M1 FIBRE BROADBAND DISCUSSION / NETWORKING SETUP / INFO / PROMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

AhWise

Reaction score
Dear People, this thread is created to help out people whom are interested in M1 Roadshows, Promotions and information on how Fibre Broadband works etc. I am no expert or certified CCNA but with only sufficient knowledge on networking. There are many things to find out before you are committed to 2 years contract, so below are some information you can refer to before making up your mind.

What is Fibre Broadband NGNBN?
This fibre optic platform will be the key foundation of the Next Gen NBN, which is part of the Intelligent Nation 2015 or iN2015 blueprint to turn Singapore into a sophisticated city with seamless high-speed connectivity

How do I know when my home is going to be Fibre ready?
You can go to http://rollout.opennet.com.sg/ and key in your postal code to check when OpenNet is coming to your area.

Why should I choose Fibre Optics over Cable or ADSL broadband?
A fibre optic cable is a silica (glass) composite which permits the transmission of data over longer distances and at higher bandwidths (data rates) than copper based infrastructure. Signals travel along fibre with less loss, and are also immune to electromagnetic interference compared to copper wires.
Therefore, fibre optics will be able to support the delivery of a greater variety of services such as HD video and 1Gbps bandwidth services.

How is the process to arrange OpenNet to install the Fibre Terminal Point (TP)?
quick_reference_guide.jpg

Source: www.opennet.com.sg

to clear some doubts why i recommend people getting the Asus RT66U, my wireless using the a old Linksys WRT160N result is about 25Mbps Download & 20Mbps Upload at M1 100Mbps Fibre plan.

My result using Asus RT66U wireless 5m away from router from line of sight:

My result using Asus RT66U wireless 7m away from router in closed door bedroom:

My result using Asus RT66U wireless 6m away from router in closed door toilet:

My result using Asus RT66U (wired) direct to Router:

My result using Asus RT66U with Homeplug HL115EP

Cheers,
Mario

Last edited:

AhWise

Reaction score
Reserved for M1 Promo / RG / Info

Optical Network Terminal (ONT)

In fiber-to-the-premises systems, the signal is transmitted to the customer premises using fiber optic technologies. Unlike many conventional telephone technologies, this does not provide power for premises equipment, nor is it suitable for direct connection to customer equipment. An ONT (optical network terminal) is used to terminate the fiber optic line, demultiplex the signal into its component parts (voice telephone, television, and Internet), and provide power to customer telephones.

ONT acts like a modem for Fibre broadband. Has only 1 available port for your RSP and it is not a wireless router.

Here's the picture for the new ONT:
Model: EchoLife HG8240
scaled.php

Residential Gateway Huawei HG256 Configuration (RG)

M1 has stopped issuing of RG as fixed voice is now provision directly from the ONT itself. However users need to self purchase your own wireless router for WiFi access

Logging into the Web-Based Configuration Utility

1. Make sure your Huawei HG256 is connected to your PC via any of the LAN ports labeled 1-4.
2. Open a web browser like Internet Explorer or Firefox. Enter 192.168.1.1 on the address bar.
3. Key in admin for both the username and password, and click on Login.

Configuring the WLAN Parameters
Make sure that the WLAN LED on the front panel of the device is on (green light). If not, press and hold the WLAN button, which can be found above the ON/OFF switch, until the LED indicator is lit.

The default SSID (wireless network name) and WPA (Wi-Fi password) can be found on the label underneath the device.

To change these settings:
1. Login to the web-based configuration utility.
2. Click Basic > WLAN in the navigation tree to display the WLAN configuration page.
3. Key in the desired wireless network name on the SSID field.
4. Assign your own Wi-Fi password by changing the WPA Pre-Shared Key.

Try to avoid conflict with other wireless networks by choosing either 1, 6 or 11 on the Channel drop down list. Remember to write down the SSID and the WPA, as well as the device login details, in a safe place for future reference.

