really not sure how to find a job related to that course in the future!
 

Vexed Spirit

Master Member
Joined
May 13, 2013
Messages
4,615
Reaction score
2
What about BA in Arts (Communication) University at Buffalo - SIM

Anyone heard about this course and its future/career prospects?

Is this a course where journalism is also covered?
I'm having doubts, I also got accepted into BA in Music Technology at Lasalle but I'm really not sure how to find a job related to that course in the future!

Sim's 60k+!
 

Kvicez

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
518
Reaction score
0
What about BA in Arts (Communication) University at Buffalo - SIM

Anyone heard about this course and its future/career prospects?

Is this a course where journalism is also covered?
I'm having doubts, I also got accepted into BA in Music Technology at Lasalle but I'm really not sure how to find a job related to that course in the future!

Go back be lecturer lor. :s13: I think a lot of Lasalle's lecturers have qualifications from Lasalle itself.

Choose something that you have a passion in, rather than how much it pays. In the end, everything will work out one.
 

eagle2fox2

Senior Member
Joined
May 28, 2007
Messages
1,591
Reaction score
3
Go back be lecturer lor. :s13: I think a lot of Lasalle's lecturers have qualifications from Lasalle itself.

Choose something that you have a passion in, rather than how much it pays. In the end, everything will work out one.

Lol that's what I heard about the lecturers. However, right now their lecturers fall under Goldsmith's College, University of London. Well, I don't know how that works out for students.

I have passion in sound/audio recording be it studio or live. However, after reading through all the annexes for the course, I'm starting to get a feeling where this course in Lasalle focuses a tad bit on writing, music history.

I would say I'm more worried about finding a relevant job compared to finding a job that pays well or low.

Compared to comm, it'll be easier to find related jobs as comms itself is broader. Anyone studying comms or in the industry, rebut me if I'm wrong. It's always good to learn more from mistakes.
 

Kvicez

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
518
Reaction score
0
Ya lor I'm aware of that however I'm also aware that there are credit exemptions if you have a local Poly cert (well, I took Media in Poly).

Even with credit exemptions, you'll most probably skip the first year. There's still 2 more years to go. By this logic, you'll still have to fork out about $40K. In my humble opinion, I think that's too much to pay for distance learning.

If you can afford it, by all means. From what I've heard, UB is a good school and their courses are not bad. However, if you're taking a study loan, imagine that you'll have to save up twice of what I've paid for my course.

I have no knowledge of the UB course so please take my advice with a pinch of salt.

Lol that's what I heard about the lecturers. However, right now their lecturers fall under Goldsmith's College, University of London. Well, I don't know how that works out for students.

I have passion in sound/audio recording be it studio or live. However, after reading through all the annexes for the course, I'm starting to get a feeling where this course in Lasalle focuses a tad bit on writing, music history.

I would say I'm more worried about finding a relevant job compared to finding a job that pays well or low.

Compared to comm, it'll be easier to find related jobs as comms itself is broader. Anyone studying comms or in the industry, rebut me if I'm wrong. It's always good to learn more from mistakes.

Lasalle's lecturer list can be found on their website. Go check it out.

You're interested in Audio Engineering. You can check out SAE's courses. It's more relevant to what you've described.

Bachelor of Arts (Hons) Audio Production

I don't really think a communication degree will land you jobs in audio recording, unless you're in production. Even then production usually deals with filming/directing/producing; I never really hear much of people doing audio recording.

As far as I know, Murdoch's communication courses doesn't cover this aspect.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top