5-year-old Desktop - Upgrade suggestions!

Kooosh

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
706
Reaction score
0
Planning to upgrade system. Budget wise none. I want to reach an ideal setup that meets my requirement. So that means I'm willing to save up and buy in a few months if need be. Nothing too excessively luxurious - my needs are listed below.. :s12:

Here's my current system
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K 3.4GHZ + Antec Kuhler 920

Mobo: ASUS P67 Sabertooth (B3)

GPU: MSI HD6950 Twin Frozr III Power Edition/OC

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws-X CL9 2x4GB

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB + SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 2TB + Crucial Real SSD M4 128GB

Power: FSP Aurum 750W Modular

Requirements
1. Saving up to upgrade my current 23" Dell IPS to LG's ultrawide curved monitor. Any recommendations?

2. GPU is likely busted. Will check with Nigel at SLS to confirm but physical examination found there are some drip marks likely from the CPU water cooler. Suggestion needed for this!
- I've stopped following releases on makers and models since I got this system 5 years ago so I'm quite lost. Their naming convention hasn't changed by the looks of it, still as confusing as before
- Must be compatible for ultrawide curved monitors
- I'd like to be able to play any "high end" games smoothly
- that said, I'm looking for something that's the cheapest in the top tier​

3. CPU cooler is likely busted as mentioned. Are there any on the market with long warranties? Otherwise my next priority aside from warranty is the durability. Antec failed on me about 4+ years...

4. Cooling in chasis: I'd like to improve cooling in the chassis. Considering #3 above, all other intake/exhaust fans are stock. I've never added or removed any fans before.

5. In a separate off-topic thread I was advised that my mobo don't need to change so I guess that's okay?

6. Power wise I think I may be maxing out now. I have an additional HDD that was previously used as an external drive added to the system. Do I need to upgrade power to accommodate possible future additions? New GPU need more power?

7. I want to have little to no lag as well. So suggestions for RAM upgrade?

Open to any suggestions! Total expenditure (excluding monitor) I'd like to keep it around 600 to 700+.

Thanks in advance!
 

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2011
Messages
16,703
Reaction score
26
Planning to upgrade system. Budget wise none. I want to reach an ideal setup that meets my requirement. So that means I'm willing to save up and buy in a few months if need be. Nothing too excessively luxurious - my needs are listed below.. :s12:

Here's my current system
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K 3.4GHZ + Antec Kuhler 920

Mobo: ASUS P67 Sabertooth (B3)

GPU: MSI HD6950 Twin Frozr III Power Edition/OC

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws-X CL9 2x4GB

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB + SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 2TB + Crucial Real SSD M4 128GB

Power: FSP Aurum 750W Modular

Requirements
1. Saving up to upgrade my current 23" Dell IPS to LG's ultrawide curved monitor. Any recommendations?

2. GPU is likely busted. Will check with Nigel at SLS to confirm but physical examination found there are some drip marks likely from the CPU water cooler. Suggestion needed for this!
- I've stopped following releases on makers and models since I got this system 5 years ago so I'm quite lost. Their naming convention hasn't changed by the looks of it, still as confusing as before
- Must be compatible for ultrawide curved monitors
- I'd like to be able to play any "high end" games smoothly
- that said, I'm looking for something that's the cheapest in the top tier​

3. CPU cooler is likely busted as mentioned. Are there any on the market with long warranties? Otherwise my next priority aside from warranty is the durability. Antec failed on me about 4+ years...

4. Cooling in chasis: I'd like to improve cooling in the chassis. Considering #3 above, all other intake/exhaust fans are stock. I've never added or removed any fans before.

5. In a separate off-topic thread I was advised that my mobo don't need to change so I guess that's okay?

6. Power wise I think I may be maxing out now. I have an additional HDD that was previously used as an external drive added to the system. Do I need to upgrade power to accommodate possible future additions? New GPU need more power?

7. I want to have little to no lag as well. So suggestions for RAM upgrade?

Open to any suggestions! Total expenditure (excluding monitor) I'd like to keep it around 600 to 700+.

Thanks in advance!

2. for your budget the only top tier gpu u can get is maybe RX 480/ GTX 1060

3. u can consider getting ID cooler (cheapest aio), corsair and cyroig (better one, kinda ex).

5.well yes mobo and cpu can dun need to change, but still up to u if u wanna get a skylake cpu or upcoming kaby lake for upgrading.

6. yes its enough, even latest gpu are lowing their power usage to make it more affordable to people not to buy a higher watts psu. but i would advise people to change their psu as well if over 5 years unless there is some warranty left can keep using it.

