1st ereader - Nook or Kobo?

Joined
Jul 15, 2011
Messages
400
Reaction score
1
Looks like this section is not very popular but will try to ask for advice anyway.

Done some research on ereaders and have narrowed it to either Nook or Kobo since I will mostly be borrowing ebooks from National Library, which is why Kindle is out.

But which Nook or Kobo? Any experience on which is more durable and less likely to fail?:s11:
 

jeffyen2

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2004
Messages
1,280
Reaction score
0
Looks like this section is not very popular but will try to ask for advice anyway.

Done some research on ereaders and have narrowed it to either Nook or Kobo since I will mostly be borrowing ebooks from National Library, which is why Kindle is out.

But which Nook or Kobo? Any experience on which is more durable and less likely to fail?:s11:

Check the library ebook collection to see if what you need is actually available. (When it has one copy, only one copy can be borrowed at any one time.)
 

tannl88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2009
Messages
18,591
Reaction score
3
Looks like this section is not very popular but will try to ask for advice anyway.

Done some research on ereaders and have narrowed it to either Nook or Kobo since I will mostly be borrowing ebooks from National Library, which is why Kindle is out.

But which Nook or Kobo? Any experience on which is more durable and less likely to fail?:s11:

y borrow when u can climb? :s22::s22:
 

zacharyandrew

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2007
Messages
602
Reaction score
5
Don't have any experience on any of the two but if you're worried about durability and/or the less likelihood of a device failing then go for the one with the better product and customer support
 
Last edited:

expositox

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2012
Messages
2,179
Reaction score
0
Having owned all 3 major brands' ereader, (Nook Simple Touch, Kindle Keyboard & Kobo Mini), Nook still offers the best user experience, along with the ability to add an SD card makes it awesome. The back is also definitely nicer to grip. I also have a preference for page turns buttons, though the Nook's buttons are extremely hard to press (most reviews will mention this), it's still better than tapping the screen everytime you want to turn a page.

Currently only have the Kobo Mini, do go for it if you're one that likes portability & customization (it has many many many fonts, lazy to count!). In fact, it's shorter than my friend's Note 2, just wider. Syncing books is an absolute mess though, I had no idea what to do. Just used Calibre in the end (ebook management software). Have I mentioned that it's absolutely cute?!

Also, if you're one to get accessories with your gadgets, definitely get the Nook. B&N has truckloads of official covers.

Ultimately, it still depends on which models you're getting. Kobo Touch can add SD card, and the backlit models ain't bad either, though I've never owned one before. Final decision still up to you, can go YouTube to view the video reviews.
//note: a few days back, B&N was giving NookST with every Nook HD(+) purchase, dk if deal still going on, maybe you can grab one and sell the HD?


If you wanna molest my Kobo Mini before deciding which to buy, can drop me a PM :)
 
Last edited:
Joined
Jul 15, 2011
Messages
400
Reaction score
1
Thanks for the detailed reply. Ya I ran across this HD offer for Nook. Kinda leaning towards Simple Touch since it's best value for money.

If it fails on me, I'll just lose about US$70.
 
Joined
Jul 15, 2011
Messages
400
Reaction score
1
Check the library ebook collection to see if what you need is actually available. (When it has one copy, only one copy can be borrowed at any one time.)

Well, it'll be long term borrowing of all kinds of books just like physical books.

I'm aware that even for ebooks that are limited number of copies available - so weird right - guess it's all about copyright.
 

jeffyen2

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2004
Messages
1,280
Reaction score
0
Well, it'll be long term borrowing of all kinds of books just like physical books.

I'm aware that even for ebooks that are limited number of copies available - so weird right - guess it's all about copyright.

What I mean is that besides the limitation on the number of books available, check the library catalogue to see if the titles you want are available. Say off hand you want xyz book, are you able to see it in the catalogue? Depending on the sort of books you want, it may not be available at all.
 

belgarathc

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2003
Messages
1,737
Reaction score
174
I owned the Sony prs 350 and bought the kobo glo recently mainly because of the backlit feature. I, too, prefer to have hard buttons to turn pages. This is missing in the kobo. Our library collection is currently quite limited. Let's see what the recent announcement to boost the eBook collection will bring.
 

expositox

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2012
Messages
2,179
Reaction score
0
IMO there's not much difference between sideloading & borrowing an ebook from the library..

Admittedly, I sideload my ebooks & I know it's piracy but I have no CC (underage) and having to borrow it through NLB is a pain in the arse, might as well just physically go the library & borrow the book, still got free aircon.

If I like the book, I will buy the physical book. Tell me how many people that borrow (e)books from library actually do this. Guess it's cos of my guilty conscience for pirating (kinda)?
 
Joined
Jul 15, 2011
Messages
400
Reaction score
1
IMO there's not much difference between sideloading & borrowing an ebook from the library..

Admittedly, I sideload my ebooks & I know it's piracy but I have no CC (underage) and having to borrow it through NLB is a pain in the arse, might as well just physically go the library & borrow the book, still got free aircon.

If I like the book, I will buy the physical book. Tell me how many people that borrow (e)books from library actually do this. Guess it's cos of my guilty conscience for pirating (kinda)?

Borrowing ebooks from NLB is easy - only the registering part in the beginning is a slight hassle but all done in 5 minutes.

I like not having to worry about return date and not making the trip down to the library - too lazy.

In an ideal world, I would use Kindle and buy from Amazon.
 

nicepal

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2004
Messages
860
Reaction score
0
Yep. Though I never did borrowed from NLB before, it's the registration that take some time. I did register once, but when trying to connect and download, I gave Up.

Because the books I want, not in NLB. The books they have, it's loaned out. But you can put up your request to borrow. NLB will notify you when the book is return so you can go and borrow.

One thing good about borrowing ebook from NLB is like what littlegreenmen mentioned, you need not worry about books getting overdue.

For me, till date, all books are from Amazon.

My Kindle Experience
Extracts of Amazon Products
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top