•Size: 173 mm x 146 mm x 48 mm
•Weight: <1 kg
•Uplink: RJ-45: Giga 1000M
•Downlink: RJ-45: 4 FE LAN ports; RJ-11: 1 VoIP port; USB: 1 USB 2.0 host; WLAN: 802.11n 2*2
•High-quality VoIP
•Flexible QoS
•Supports TR-069
•Supports Windows 2000/Windows XP/Vista/Mac

Port Forwarding for Huawei HG256

Refer to the link:
Port Forwarding for the Huawei HG256s - PortForward.com

Checking your Internet Connection

Please refer to this post for the guide

OpenNet Capacity Issue can Refer to:
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/79938026-post8533.html

I got mine done this way too.

If you are facing capacity issues with Opennet in your area, call in 1627. Tell them that you have been waiting for the new ONT installation since xx (mine was since end January). Inform them that you understand that to your understanding there is no need to wait for Port 2 activation for the new ONT to come in (if they deny, point them here to see the real case scenarios). They will most likely check it with their backend and tell you this is a "special arrangement".

For my case, my contract was helping me as well as my contract will end in Dec 2013. I gave them the additional condition that since they told me my old hardware with M1 cannot support your higher plans now which is at the same price as what I paid for my existing 100Mbps plan, I will reconsider my decision to continue with M1. Viola, 1 week later they called me to offer me this scheme.

The only downside... Please prepare your own backup connection if you intend to do this as your connection will temporary be disconnected for a few hours before the appointment to facilitate this swap/transition. The process after that is seamless. The installer came in, dropped the ONT at my place, connect it up, called backend to proceed with the config and I am up and running within 30mins on the NEW ONT. The installer will collect back all old hardware as well.

Trust me, I can feel the difference in performance. I think the main bulk of performance gain is from the removal of the Huawei RG as a NAT device and hook it up directly to my own router.

Last edited:

AhWise

Reaction score
Many people are asking what are the charges involved when signing up for Fibre Broadband, please take note:

For ONT Installation
Weekdays 9am to 5pm -> $58.85
Weekdays after 5pm -> $85.60
Weekends -> $112.35

For Termination/Cancellation of Fibre Service
Change of ONT appointment date -> $32.10
Fibre termination -> $32.10 + Penalty as per contract (within 24mths)

Collection of ONT (Upon termination of Fibre services)
Weekdays 9am to 5pm -> $12.84
Weekdays after 5pm -> $19.26
Weekends/PH -> $25.68
**M1 will collect back the modem from customer premises on the 36-40th day after terminating

Misc Charges

Fixed Voice Activation Fee -> $37.45 (FREE waiver of activation fee upon Fibre plan sign up)
Fixed Voice Termination -> $37.45 (if you took up Fixed Voice service, No charge if terminate together with Fibre Broadband)

Relocation on Fibre Broadband service

New location must have OpenNet installed & ready

Relocation
In the event that you require a relocation of your fibre service, you will be charged a relocation charge of $58.85, on top of any installation charges for your new premises.

FAQ
1) I want to do number port from Starhub/SingTel, can I do so?
Ans: Yes, free number porting from Starhub/SingTel

2) Any downtime for number porting?
Number porting takes 5-7 working days. During the process, home line remains active and once line is disconnected, restart the M1 ont for the home line to take effect. Likely its only 1hr downtime or sometimes its quite instantly ported

2) I am not the Starhub/SingTel homeline subscriber, can I port the number over to M1 Fibre broadband that is sign under my name?
Ans: The Starhub/SingTel subscriber is advisable to come down with you for the sign up. He/She needs to sign an authorization letter for the service to be port over to you & under M1 Fibre.

3) I want to use my own router but also need Fixed Voice Service.
Ans: These are the different kind of Setups you can try:

a) TP-Fibre Optic Cable-> ONT -Ethernet Cable-> RG -> PC/Laptop

b) TP-Fibre Optic Cable-> ONT -Ethernet Cable-> RG -> Router -> PC/Laptop

c) TP-Fibre Optic Cable-> ONT -Ethernet Cable-> Router

d) TP-Fibre Optic Cable-> ONT -Ethernet Cable-> PC/Laptop

M1 has stopped issuing of RG as fixed voice is now provision directly from the ONT itself. However users need to self purchase your own wireless router for WiFi access

RG > Residential Gateway (Huawei HG256-Optional at $2/mth rental)
TP > OpenNet Terminal Point
ONT > Optical Network Terminal (Fibre modem)
*Stated in orange is the type of cable use. For Ethernet cable, can use Cat6 or Cat5.

