[Advice] Help to upgrade 5 y/o computer

Winter-Cat

Junior Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2015
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Hello, recently my computer graphics is facing some issues - freezing of computer when playing certain low-end games (?) and now it cannot be detected - so was thinking of upgrading my rig since it has been 5 years

As much as possible i would like to reuse below parts and am currently looking at AMD equivalents or NVD RTX3070 for upgrade in CPU

Hope to have some advise on what parts are in more need of an upgrade

details are as below

Current Build
Processor
Intel(R) Core(Tm) i5-6400 CPU @2.70GHz

Mainboard
MSI B150M Bazooka

Graphics Card
AMD Radeon R9 390 Series

Memory
8GB Ram

Storage Drive
250GB SSD 1TB HDD

Power Supply Unit
Superflower SF-550F14MT [Silver230V]

Casing
Fractal Design Define S

Thanks!
 

Winter-Cat

Junior Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2015
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Any budget in consideration as well games to play?

Budget about 1-1.2k probably but think it will mainly be for the graphic card and motherboard and/or PSU , games - over watch, horizon zero dawn.

Looking for trade ins as well and was looking at aftershock or dream core but not sure if they have such options

Posted from PCWX using iPhone11,8
 

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,669
Reaction score
2,123
Budget about 1-1.2k probably but think it will mainly be for the graphic card and motherboard and/or PSU , games - over watch, horizon zero dawn.

Looking for trade ins as well and was looking at aftershock or dream core but not sure if they have such options

Posted from PCWX using iPhone11,8

They don't do trade ins, not that I am aware of.

Anyway, it could be a good time for you to get last generation CPU and GPU during the Black Friday sale. Last gen like Ryzen 3xxx and RX 5700/ RTX 2xxx series. If you are looking for current gen CPU and GPU, I think they will be either very expensive or no stock.
 

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,669
Reaction score
2,123
Anyway, if you are gunning for a RTX 3070 or equivalent, then you will need to increase your budget to at least 1.5K. The reason is because just the graphic card itself will set you back close to 900 bucks. That will leave you with hardly any budget for CPU, motherboard, RAM and PSU.
 

Yongkit

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2015
Messages
5,916
Reaction score
2,501
Anyway, if you are gunning for a RTX 3070 or equivalent, then you will need to increase your budget to at least 1.5K. The reason is because just the graphic card itself will set you back close to 900 bucks. That will leave you with hardly any budget for CPU, motherboard, RAM and PSU.
Agreed with Ken for the 1.5k budget its better opt for last year Ryzen 3xxx and RX 5700/ RTX 2xxx series + RAM + PSU during Black Friday Sales on 27-Nov.

You still can upgrade to Ryzen 5xxx series few years later when the price is more reasonable down the road from 6/8 core to 12 core and above.
 

wwenze

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2002
Messages
86,790
Reaction score
30,399
I would keep the CPU and RAM until Zen4 comes.

If you go Zen 3xxx now it will only be a side-grade for single-thread performance.
I thought of doing a full massive upgrade to 32GB + 5900 but the total cost is daunting and I question the benefit of so many cores although it feels nice.
If go for 32GB (yea I'm adamant on 32GB) + 5600 I get 6 core with good single-thread performance but the socket as well as DDR4 ends at this generation so will be stuck with 6 core for a while... unless you like buying 2020 CPU to upgrade a 2022 rig.

My situation is like yours but worse because my Skylake's voltage control has broke, I need a bigger SSD and hence better to use NVME which Skylake mobo does not have, I'm on 8GB DDR3 and need more, I need more slots so I need to change form factor away from mITX, and I need more chipset bandwidth so I need to change mobo due to that too. And then I still need to change to a case that can support at least 3 HDD...

And then both Intel and AMD pull this kind of **** for the last 2 years. 4000 desktop APU MIA, Intel desktop 10nm also MIA.
 
Last edited:

Yongkit

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2015
Messages
5,916
Reaction score
2,501
I would keep the CPU and RAM until Zen4 comes.

If you go Zen 3xxx now it will only be a side-grade for single-thread performance.
I thought of doing a full massive upgrade to 32GB + 5900 but the total cost is daunting and I question the benefit of so many cores although it feels nice.
If go for 32GB (yea I'm adamant on 32GB) + 5600 I get 6 core with good single-thread performance but the socket as well as DDR4 ends at this generation so will be stuck with 6 core for a while... unless you like buying 2020 CPU to upgrade a 2022 rig.

