4k vs QHD vs HD on laptops

AnTiLooP

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
6,231
Reaction score
87
I've trouble deciding the screen capability for a purchase and wondering if the difference is noticeable. Anyone who has tried the various screen types care to share their experience?
 

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
40,477
Reaction score
6,016
One key thing is for 4k screen laptop, battery time will be shorter.
If you want longer battery get Full HD will do than get a 4K monitor.
 

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,669
Reaction score
2,123
I think first of all, you should ask yourself why you will need a higher resolution monitor? The higher the resolution, the sharper the image, but for a laptop, I feel anything more than a 1440p is overkill. Even at 1080p, I can't really see the pixels unless I look up close.

Battery life aside since you don't think battery life is important, Windows don't always scale well depending on the applications based on my experience. And when it doesn't then hopefully your eyesight is perfect to see the ultra small fonts.

The only good thing about laptop monitors above the conventional 1080p is that they tend to have better brightness and color reproduction because these monitors are generally reserved for higher end laptops.
 
Joined
May 11, 2017
Messages
62,291
Reaction score
11,756
I think first of all, you should ask yourself why you will need a higher resolution monitor? The higher the resolution, the sharper the image, but for a laptop, I feel anything more than a 1440p is overkill. Even at 1080p, I can't really see the pixels unless I look up close.

Battery life aside since you don't think battery life is important, Windows don't always scale well depending on the applications based on my experience. And when it doesn't then hopefully your eyesight is perfect to see the ultra small fonts.

The only good thing about laptop monitors above the conventional 1080p is that they tend to have better brightness and color reproduction because these monitors are generally reserved for higher end laptops.
Maybe he needs 4k as he is seafood connoisseur

Sent from Tehhan's iPhone using GAGT
 

Apparatus

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
May 27, 2005
Messages
58,280
Reaction score
13,841
Also, depends on the size you are buying. For 17 inch QHD and beyond is better
 

Rock-kun

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2007
Messages
991
Reaction score
1
One of my more expensive Atom-powered Chinese laptops has a 4K screen, which I am running at 1x scale (i.e.: no magnification). The text and image quality is simply gorgeous.

The downside is that squinting at the display to read my emails and work has probably worsened my eyesight by a few hundred degrees.
 

AnTiLooP

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
6,231
Reaction score
87
One of my more expensive Atom-powered Chinese laptops has a 4K screen, which I am running at 1x scale (i.e.: no magnification). The text and image quality is simply gorgeous.

The downside is that squinting at the display to read my emails and work has probably worsened my eyesight by a few hundred degrees.

Thank you. In any case, I've settled for a 15 fhd laptop by aftershock... was considering the dell xps but for the price they are offering, it was kinda prohibitive for me. With aftershock, I managed to get a good bump in specs yet at 1k sgd less in cost.
 

hkchew03

Master Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2010
Messages
2,588
Reaction score
553
I find 1440p on my 27" already good enough. :s13: Laptop screen is fine in 1080p in most cases. As long as not 768p is good, those usually very poor quality.
 

iosnewbie

Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 4, 2015
Messages
9,928
Reaction score
3,101
One consideration for laptop screen resolution is that FHD screen spare parts available from taobao is a lot cheaper than 4K and also more readily available since the cost is lower to the sellers.

IPS panels will degrade over time but the main laptop parts like mobo, ram and SSD can last quite long. So being able to easily and economically replace a out of warranty laptop’s screen shouldn’t be over looked.
 

AnTiLooP

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
6,231
Reaction score
87
One consideration for laptop screen resolution is that FHD screen spare parts available from taobao is a lot cheaper than 4K and also more readily available since the cost is lower to the sellers.

IPS panels will degrade over time but the main laptop parts like mobo, ram and SSD can last quite long. So being able to easily and economically replace a out of warranty laptop’s screen shouldn’t be over looked.

Good point. Thanks.
 
Joined
May 11, 2017
Messages
62,291
Reaction score
11,756
Thank you. In any case, I've settled for a 15 fhd laptop by aftershock... was considering the dell xps but for the price they are offering, it was kinda prohibitive for me. With aftershock, I managed to get a good bump in specs yet at 1k sgd less in cost.
as long no problem than YouHeypiCanLiao

Sent from Tehhan's iPhone using GAGT
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top