Advice needed regarding Disk Cloning

Frozzy_

Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2012
Messages
136
Reaction score
0
Hi bros,

Here's my question:

I have a 500GB HDD currently, and the current 500GB HDD has 2 partitions, and I want to clone it to a 1TB HDD.

I want to clone everything exactly over the other side. Question I want to ask is that after cloning, I will need to manage manually for the unallocated space? Or rather nothing affects my current data after cloning over?

Do you guys use Acronis to clone disks? Because this is my first time doing it.. Just to be sure... and hope no data loss. As Acronis has different options to do so..

Sorry for the noob question..
 

stan216

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2012
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
34
*Based on my previous experience with another cloning software*

Yes, you can clone the data over from the 500GB HDD to the 1TB HDD.

Since the original source is 500GB, the remaining space in the 1TB would be unallocated. you should be free to format this remaining space (remainder 500GB) as you see fit when you boot into windows.

The cloning should copy the entire logical partition as it is. Meaning, if your current 500GB is partitioned like partition A 250 GB, partition B 250GB, after cloning into the 1TB HDD you should get partition A and B as it was in the 500GB HDD. (And the remaining unallocated space is free for you to use as you see fit.)

All the data inside the logical partitions should remain as it is. That's the purpose of cloning after all right? To copy over everything as it is without the hassle of reinstalling everything else.

have you tried to google search for some online help?
Acronis Backup & Recovery 11.5 Help

Worst come to worst, you simply wasted your time copying over to the 1TB HDD.
 

xtreme84

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2009
Messages
1,782
Reaction score
4
It should be as stan216 mentioned. I've cloned multiple HDDs and SSDs and they've turned out perfectly fine so far.

Usually you will have to manage the unallocated space manually, which I feel is a good thing actually. Cos that means you can increase the space of your current partitions if you wish to.
 

Mythmaker

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2004
Messages
11,772
Reaction score
0
stan216 is almost correct, except for the unallocated part.

The "unallocated part" will be allocated to the 2nd partition by default in your case.

So if your original C: drive partition have 100GB and D: drive 400GB, you will end up with c: 100GB and d: 900GB when you boot up.

That's for the latest Arconis. I just cloned last week.
 

Louisloo

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2010
Messages
811
Reaction score
0
Acronis will give you the option to
1) size remains the original and leave extra as unallocated
2) size will expand proportionally
3) do a manual resize. You can select which partition to increase or remain the original size.
 

Peach Tea

Suspended
Joined
Aug 27, 2014
Messages
12,291
Reaction score
779
It should be as stan216 mentioned. I've cloned multiple HDDs and SSDs and they've turned out perfectly fine so far.

Usually you will have to manage the unallocated space manually, which I feel is a good thing actually. Cos that means you can increase the space of your current partitions if you wish to.

can clone from 500gb HDD to 120gb SSD?
HDD used less then 80gb space.
 

stan216

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2012
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
34
can clone from 500gb HDD to 120gb SSD?
HDD used less then 80gb space.

If a partition in the 500GB space is 120GB or less, yes, you can clone that partition.

If that 1 partition takes up the entire 500GB HDD, no, you cannot clone the partition over to the 120GB SSD. You have 500ml of water, you can't squeeze that amount into a 250ml container. You need to shrink the partition to the same size or smaller than the SSD.

As Mythmaker said my reply in my earlier post is almost correct, I should add that I do not know what kind of features/options the more recent disk cloning utility software has to offer. For example, in the thread starter's case, the "unallocated part" will be allocated to the 2nd partition by default. That said, I do not know if the latest Acronis has the option to copy over only the data files, which in your case totals less than 80GB. My experience was with another software some 4+ years back, but in general, disk cloning utilities should at the very least allow the cloning of partition as it is onto another disk.

assuming there isn't a partition shrinking option in whichever 3rd party disk cloning utility you are using, you got to shrink the partition in windows first before you clone it over to SSD. Do note that if you happen to be using windows XP, you cannot resize a partition without formatting the partition. It sucks, right? This feature/function should be available in Vista onwards.


take note of the realignment issue when cloning from HDD to SSD. Use this guide:
How to Migrate your System to an SSD - HardwareZone.com.sg
 

xtreme84

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2009
Messages
1,782
Reaction score
4
can clone from 500gb HDD to 120gb SSD?
HDD used less then 80gb space.

I used Acronis many years back and I can't really remember if I managed to do so. I think I might have.

What I'm using now is THIS for convenience as I do help my family/friends with their computers quite often. Being able to just pop the HDDs in and let the docking station do its magic is really much easier. The only drawback is that the target disk has to be larger than the source disk.
 

Frozzy_

Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2012
Messages
136
Reaction score
0
Side track abit..

Anyone have any idea how much difference of in terms of speed comparing with SSD and SSHD? I know SSD is definitely faster.

But if by 2 to 3 sec difference only, probably I might go for SSHD instead with that large storage at a more cheaper price with longer disk lifespan.
 

Louisloo

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2010
Messages
811
Reaction score
0
Depending on what you use your PC for.

If just normal office or home PC and no graphics intensive games or applications, then SSHD is good enough.
 

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Joined
May 3, 2001
Messages
139,213
Reaction score
17,455
What I'm using now is THIS for convenience as I do help my family/friends with their computers quite often. Being able to just pop the HDDs in and let the docking station do its magic is really much easier. The only drawback is that the target disk has to be larger than the source disk.

How much is that? That seems very convenient indeed! :o
 

xtreme84

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2009
Messages
1,782
Reaction score
4
How much is that? That seems very convenient indeed! :o

I see.... would be useful if it supported HDDs larger than 3TB. :o

I think I paid around that price for mine at Challenger. It is indeed very convenient. I'm not sure if it really doesn't support larger than 3TB HDDs as I use mine mainly for cloning the OS drive, so usually it's less than 1TB even.

Was quite useful when I helped my friends/family migrate to SSD.
 

Asure7

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2009
Messages
5,169
Reaction score
276
can clone from 500gb HDD to 120gb SSD?
HDD used less then 80gb space.


Can. I just cloned 500GB hdd (150GB used space) to a 240GB SSD using Acronis True Image.

I think it depends on how you use the software.
There are difference ways to clone i.e. Full Disk Image... Sector-by-sector cloning (usually done when file system type is unknown or not supported) ..... or File level Cloning (which is faster and have flexibility to adjust target partition size).
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top