Activation issues for Win 10

Gymrat76

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I recently built a new gaming PC and was intending to migrate my Win 10 from the old rig over to the new rig. The Windows 10 I had in the old rig is a retail version of Win8 that I upgraded for free to Win 10, purchased 6-7 years ago (lost receipt, lost product key etc.).

Since I didn't have the product key, I googled and found 3rd party software that could extract the product key, which I then used on my new PC when installing a fresh copy of Windows 10 Home. However, after installation, Windows said I didn't have a valid key so it was not activated. I called MS support and they could not really help me, saying the key that was extracted is a 'generic' key that's provided when the software is unable to detect a valid key. However on my old PC, the Windows remains activated without any issues.

Do I need to buy a new copy of Windows? I see MS selling them for SGD$200+ but I also see other websites (recommended by tomshardware as being legit) selling volume product keys for $20+ USD/EUR, though those are OEM as opposed to retail keys sold my MS.

Any idea what I can do to move the Windows to the new PC, or if there's indeed no way, on good alternatives for activation besides purchasing from MS directly?

tsteo77

Reaction score
Is your previous win10 Home OEM copy ? Why not get a new WIN10 Home OEM DVD from SLS ? It cost about $120.
It can be use as long as mainboard not been replace.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.