wifi for USA

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
that's what I was thinking also. in the hotel room, hopefully at the mall. but we r going somewhere quite ulu with long drives, nothingness...worse case can play my Angry Birds. Walmart got wifi or not?

Walmart has free wifi
 

guiguy

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2016
Messages
36
Reaction score
0
Never understood people who need 1GB a day when travelling. The purpose of travel is to go and see places, talk to people, get detached, not get be sticked at phone 24/7. Otherwise, one can simply stay where he/she is and go to malls on weekends.

On subj - T-mobile sells unlimited data SIM at their stores for US $30-$35, don't remember exactly. But one needs to read 'fair usage T/C' about term 'unlimited'.


Useful if driving on road trip. Google maps, hotel bookings, travel guides, etc
Starhub Happy prepaid with Happy roam is good. Easy to top up and monitor usage.
Use with cellular router.
 

Thayvia

Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2016
Messages
122
Reaction score
0
if you really have to have internet wherever you go for the sake of not being bored then I would suggest getting the Changi Recommends router.

i went to Perth in August and we bought the SIM card they had at the airport. We were also on the road almost half the time we were there and the signal in most areas were fairly weak to almost nothing. i think it would've been better for me and my family to have bought the router and share the usage because:

1. your phone gets the internet via WIFI = longer battery life compared to cellular.
2. speeds are much faster so you can Facebook/Instagram all you want.

even if the router throttles after 500MB usage per day, i don't think it'll be as bad compared to having weak cellular signal and slow internet speeds.

My previous experience in Taiwan with the Changi Recommends router was seamless tbh, and i don't think you'll mind paying a little more stay connected.
 

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2002
Messages
29,797
Reaction score
3,596
Useful if driving on road trip. Google maps, hotel bookings, travel guides, etc
Starhub Happy prepaid with Happy roam is good. Easy to top up and monitor usage.
Use with cellular router.

Driving to ulu places, no data connection, no Google maps. Makes more sense to have a satellite phone for emergencies. No cell phone reception, can't even make calls to book hotels/motels or to call for help.

I've been to a place in the US where it's so remote (Wellersburg, Pennsylvania) that there's no landline service.
 

estrangable

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2003
Messages
1,155
Reaction score
90
Get the ultra sim card.. Use the q10 promo coupon and it can get less than 40 bucks. First 4gb is on 4g.. Subsequently will be on 3g. Traveled from west to east coast. No problem at all. The only tough part is setting it up. Took more than 30 mins to get it done. It's not a simple plug and use...
 

sunnyazel

Junior Member
Joined
May 24, 2017
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Any recommendation for 4G for 3 weeks from mid Nov and early Dec in East Coast? We will drive from NYC to Florida and back.

And will need to share internet. Will about 5 to 10GB. Will use it for Google maps and work and leisure.
 

invisible999

Master Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2012
Messages
3,565
Reaction score
2
Any recommendation for 4G for 3 weeks from mid Nov and early Dec in East Coast? We will drive from NYC to Florida and back.

And will need to share internet. Will about 5 to 10GB. Will use it for Google maps and work and leisure.

Starhub prepaid data roam. 3.6GB for SGD $20.
http://www.starhub.com/personal/mobile/mobile-phones-plans/prepaid-cards/happy-roam.html

There was message recently that new they added ATT 4G network as roaming partner, but just make sure that phone/mobile wifi works with ATT/Tmobile networks.

If you specifically want local SIM, then T-mobile unlimited for US $75/mo.
https://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/t-mobile-one?icid=WMD_PD_Q217PREPAI_QGMEFOO8TXE8819
Which, as you understandб is more than 3x 3.6GB on Starhub
 

limchooc

Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2001
Messages
385
Reaction score
35
Just to share my experience. I recently travel to U.S for two weeks in three different cities and I use SingTel ReadRoam as I am existing SingTel postpaid customer.

1GB for 30 days for use in anywhere in the world for $35. I use it in U.S and during transit in Taiwan. In U.S it is using AT&T and T mobile network.

I use Google map for navigation purpose and other application like whatsapp, email, shop online, weather check, finding restaurant (esp Asian one) near my location etc while I was travelling.

It work quite well if you are not a heavy user. I only use up 400 mb and still have 600 mb left when I return back to Singapore. The best part is I don't have to purchase another sim card.
 

invisible999

Master Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2012
Messages
3,565
Reaction score
2
It work quite well if you are not a heavy user. I only use up 400 mb and still have 600 mb left when I return back to Singapore. The best part is I don't have to purchase another sim card.

One of benefits of Singtel is that to does not count incoming (towards phone) traffic, only outgoing. So if you are heavy FB/instagram/google maps user, it will be much less traffic comparing to Starhub's Data roam which counts on both directions.
 

gumbokins

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2011
Messages
6,404
Reaction score
683
en-route back to SG now
I ended up buying a US ICC SIM from qoo10, paid $50 for it. I chose the T-mobile package as the coverage seemed better in the areas I was travelling to. Come with unlimited data. after 2 weeks, happy to report that it worked great. some areas really ulu so no network, suck thumb. was also able to make calls back to Singapore FOC. and on my Delta flight, can get free wifi to surf. the T&C says cnot use for MIFI but you can try...
 

NightWish_

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2003
Messages
37,879
Reaction score
35
is tethering allowed on Starhub Happy in US? Because US SIM dont allow tethering/Mobile WiFi. And Starhub Happy says it is subjected to local provider
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top