Android TV Box

Shawncck

Reaction score
yes....cos after installing a certain app the box hang and upon restarting was stuck at the logo screen

good news is it is still able to be recognised by my pc, but the error msg encountered during flashing doesnt seem common after hours of googling.....

What app did u install that hang it? What error u have? Maybe u share and guys here can see how to help...

wlxxiii_

Reaction score
What app did u install that hang it? What error u have? Maybe u share and guys here can see how to help...

some iptv app which i can't remember

so i found the rom which is supposed to be compatible with my box (blue pcb) and it got stuck at 9% during flashing with this error:
uboot/partition_aml_dtb/verify_partition/error_result

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Xiaofan, TX5 and TX6 is running on Android OS or android TV OS? And it came rooted out from box?

Mobile Android OS. Both come rooted out of the box.

All of my boxes so far are generic boxes. Except one junk China mobile OTT box, the other six are all rooted and none of them come with a switch to turn off root.

I will get at least one or two un-rooted boxes from now on.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

so i found the rom which is supposed to be compatible with my box (blue pcb) and it got stuck at 9% during flashing with this error:

So looks like your HW is still okay.

Have you tried factory reset first? Usually a bad app should not corrupt the FW unless it is app like SuperSU or Magisk.

What if you try the buring card method?

Last edited:

Shawncck

Reaction score

I believe u shd be able to factory reset.... press the reset pin and plug in the power cable.... No need connect to PC... connect your hdmi.... u shd see the TWRP on tv....from there u shd be able to factory reset it...

Shawncck

Reaction score
Mobile Android OS. Both come rooted out of the box.

All of my boxes so far are generic boxes. Except one junk China mobile OTT box, the other six are all rooted and none of them come with a switch to turn off root.

I will get at least one or two un-rooted boxes from now on.

Any box with android TV os that came unroot beside mi box s? I want to try using android TV OS.... want to see how is it different from tablet android...

wlxxiii_

Reaction score
I believe u shd be able to factory reset.... press the reset pin and plug in the power cable.... No need connect to PC... connect your hdmi.... u shd see the TWRP on tv....from there u shd be able to factory reset it...

haha read my previous posts.....done almost everything

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.... I know what i doing... I am a IT guy too... Now trying to know more in android and i trying to use it to do more things... Want learn flash, root, unroot and macro...

I see. I am not an IT guy myself and not a hard core hacker. My initial goal is to run Linux on some boxes and also play with generic USB device under Android with rooted box using Termux. Termux is a small Debian distribution under Android and it needs root access to run libusb. So my first 4 boxes are all generic rooted box.

And then I bought Tanix TX5 Max and TX6 to have access to different CPUs with my existing boxes. Also want to see if better brands offer better quality.

In that case yes you want to use more popular generic boxes and not really proper but more restrictive boxes like Mi Box S and Nvidia Shield TV.

There are a lot of such boxes where people have developed custom FW.

1) S905W low end boxes like Tanix TX3 Mini and X96 Mini, cheap yet there are many custom FW including Android TV OS. They are also popular because of the possibility to run Linux distributions like Armbian Linux or LibreElec. Cheaper and more Powerful if you are more into Multimedia application.

2) S912 boxes, more powerful. Good support under Linux as well. Android TV os is available for popular boxes like Minix NEO U9-H.

3) RK3328 boxes, limited support under Linux. Android TV OS is also available for some boxes.

4) New S905X2 boxes, no support of Linux yet. Android TV OS is available. Beelink GT1 Mini, H96 Max X2 and X96 Max seem to be popular for this purposes.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any box with android TV os that came unroot beside mi box s? I want to try using android TV OS.... want to see how is it different from tablet android...

Mecool Android TV OS boxes like KM9 Pro and KM3, both are certified by Google to have WideVine DRM level 1, so they come not rooted.

