3080Ti Strix fan noise

kappagod123

Junior Member
Joined
May 29, 2019
Messages
14
Reaction score
3
Hi,

I just bought the 3080 Ti strix today and when I test it in game, the fan noise is like this:



Temperature is also 7x when the case is opened.

Is it the issue that I need to RMA?

Thanks.
 

NightRaven49

Master Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
3,743
Reaction score
1,582
Hi,

I just bought the 3080 Ti strix today and when I test it in game, the fan noise is like this:



Temperature is also 7x when the case is opened.

Is it the issue that I need to RMA?

Thanks.

sounds more like coil whine than fan noise, usually gets more noticeable when u push a lot of fps in games. as for the temperatures being better when the case is opened, that is to be expected as the card has access to more cool airflow from the surroundings as compared to being confined to airflow within the case. not sure about local distro but can try asking if they allow rma for coil whine.
 

Yongkit

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2015
Messages
5,919
Reaction score
2,501
sounds more like coil whine than fan noise, usually gets more noticeable when u push a lot of fps in games. as for the temperatures being better when the case is opened, that is to be expected as the card has access to more cool airflow from the surroundings as compared to being confined to airflow within the case. not sure about local distro but can try asking if they allow rma for coil whine.
Ya sound like coil whine, as for temp I think he meant even open the side panel temp does not improved stay about the same
 
Last edited:

elmariachi

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 30, 2005
Messages
6,357
Reaction score
1,509
Try capping your FPS to your monitor refresh and see if it goes away.
usually when capped, the coil whine reduces drastically.
That way you will know if it is your fans or coil whine.
My 3080 Ti has noticeable coil whine but why do I care when I am using a headset during gaming.
You do not get this when you are working in Windows or the GPU is at idle.
 

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2001
Messages
17,586
Reaction score
1,689
Pretty sure you won't be able to hear it with headphones or speakers turned on.
 

kappagod123

Junior Member
Joined
May 29, 2019
Messages
14
Reaction score
3
sounds more like coil whine than fan noise, usually gets more noticeable when u push a lot of fps in games. as for the temperatures being better when the case is opened, that is to be expected as the card has access to more cool airflow from the surroundings as compared to being confined to airflow within the case. not sure about local distro but can try asking if they allow rma for coil whine.
Try capping your FPS to your monitor refresh and see if it goes away.
usually when capped, the coil whine reduces drastically.
That way you will know if it is your fans or coil whine.
My 3080 Ti has noticeable coil whine but why do I care when I am using a headset during gaming.
You do not get this when you are working in Windows or the GPU is at idle.
Thanks for your reply.
I'm using a 3440x1440 144hz monitor so the games I'm testing, FPS still haven't reached the monitor refresh rate yet. I've been using the 3080 gaming Z trio with same monitor and I don't notice the fan noise or coil while at all. So just wondering about that.
 

kappagod123

Junior Member
Joined
May 29, 2019
Messages
14
Reaction score
3
Ya sound like coil whine, as for temp I think he meant even open the side panel temp does not improved stay about the same
Yes I mean when open the side panel, the temp is still 7x, I just think for a high end card like strix, temp should be lower, I'm not doing any OC btw. BIOS also performance mode.
 

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Joined
Mar 9, 2004
Messages
125,330
Reaction score
6,592
I encounter this before on my Auss TUF RTX3070Ti when the temp stays around 7X degree no matter what. I use Revo uninstaller as recommend by members here. Use that to completely wipe the geforce driver and MSI burner. Then reinstall again. Then everything back to normal.
 

Yongkit

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2015
Messages
5,919
Reaction score
2,501
Yes I mean when open the side panel, the temp is still 7x, I just think for a high end card like strix, temp should be lower, I'm not doing any OC btw. BIOS also performance mode.
Possible to share which game you are playing as some of our members would be able to share the normal load for reference.

If you are willing to try:

1. Reseat your GPU
2. DDU the current driver
3. Install only nvidia driver and not the Nvidia Experience
4. Avoid piggy tail and use 3 pcie cable instead
5. Monitor the temp using HWiNFO
6. Undervolting your GPU and see if situation improve.
 

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,669
Reaction score
2,123
I suggest that you check with distro if coil whine is eligible for replacement/ repair. To me, the temps look fine because the RTX 3080 Ti Strix has a higher power limit than the reference 350W. It is quite surprising that such a high end card ends up with coil whine.
 

keith

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
3,587
Reaction score
85
Hi,

I just bought the 3080 Ti strix today and when I test it in game, the fan noise is like this:



Temperature is also 7x when the case is opened.

Is it the issue that I need to RMA?

Thanks.


i had loud fan noise and high temp 70~80C wif my EVGA 3808Ti FTW initially, then after Under Volt, noise gone, temp max 61 during COD MW.
 

elmariachi

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 30, 2005
Messages
6,357
Reaction score
1,509
I suggest that you check with distro if coil whine is eligible for replacement/ repair. To me, the temps look fine because the RTX 3080 Ti Strix has a higher power limit than the reference 350W. It is quite surprising that such a high end card ends up with coil whine.
Most 3000 series have this it's just whether it's loud or not depending on each card. My 3080 Ti has pretty obvious coilwhine but I don't really care cause it's only during gaming where my headphones are on. Once I'm back in windows or working from it, no coil whine.