4) Any recommendation for Wireless router?
Ans: EnGenius 9850 is a good single band router. But if you willing to spend more, do consider the Asus RT56 or RT66 wireless router for best performance

*Please do not quote me that I ask you to get this router. It just a sharing on what I seen & what I use

5) What type of security to set for my WiFi?

For 802.11n performance you must use WPA2 AES security.

Note: Due to Wi-Fi certification considerations if you choose WEP, WPA or WPA2-TKIP encryption this device may operate in legacy wireless mode (802.11b/g). You may not get 802.11n performance as these forms of encryption are not supported by the 802.11n specification.

6) When is my home going to be fibre ready?
Ans: Refer to OpenNet » Coverage Check

7) How do I change my Residential Gateway settings?
Ans: Refer to QuickGuide http://m1.com.sg/fibre/setup.pdf

8) I wish to connect my router to the HG256 router. Any guides?
Ans: You can refer to this link, guide is based on HG256 > EnGenius 9850 done by ZhuTou!
or MarineX guide

9) I wish to recontract and change the white ont to black ont. what are the things to note?
Ans: Refer to this link

Cheers,
Mario

Last edited:

AhWise

Reaction score
to clear some doubts why i recommend people getting the Asus RT66U, my wireless using the a old Linksys WRT160N result is about 25Mbps Download & 20Mbps Upload at M1 100Mbps Fibre plan.

My result using Asus RT66U wireless 5m away from router from line of sight:

My result using Asus RT66U wireless 7m away from router in closed door bedroom:

My result using Asus RT66U wireless 6m away from router in closed door toilet:

My result using Asus RT66U (wired) direct to Router:

M1 Fibre Broadband Theoretical Speed

Some updates on 1st April 2012

theoretical.jpg

How Typical Speed Range is derived

Cheers,
Alvin

Last edited:

AhWise

Reaction score
thumb_FBB200.png

Fibre Broadband 200Mbps @ $39/mth
  • FREE Mobile Broadband (1GB)
  • FREE Home Fixed Voice Service
  • FREE Dual-Band Wireless Router
  • FREE ONT Activation
  • FREE 3 months' subscription to Internet Security

thumb_FBB300.png

Fibre Broadband 300Mbps @ $49/mth
  • FREE ONT Activation
** If you have missed OpenNet’s free Fibre Termination Point Installation, sign up now and enjoy installation waiver worth up to $235.40

thumb_RouterAC66U.png

GamePRO 200Mbps @ $55/mth with FREE upgrade to Wireless AC Router
  • FREE upgrade to Wireless AC Router
  • FREE ONT Activation
  • FREE 12 months' MiBox subscription
** If you have missed OpenNet’s free Fibre Termination Point Installation, sign up now and enjoy installation waiver worth up to $235.40

thumb_FBB200_bundle.png

Home Surveillance Camera + Fibre Broadband 200Mbps Bundle @ $45/mth
  • FREE ONT Activation
  • FREE 12 months' MiBox subscription

If you are unable to make it & required signup arrangement or further enquiries, feel free to drop us a message @ 84448944

M1 Static IP

View your home IP Camera
The ability to access any of your devices on your home network (e.g. IP Camera) even when you are not at the premises.
Allows user to monitor their homes anytime by logging in to their IP camera with their Static IP address from any computer or mobile device.

Personal cloud storage
Allows you to upload and download your files seamlessly by connecting a Network-Attached-Storage (NAS) or Hard Disk to your home network device which serves as your personal cloud storage.

Run a private game network
It enables you to host a private game server, giving you the choice to select your own friends as your gaming participants.