They are not certified by Netflix so no Netflix HD.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thx xiao fan and Greg for the advice. It worked, I installed the latest kodi from Google play store (guess it overwrote the pre-installed version) and now kodi works pretty fast

I'm also using simple iptv client. Any recommendation where to find m3u lists? I usually Google in chinese and just slowly go to individual forums but it's v painful

I suggest doing a clean install instead. Install newer version over old version doesn't erase previous settings and addons, no point to take unnecessary as you don't know what was installed previous.

kodi's simple iptv client is not recommended. If you want to play m3u list, iptv (by alexander sofronov) from playstore can do a much better job.

you can use fluxus's list to test, just google for fluxus dot tv.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

most of the tv boxes don't come with twrp.

the procedure you described will bring you to tv box's recovery menu.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.... I know what i doing... I am a IT guy too... Now trying to know more in android and i trying to use it to do more things... Want learn flash, root, unroot and macro...

since you declared yourself as IT guy.

do these:

1. connect box to pc using ADB
2. delete busybox and su files in system|bin folder
3. delete supersu.apk in app folder.

you will get either a unrooted box or bricked box (if you have done it wrongly, but not to worry, time to practise flashing of firmware).

for non-IT guy, the same can be done via es explorer by navigating to the folders and delete the few files - but there is still risk of bricking the box.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

do these:

you will get either a unrooted box or bricked box (if you have done it wrongly, but not to worry, time to practise flashing of firmware).

for non-IT guy, the same can be done via es explorer by navigating to the folders and delete the few files - but there is still risk of bricking the box.

Tried the non-IT guy way on Tanix TX5 Max and TX 6 and both failed to delete the files. Apparently they are protected even though both are rooted.

Tried SuperSu and Magisk on both boxes as well and again failed.

So I gave up.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For Tanix TX6 owners only, today I tried two things on the box. One is successful and the other one failed.

1) Use a USB fan to blow the air from the side ventilation holes, very effective to bring the temperature down from 85-90 degree C (today is a hot day) to 65-70 degree C.

Probably I want to open the top cover and secure the fan on top.

2) Tried the previous OTA and they were successful. Today tried the new OTA which is supposed to fix the notification bar issues but it failed. Not so sure if this has anything to do with the fact that I am using an OEM version (without Tanix logo).

From Tanix Facebook page:

FIRMWARE Update: TANIX TX6 update by OTA. In order to get the v20190508, open the pre-installed "UPDATE" APP and check for online updates.

Tanix TX6 overview: http://www.tanix-box.com/project-view/tanix-tx6-android-tv-box-allwinner-h6-dual-wifi-6k-alice-ux/

Change log:

1. Make status bar and notification window interactive.
2. Fixed bug about external camera not working

Last edited:

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tried the non-IT guy way on Tanix TX5 Max and TX 6 and both failed to delete the files. Apparently they are protected even though both are rooted.

Tried SuperSu and Magisk on both boxes as well and again failed.

So I gave up.

you have to turn on root explorer option before deleting the files.

The safer way to unroot is via supersu.

run supersu, go to its settings page and scroll all the way down - you will see the unroot option. :)

Last edited:

Shawncck

Reaction score

do these:

Hi Choo, problem is i am unable to find any SU files inside the system.... Any idea where to find beside there....

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone else facing problem of 全民K歌 songs not loading?

Not using this app myself but usually you need to use VPN, just like QQ Music.

Try to install Transocks 穿梭VPN to see if that helps. You may have to use the mobile version if the TV version does not work.
https://transocks.com/mobile-android.html

Or SpeedIn 快帆
https://www.speedin.in/

BTW, for QQ Music, I am paying for the VIP and then no need to use VPN. This does not seem to be the case for 全民K歌.

Last edited:

TheSnail

Reaction score
Took delivery of my TX5 Max at the weekend..... Tanix mentioned during boot but not printed on the box.

My first TV Box and with no instructions I needed quite a few WhatsApp messages and half a day to get everything up and running such that I could use it. Bought together with Air Mouse and that helped a lot after 20min charging its battery.

Simple IPTV App is pre-loaded but I saw quite quickly it is not the best option for getting TV so side loaded some new apps.

Only issue seems to be the SD slot doesn't work so I need to go to File Manager and copy from USB to Local before being able to run. Is there a way to remove Play Store nd Chrome icons from Home Screen? I can only add three of my own apps to home screen and they would be used more.....also better not to confuse family.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.