Alternatively capping your framerate helps with coilwhine as well.
 

kappagod123

Junior Member
Joined
May 29, 2019
Messages
14
Reaction score
3
Possible to share which game you are playing as some of our members would be able to share the normal load for reference.

If you are willing to try:

1. Reseat your GPU
2. DDU the current driver
3. Install only nvidia driver and not the Nvidia Experience
4. Avoid piggy tail and use 3 pcie cable instead
5. Monitor the temp using HWiNFO
6. Undervolting your GPU and see if situation improve.
I have run DDU but nothing improved.
Tried unvervolting at 850-1800 and temp went down to 69-72, still hearing coil while but less noise. Tested on Ghostwire Tokyo and RDR2.

BTW the recommended PSU is 850W and I'm using 750W (seasonic focus gx). Is there a need to upgrade my PSU?
 

kappagod123

Junior Member
Joined
May 29, 2019
Messages
14
Reaction score
3
Most 3000 series have this it's just whether it's loud or not depending on each card. My 3080 Ti has pretty obvious coilwhine but I don't really care cause it's only during gaming where my headphones are on. Once I'm back in windows or working from it, no coil whine.

Alternatively capping your framerate helps with coilwhine as well.
Yes once I'm done with gaming then the fans stop spinning so I don't hear coil while anyway.

I'm using the 3440x1440 144hz monitor and always cap FPS at 144, or enable vsync if the game doesn't have fps capping.
 

Yongkit

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2015
Messages
5,919
Reaction score
2,501
I have run DDU but nothing improved.
Tried unvervolting at 850-1800 and temp went down to 69-72, still hearing coil while but less noise. Tested on Ghostwire Tokyo and RDR2.

BTW the recommended PSU is 850W and I'm using 750W (seasonic focus gx). Is there a need to upgrade my PSU?

If you have done DDU and nothing improved then we can disregard the driver issue.

as for undervolting looking at your GPU spec you can try 1815MHz @ 925mV with GPU fan speed fixed at 65% (or 70%) and see if any further improvement.

If possible for PSU upgrade i would say yes and using 3 seperate pcie cable. I am using the 3080 non "ti" strix and I find 1000w psu was best for overall system and GPU stability being upgraded from 850w Seasonic focus GX.
 
Last edited:

elmariachi

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 30, 2005
Messages
6,357
Reaction score
1,509
Yes once I'm done with gaming then the fans stop spinning so I don't hear coil while anyway.

I'm using the 3440x1440 144hz monitor and always cap FPS at 144, or enable vsync if the game doesn't have fps capping.

Alternatively setting low latency mode to ULTRA also caps your FPS -4 from your monitor refresh. So you don't need to do each setting manually.
 
Last edited:

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,669
Reaction score
2,123
Most 3000 series have this it's just whether it's loud or not depending on each card. My 3080 Ti has pretty obvious coilwhine but I don't really care cause it's only during gaming where my headphones are on. Once I'm back in windows or working from it, no coil whine.

Alternatively capping your framerate helps with coilwhine as well.
This is a problem in my opinion. I’ve owned 2 RTX 3080 at different point in time, 1 was a 10GB version from Galax and the current 1 is a Zotac 12GB version, and I actually don’t hear coil whine. They tend to be quite high pitched, so they usually stand out from the fan noise, so I am quite positive that I don’t hear it on both units, unless they are very soft. Even the RX 6800 XT Nitro+ did not exhibit this issue. In any case, coil whine is usually more apparent in devices that have high power requirement. If a 350 to 450W GPU now exhibits this fairly consistently as you suggest, I do wonder what will happen with Ada LoveLace at the higher end.
 

elmariachi

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 30, 2005
Messages
6,357
Reaction score
1,509
This is a problem in my opinion. I’ve owned 2 RTX 3080 at different point in time, 1 was a 10GB version from Galax and the current 1 is a Zotac 12GB version, and I actually don’t hear coil whine. They tend to be quite high pitched, so they usually stand out from the fan noise, so I am quite positive that I don’t hear it on both units, unless they are very soft. Even the RX 6800 XT Nitro+ did not exhibit this issue. In any case, coil whine is usually more apparent in devices that have high power requirement. If a 350 to 450W GPU now exhibits this fairly consistently as you suggest, I do wonder what will happen with Ada LoveLace at the higher end.
Coil whine is not by any means a bad thing. It just depends how bothered you are by it. I've seen cards even at much lower TDP do this like my old Trio X 2080 Ti.

But I've noticed this is much more common on cards that use more than 2 X 8pin connectors.

Coil whine is usually high pitched but not at a high noise level. It's basically not loud but the frequency in which our ears hear it makes it very obvious.

Coil whine doesn't affect the performance of the card. Like for me, I can run high clocks as high as 2,175Mhz and gaming consistently at 2115-2130Mhz for raster based titles. I think the much bigger problem is how air coolers are going to handle the much higher TDP of Lovelace. Coil whine exists on many electronic products and the degree to how bad it is depends on how well insulated the card is as well.
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top