A wedding present from Singapore

invisible999

Master Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2012
Messages
3,565
Reaction score
2
My very good female friend is getting married in US. She is jewish-american and I want to give her a wedding gift.

Contrary to Singapore/Asia, in US giving people money on wedding is usually is not a good idea, especially if they did not specifically asked for it.

What I want to give her - the type peranakan small wedding/gift boxes for the bride. I've seen in Penang and Malacca museums. Like the one below:

IMG_9746.jpg


Obviously not looking for original one but if you know where I can buy good qualify, even contemporary design would be fine - I would appreciate if you tell me where to buy it. I need small size - need to carry on on a plane as carry on.
 
Last edited:

Parmesean

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2016
Messages
714
Reaction score
2
My very good female friend is getting married in US. She is jewish-american and I want to give her a wedding gift.

Contrary to Singapore/Asia, in US giving people money on wedding is usually is not a good idea, especially if they did not specifically asked for it.

What I want to give her - the type peranakan small wedding/gift boxes for the bride. I've seen in Penang and Malacca museums. Like the one below:

IMG_9746.jpg


Obviously not looking for original one but if you know where I can buy good qualify, even contemporary design would be fine - I would appreciate if you tell me where to buy it. I need small size - need to carry on on a plane as carry on.

There is a store in Malacca, next to the Hotel Mimosa, near the city center, that sells some interesting stuff, like an old fashioned thermos, with the glass interior. You can try there.
 

invisible999

Master Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2012
Messages
3,565
Reaction score
2
There is a store in Malacca, next to the Hotel Mimosa, near the city center, that sells some interesting stuff, like an old fashioned thermos, with the glass interior. You can try there.

Do you remember the name of the shop?

Anything closer to Singapore? Going to Malacca is last resort....
 

gumbokins

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2011
Messages
6,404
Reaction score
683
My very good female friend is getting married in US. She is jewish-american and I want to give her a wedding gift.

Contrary to Singapore/Asia, in US giving people money on wedding is usually is not a good idea, especially if they did not specifically asked for it.

What I want to give her - the type peranakan small wedding/gift boxes for the bride. I've seen in Penang and Malacca museums. Like the one below:

IMG_9746.jpg


Obviously not looking for original one but if you know where I can buy good qualify, even contemporary design would be fine - I would appreciate if you tell me where to buy it. I need small size - need to carry on on a plane as carry on.

in the US it is also customary for the couple to have a gift registry. Would it be better to give them a gift that they specifically asked for?

but can try http://www.rumahbebe.com/index.html
 

Din0saurus

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2011
Messages
56,054
Reaction score
283
as a last resort, you can try the gift shop of the peranakan museum.

will try to ask around for alternatives.
 

invisible999

Master Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2012
Messages
3,565
Reaction score
2
as a last resort, you can try the gift shop of the peranakan museum.

Yep, was suggested this place too.

in the US it is also customary for the couple to have a gift registry. Would it be better to give them a gift that they specifically asked for?
They are not going to have one - it is civil ceremony at city hall with dinner and very close friends 2 month later once they move to new house.


Good idea, thanks.
 
Last edited:

invisible999

Master Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2012
Messages
3,565
Reaction score
2
You are looking for lacquerware. Tangs has it.

Thank you for hints.

Today I made my recon. Peranakan museum does not have them. Went to Chinatown, shops across Pagoda st had them, but buy, the prices... $600-$1200??

I am not going to pay more than $80 for this. If Tangs has contemporary version within this range - great.
 

AH CHIA

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2009
Messages
1,020
Reaction score
0
Thank you for hints.

Today I made my recon. Peranakan museum does not have them. Went to Chinatown, shops across Pagoda st had them, but buy, the prices... $600-$1200??

I am not going to pay more than $80 for this. If Tangs has contemporary version within this range - great.

How about Taobao? I recall seeing before when my colleague beside me was searching all day long in office for something similar.
 

invisible999

Master Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2012
Messages
3,565
Reaction score
2
Have a look at Scene Shang. They have an item within your budget.
Thanks. Is this their address - 263 Beach Rd, Singapore,199542?

Went today at Vivo Tangs. They did have lacquerware but it was not appealing. Will continue searching....

If I have to go to Johor, where (which section of the city/shops/areas) most likely I can find this or similar items?
 

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2002
Messages
29,653
Reaction score
3,501
Thanks. Is this their address - 263 Beach Rd, Singapore,199542?

Went today at Vivo Tangs. They did have lacquerware but it was not appealing. Will continue searching....

If I have to go to Johor, where (which section of the city/shops/areas) most likely I can find this or similar items?

Scene Shang has a website/webstore. Else get them to email you what you want/they have.
 

invisible999

Master Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2012
Messages
3,565
Reaction score
2
Scene Shang has a website/webstore. Else get them to email you what you want/they have.

Was there this evening. Nice store, nice boxes, but they were $265 per piece. Smaller ones was $65 per box, and idea is that better to have set of tree.

Search continues. :)
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top