My situation is like yours but worse because my Skylake's voltage control has broke, I need a bigger SSD and hence better to use NVME which Skylake mobo does not have, I'm on 8GB DDR3 and need more, I need more slots so I need to change form factor away from mITX, and I need more chipset bandwidth so I need to change mobo due to that too. And then I still need to change to a case that can support at least 3 HDD...

And then both Intel and AMD pull this kind of **** for the last 2 years. 4000 desktop APU MIA, Intel desktop 10nm also MIA.

Agreed on the the single thread performance could be better in i5, however the cpu will probably running at 100% to cope with the game requirements if he play intensive game which will result in choppiness when CPU in full load during game sessions.

Upgrading to Zen 3 will very much reduce the cpu resources utilization and gain smoothness during game play compare to i5 even though it just a tab slower but more stable FPS

I myself upgraded from i5-7600k to Zen 3 learn the lessons.
 

Winter-Cat

Junior Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2015
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Sell off your whole rig first

That’s the ideal situation but cause of my work so I kinda neee to replace everything hopefully by end of this week haha, will loook into lowering my requirements as per above comments as well - any idea if i were to purchase a random graphic card say 1060 at 100 dollars to use with my current rig tentatively for work it will be worth it? I believe with the new AMD event on the 18th there will be a downward adjustment in prices or am I being too optimistic. Happy to hear thoughts on this

Posted from PCWX using iPhone11,8
 

Ah Tiong Bu

Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2008
Messages
125
Reaction score
0
That’s the ideal situation but cause of my work so I kinda neee to replace everything hopefully by end of this week haha, will loook into lowering my requirements as per above comments as well - any idea if i were to purchase a random graphic card say 1060 at 100 dollars to use with my current rig tentatively for work it will be worth it? I believe with the new AMD event on the 18th there will be a downward adjustment in prices or am I being too optimistic. Happy to hear thoughts on this

Posted from PCWX using iPhone11,8

If you need to get your PC up and running by end of this week, I will suggest a GTX1660 (provided your PC can work with just a GPU replacement). It may be a budget GPU, but it can run modern games including (Overwatch and Horizon) with 1080p60fps easily, just without the high end features like ray-tracing, 4K, 120 fps etc. The GTX 1060 is old (and discontinued I believe). New product release won't affect its price anymore.

Then over Black Friday, get a discounted CPU (Ryzen 5 3600x) and motherboard (either X570 or B550). If you can afford, get a 16GB DDR ram too over Black Friday too.

Then when you have sufficient money again you can consider getting a bigger SSD.
 

Koenig168

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2007
Messages
10,068
Reaction score
1,763
That’s the ideal situation but cause of my work so I kinda neee to replace everything hopefully by end of this week haha, will loook into lowering my requirements as per above comments as well - any idea if i were to purchase a random graphic card say 1060 at 100 dollars to use with my current rig tentatively for work it will be worth it? I believe with the new AMD event on the 18th there will be a downward adjustment in prices or am I being too optimistic. Happy to hear thoughts on this

Posted from PCWX using iPhone11,8

I doubt there will be much of a downward adjustment in prices soon. GTX 1060 at S$100 is a good deal though I have not seen it at that price yet.
 

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,669
Reaction score
2,123
That’s the ideal situation but cause of my work so I kinda neee to replace everything hopefully by end of this week haha, will loook into lowering my requirements as per above comments as well - any idea if i were to purchase a random graphic card say 1060 at 100 dollars to use with my current rig tentatively for work it will be worth it? I believe with the new AMD event on the 18th there will be a downward adjustment in prices or am I being too optimistic. Happy to hear thoughts on this

Posted from PCWX using iPhone11,8

Random GTX 1060 @ 100 = used card? For the purpose of work, you really don't need a GTX 1060. But seriously I would recommend you to wait for Black Friday sale since you still have integrated graphics to fall back on.
 

Winter-Cat

Junior Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2015
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Random GTX 1060 @ 100 = used card? For the purpose of work, you really don't need a GTX 1060. But seriously I would recommend you to wait for Black Friday sale since you still have integrated graphics to fall back on.

Yes it’s a used card. I’m not too sure but with the integrated card I’m unable to project on two monitors for some reason so I thought it’s related to the GPU stuff, will look into it again !

Posted from PCWX using iPhone11,8
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top