5820K vs 6700K

Vodkilla

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 20, 2009
Messages
1,883
Reaction score
128
Hi guys,

A 5820K with an entry level mobo like MSI X99A SLI costs around $900 and a 6700K with a mid range mobo like Asus Maximus Hero costs around $900 too.

In terms of value (6 core vs 4 core) , why do most people seem to get the 6700K?

I am building a new rig with main intention for gaming, which would benefit me more or be of better value?
 

Vodkilla

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 20, 2009
Messages
1,883
Reaction score
128
assuming I overclock both CPUs to the same clockspeed (average 4.5hz), should I not see better performance for the 5820K perhaps for future games that utilize more cores?
 

wkweewee

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2013
Messages
26,900
Reaction score
14
Haha even now my adobe also can't utilise 6x @100% load.. so don't need think so far about games utilising all the cores for now or future lol.
 

xtractor

Master Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2008
Messages
4,672
Reaction score
977
Hi guys,

A 5820K with an entry level mobo like MSI X99A SLI costs around $900 and a 6700K with a mid range mobo like Asus Maximus Hero costs around $900 too.

In terms of value (6 core vs 4 core) , why do most people seem to get the 6700K?

I am building a new rig with main intention for gaming, which would benefit me more or be of better value?

with $900 i would rather upgrade gtx 1070 and remain with ur current system.no need to upgrade the latest cpu
but u want to see comparison here one
 

Vodkilla

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 20, 2009
Messages
1,883
Reaction score
128
with $900 i would rather upgrade gtx 1070 and remain with ur current system.no need to upgrade the latest cpu
but u want to see comparison here one

i am giving away my current system and building a new rig actually...
 

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2009
Messages
27,728
Reaction score
1,554
Well it goes either way,

You can go the X99 route with an entry level board. That is if you are willing to go for a board that has lesser features than the higher end Z170 boards.

At the end of the day, the 5820k would definitely be superior in terms of raw power, that is if you would even use that many cores and threads for drawings and *multi cores programs. Not forgetting that you will be getting 28 PCIe Lanes.

So depending on what you really wanna have. Is either you want to harvest that mighty 6 cores CPU, or you wanna have all the nit gritty features on a high end Z170 board.

*typo
 
Last edited:

dreamer_toons

Master Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2003
Messages
3,694
Reaction score
109
I was in a similar dilemma last year.

In the end, I picked the 5820 since I do media creation from time to time.

I would say pick the one that best suits your needs.
 

concept_fuel

Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2007
Messages
486
Reaction score
0
Reasons to get either one below....

5820kvs6700k_2_zps9jw4fkw9.png




Comparisons between the 2

5820kvs6700k_zpsluzx7nnh.png


Personally I'd go with the 6700K and a Z170 board:D
 

Krabs.

Honorary Member
Joined
May 8, 2007
Messages
140,660
Reaction score
9,355
no need get so expensive mobo with z170 .... entry level z170 no problem hitting max overclock, as long the vrm heatsink is decent
 

Gattberserk

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2008
Messages
10,589
Reaction score
901
I find it funny that there is 6800K available at SLS why compared it with 5820?


6800K comes with the latest instruction set + TSX same as 6700K, there is a reason why its has 10% better IPC than 5820K.


Should be 6700K vs 6800K
 

MoxLotus

Master Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2007
Messages
2,982
Reaction score
4
I find it funny that there is 6800K available at SLS why compared it with 5820?


6800K comes with the latest instruction set + TSX same as 6700K, there is a reason why its has 10% better IPC than 5820K.


Should be 6700K vs 6800K

they are comparing with budget in mind.
 

Vodkilla

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 20, 2009
Messages
1,883
Reaction score
128
If I am not wrong, the X99 refresh mobos are compatible with 5820K eh?

ASUS ROG STRIX X99 GAMING (Intel X99) looking good...
 

Vodkilla

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 20, 2009
Messages
1,883
Reaction score
128
I find it funny that there is 6800K available at SLS why compared it with 5820?


6800K comes with the latest instruction set + TSX same as 6700K, there is a reason why its has 10% better IPC than 5820K.


Should be 6700K vs 6800K

Actually 5820K vs 6800K only like $70 difference...

gg now I have another option lol
 

concept_fuel

Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2007
Messages
486
Reaction score
0
For gaming the 6700k has higher per core clk speed at stock also OCed giving it a slight advantage to either the 5820k and 6800k....reason why most will still go for a 6700k cpu.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top