7. actually ur lag is consider the whole system or during gaming?

well base on ur budget i think u can only get is RX 480 and ID cooling.
as for cpu and mobo u have to raise the budget a bit more.
 

Kooosh

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
706
Reaction score
0
2. I tried to Google around to get a sense of what tier are the RX 480 and GTX 1060 is at but can't seem to find them in this two lists. (Here & here)

3. Have quite a good impression of the Corsair brand. Nice!

5. Sky lake kaby lake :s11: Sounds familiar. Does this refer to the same topic as "Ivy Bridge"? Its sort of like the tier of mobo right?

6. Think I might up my PSU a bit. I'm a bit of a HDD hoarder so I may buy more HDD to addon.

7. I think I'm considered a power user -- running of multiple programs all at once. Referencing PDF to write on Words while playing spotify in the background and 27453324654 tabs opened on Chrome and Evernote + WhatsApp running too kind of person. When I first got my desktop in 2011 it was smooth as hell. Speedy, super responsive, in-game and out-of-game (multitasking). But after awhile it got a little sluggish.

Oh another thing I forgot to mention too - the use of this desktop will not only fall into high res gaming but also flight simulators. Which means I will have additional peripherals and I guess the demand from GPU will also be quite a lot.

Lets say we don't set a budget. But for GPU I'm looking at getting the cheaper top-tiers.

Previously didn't get Nvidia cus of how much heat they produce in my non-airconditioned room. But now that I have aircon... :s22::s12::D

Thanks for your suggestions bro! Clearly I need to do a bit more research on the parts. Just really hate how the models are named. So confusing :s22:
 

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2011
Messages
16,703
Reaction score
26
2. I tried to Google around to get a sense of what tier are the RX 480 and GTX 1060 is at but can't seem to find them in this two lists. (Here & here)

3. Have quite a good impression of the Corsair brand. Nice!

5. Sky lake kaby lake :s11: Sounds familiar. Does this refer to the same topic as "Ivy Bridge"? Its sort of like the tier of mobo right?

6. Think I might up my PSU a bit. I'm a bit of a HDD hoarder so I may buy more HDD to addon.

7. I think I'm considered a power user -- running of multiple programs all at once. Referencing PDF to write on Words while playing spotify in the background and 27453324654 tabs opened on Chrome and Evernote + WhatsApp running too kind of person. When I first got my desktop in 2011 it was smooth as hell. Speedy, super responsive, in-game and out-of-game (multitasking). But after awhile it got a little sluggish.

Oh another thing I forgot to mention too - the use of this desktop will not only fall into high res gaming but also flight simulators. Which means I will have additional peripherals and I guess the demand from GPU will also be quite a lot.

Lets say we don't set a budget. But for GPU I'm looking at getting the cheaper top-tiers.

Previously didn't get Nvidia cus of how much heat they produce in my non-airconditioned room. But now that I have aircon... :s22::s12::D

Thanks for your suggestions bro! Clearly I need to do a bit more research on the parts. Just really hate how the models are named. So confusing :s22:

2. that one isnt updated atm, probably they will update it once they have all the data for the latest gen.

3. well i 4get to mention that u can consider those air cooling if u want.

4. this leads to me to tell u to get a FD define r5 (should be good in the airflow and more than enough for you to store those hdd.)

5. well yes, its more or less like this. just that kaby lake is one tier higher than sky lake? (anyway kaby lake wont be out that fast, so u got to wait)

7. well if u are power user, i dun think i5 will be good enough for your task though. u are better off to make new pc instead of upgrade =:p

anyway since u say u have no budget, u can get a GTX 1080 @1k+ (not sure which brands or model of the gpu suit u) if not u can wait till titan X is out.
 

GrimaH

Master Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2007
Messages
2,901
Reaction score
49
1) Get a 8GBx2 DDR3 kit. 1600MHz will be fine.

2) If your priority is GPU, save a bit and go for the Palit or Zotac GTX1070s, both are below $700 new. Otherwise the GTX1060 is still pretty great starting at ~$390.

3) Get a big air cooler, it won't crap water all over your system. (Noctua NH-D15 gogogo :D)

4) Seconding the Fractal Design Define R5 case recommendation (non-windowed version).

Of course all this depends on how you want to budget. Each of the items above other than the GPU is $~140.
Also, don't worry about the PSU, it's fine. Current NVidia GPUs are far ahead in terms of power consumption figures; the 1070 will take <200W tops no matter what you throw at it.
 
Last edited:

-Synchronicity-

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2012
Messages
2,480
Reaction score
208
Good air coolers can consider the noctua nh-d15 as mentioned above or the cryorig r1(either version. Just get whichever is avaliable here)
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top