Source: https://www.m1.com.sg/Personal/home-broadband/StaticIP#tab1

Last edited:

AhWise

Reaction score
Some experiences & Feedbacks by M1 users

Have my M1 100Mbps installed yesterday, accompanied with engenius 9850 at a corner living room. On lan I experienced a near 100mbps d/speed, on wifi still have 30Mbps at bedroom which is 2 walls away from the living room. Wifi at living room, just a metre away from the router, is about 70Mbps. Download a 1GB movie is about 30 minutes on Lan @ yesterday about 12pm. Download a 4mb song was just within a click last night, but experienced a slow speed of few kbps when try to download a rar file from easyMule. Speedtest on China server is less than 10Mbps d/speed at living room on wifi. Overall, I think it worth what I pay for even M1 is throttling the b/d.

m1 is fantastic.

2043028777.png

this is over wireless of 15meters without line of sight. lol. can't believe it.

staying near marsiling mrt

2036306281.png

@ yishun using wired.

For wireless using Intel 6200 & Engenius ESR9850, the speed is 40-55 mbits/s.

Words of wisdom indeed.

What I got for a 1 day old M1 Fiber 100, at 2.26pm, Jun 27.

To test the real life speed, have to use a super popular seed like the latest ubuntu iso.

m1superbt.jpg

RT-N56U with 3rd party firmware version 1.1.2.2-005

and enabling hardware NAT for wifi

Over 2.4ghz wifi

Direct RJ-45 (most likely limited due to the 100/10Mbps card)

connected to M1 since last week and just ported over the fix line from Singtel.

Thanks AhWise for your excellent service !

thumbs up.

contact ahwise.. hassle free.

thanks

For those who wanna subscribe to M1 fibre broadband, I strongly encourage you guys to contact Ahwise directly. Hassle-free.

Some Useful Links:
Glasnost: Test if your ISP is shaping your traffic

LAN Cable purchase by 1 of the hwz buddies from
reframe, I ordered from here > Fukuno Marketing

Recommend a Routers
Router Charts - WAN to LAN Throughput - SmallNetBuilder

What is M1 1Box service?
1box by M1

M1 Monthly Maintenance Schedule
M1
M1

Last edited:

liangtam

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Why does m1 not issue hg256s instead for users on 100mbps?

marzinger

Reaction score
hi based on the given info on Huawei RG, it does not support MAC? i am using both imac and Macbook pro leh....

Loirev

Reaction score
hi based on the given info on Huawei RG, it does not support MAC? i am using both imac and Macbook pro leh....

In network wise, it is all the same. Standard TCP protocol.
So it doesn't matter if it is a Apple or Windows or Linux.

Gixxer1000

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Signed up with bro ahwise for the m1 broadband. A very helpful guy!

AhWise

Reaction score
Signed up with bro ahwise for the m1 broadband. A very helpful guy!

Hi there, thanks for the comment.. :o

U the last guy I met :s11: Becoz you seems aware of everything that Im going to tell u. Thanks yeah!

GSR_WildCard

Reaction score
AhWise, does the ONT require its own power source?
I have seen bigger fibre termination devices at my offices and they don't seem to require an external power source.

liangtam

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
AhWise, does the ONT require its own power source?
I have seen bigger fibre termination devices at my offices and they don't seem to require an external power source.

Becos they are likely powered from remote source like PoE. It still must be powered at user end

ngbc

Master Member
Reaction score
Many people are asking what are the charges involved when signing up for Fibre Broadband, please take note:

[For Termination/Cancellation of Fibre Service
Change of ONT appointment date -> $32.10
Fibre termination -> $32.10 + Penalty as per contract
Collection of ONT -> $12.84
Fixed Voice Termination -> $37.45 (if you took up Fixed Voice service)
[
(*FREE TP or ONT Waiver for selected roadshows)

Cheers,
Alvin

Could you please clarify whether the Termination & Collection charges still apply to those paying normal rate ($59 for 100Mbps; $49 for 50Mbps) and FBB contract have expired and wanted to switch ISP?

Thanks.

AhWise

Reaction score
Could you please clarify whether the Termination & Collection charges still apply to those paying normal rate ($59 for 100Mbps; $49 for 50Mbps) and FBB contract have expired and wanted to switch ISP?

Thanks.

Yes, this termination & collection applies as long you are on Fibre Broadband..

micromousez

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
how do I update the HG256 firmware?

If I decided to switch from HG256 to using my own wireless router, how do i do tht? Must call up M1 hotline to give the Mac address? How many days of downtime?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.