PC - HDR Gaming - Sharing Experience

lotr2000

Reaction score
I would just turn off HDR on any monitor that do not have properly tuned mini led or oled panel.

No amount of calibration can overcome hardware limitations.

Yongkit

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

if anyone interested can use this app from windows store to test your HDR display:

1656901592138.png

Last edited:

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

In my experience, even 1000+ zones on a big display like a monitor may not be enough. Consider the iPad Pro 12.9 inch with 2500 dimming zones in that small display, and the issue with blooming is still quite bad. But I guess this is the limitation of Mini LED.

Yongkit

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
In this review, you can see a significant difference between a proper HDR coming from the Dell QD-OLED vs conventional edge lit monitors. The difference is very glaring when I saw this comparison.

https://wccftech.com/review/alienwa...-welcome-to-quantum-dot-oled-displays-gamers/
After it's debut some time, I saw in reddit post the dell monitor starting to show it's weakness on other aspects.

However most will only have 1 monitor when there is no side by side comparison I am still very happy using my edge lit HDR playing games and watch HDR capable video contents, especially with windows 11 auto HDR features :LOL:

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
After it's debut some time, I saw in reddit post the dell monitor starting to show it's weakness on other aspects.

However most will only have 1 monitor when there is no side by side comparison I am still very happy using my edge lit HDR playing games and watch HDR capable video contents, especially with windows 11 auto HDR features :LOL:
The weaknesses are not unexpected as the same issue can be observed with QD-OLED TV. I think the bottom line is that no display technology is perfect. For me, the need to manage what is on screen all the time to try and reduce the chance of burn in is a deal breaker for me, though this applies to any OLED display, not just specific to QD-OLED. Therefore, I settled for an IPS ultrawide display instead since it is much cheaper and still looks good. I don't usually watch movies on my monitor anyway, so good HDR is nice to have, not a must have. :)

Hailgod

Master Member
Reaction score
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.