Advice for Beginner: First DSLR- 650D vs A65

Eternit

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2010
Messages
2,360
Reaction score
262
Hey guys,

I would like to get my very first DSLR, being rooted to Canon 650D and was about to buy, when I came across Sony A65, and man it's a monster compared to 650D. But I heard it does not perform well under high ISO?

Any other suggestions? Please advice.
 

Gribber

Banned
Joined
Apr 6, 2012
Messages
11,562
Reaction score
0
Hey guys,

I would like to get my very first DSLR, being rooted to Canon 650D and was about to buy, when I came across Sony A65, and man it's a monster compared to 650D. But I heard it does not perform well under high ISO?

Any other suggestions? Please advice.

I prefer Sony than Canon over the Internal-inbody Stabilizer
 

shadey

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2009
Messages
6,780
Reaction score
721
The A65 uses a 24-MP sensor. I would much rather get an A58 or A57. :D

The tilting LCD, fast AF in live view (great for overhead or low-angle shots) and built-in IS are great. Can use old Minolta lenses too. And since it's SLT, you get an electronic viewfinder where you can immediately see your changes like white balance, exposure, etc, before you even take a shot. No need to shoot, check rear LCD, adjust, shoot again, check rear LCD again, adjust, etc.
 

shadey

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2009
Messages
6,780
Reaction score
721
Why A58 or A57 instead? Isnt 24 MP sensor better? A58 and A57 is like inferior version of A65 leh

More MP is better at:
- good light photography
- landscape photos

Lower MP (on new-generation technology like the A57/A58) is better for:
- High ISO
- faster FPS (less data to crunch and faster writes to memory card)


So it really depends on your needs. Yes, I will agree that the A65 is a notch above the A57 and A58, especially since it comes with an excellent OLED EVF and overall better build.

BUT, the 24MP sensor means your high ISO will not look so nice *when viewed at 100%*. That last part is KEY. With one pass of noise reduction in lightroom/neatimage/noiseninja/etc and resized for upload on the web, or printed out, you would not be able to tell the difference.

So you can get the A65, but DO NOT be shocked by "more noise" at higher ISO. It will mostly disappear when you resize to "normal" web sizes.

If you need to shoot at ISO 6400, etc for your shots, you should be looking at full frame cameras like the A99.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top