I won't knock these in-wall units. these are the type that are most acceptable to many wives.
Whenever I recommend to friends, the in-walls usually win. I usually have to push for one ceiling mount to properly cover large areas (hall, dining), but for room coverage it's always the in-walls that win.
I had one friend whose wife insisted on all in-walls, but eventually conceded that ceiling for the hall gave much better coverage when we tested.
The other APs that are very popular are Unifi's Mesh series. which are quite seamless and can fit in well. Especially because they don't look like APs so it helps.
View attachment 49692
One clear no-no for many wives, those devices with multiple antennas sticking out and looking really ugly, "almost like upside-down dead spiders" - to quote at least two of them. Asus has a few gaming routers that fit the bill.
View attachment 49693
The coke bottle unifi is quite nice with the blue ring on top. Helped some to setup by placing it on the TV console. Quite elegant.