Advice on I5 MOBO pls

penyekz

Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2001
Messages
378
Reaction score
0
I'm after a CPU + MOBO combo and need some advice.

I do not overclock and don't really game. I need a good reliable system.

Can salvage old SSD/HDD/Case/PSU/Monitor. Just hoot 16gb ram + PCI WIFI from Amazon. Now looking for a processor. Old Biostar MOBO gave up ram slots so I think other components may be going - Will only go for good brands like ASUS, gigabyte, MSI.

Probably after an i5 4670 processor as it seems best value for buck.

Which MOBO do you think is best for reliability?

Asus H87 series (got pro/plus) $200 +/-10

Gigabye H87M-D3H $185

Gigabye Z87-D3H $205 <---- Maybe Z87 more reliable even though I'm not OC.

Budget for MOBO around $200 unless you guys know of a cheaper better unit.
 

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2009
Messages
27,727
Reaction score
1,553
So you want a mobo alone? Or both mobo and CPU?

By the way Mobo + i5 is gonna be more expensive.

$200 is not going to be enough.
 

HairySpice

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2002
Messages
1,834
Reaction score
2
I'm after a CPU + MOBO combo and need some advice.

I do not overclock and don't really game. I need a good reliable system.

Can salvage old SSD/HDD/Case/PSU/Monitor. Just hoot 16gb ram + PCI WIFI from Amazon. Now looking for a processor. Old Biostar MOBO gave up ram slots so I think other components may be going - Will only go for good brands like ASUS, gigabyte, MSI.

Probably after an i5 4670 processor as it seems best value for buck.

Which MOBO do you think is best for reliability?

Asus H87 series (got pro/plus) $200 +/-10

Gigabye H87M-D3H $185

Gigabye Z87-D3H $205 <---- Maybe Z87 more reliable even though I'm not OC.

Budget for MOBO around $200 unless you guys know of a cheaper better unit.

Go for Biostar H87S3+ buy from Tradepac, value for money. Only $115.
Their boards never fail me. Lasted for about 3 years without switching off.
 

penyekz

Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2001
Messages
378
Reaction score
0
I meant $200 for MOBO alone and yes I want to get a MOBO + CPU combo locally.

I worry about Biostar since mine is now starting to fail.
 
Last edited:

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2009
Messages
27,727
Reaction score
1,553
Isn't H87 better than B series?

B85/H81
H87
Z87

Go read up more before you know what you are getting.

B85/H81 is an entry level mobo. With everything stripped down to the basic functions you will need.

H87 comes with slightly more SATA ports for you to connect more HDD/SSD for you to do RAID. Other than SSD Caching, it offers no difference in performance from the B85.

Z87 comes with overclocking functions WITH a "K" processor. Some boards comes with the ability to SLI. Some of the Z87 boards are made using much higher quality components.

So if you are not gonna use much of a functions like RAID or OCing and SLI-ing then best is just go with B85.
 

penyekz

Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2001
Messages
378
Reaction score
0
B85/H81
H87
Z87

Go read up more before you know what you are getting.

B85/H81 is an entry level mobo. With everything stripped down to the basic functions you will need.

H87 comes with slightly more SATA ports for you to connect more HDD/SSD for you to do RAID. Other than SSD Caching, it offers no difference in performance from the B85.

Z87 comes with overclocking functions WITH a "K" processor. Some boards comes with the ability to SLI. Some of the Z87 boards are made using much higher quality components.

So if you are not gonna use much of a functions like RAID or OCing and SLI-ing then best is just go with B85.

Thanks for that!

I did read but was confused. Some sites say Z series is the higher end one so manufacturers ensure that the components are top compared to H series.

I am planning to use a SSD so should I not be getting a H series for cacheing?
 

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2009
Messages
27,727
Reaction score
1,553
Thanks for that!

I did read but was confused. Some sites say Z series is the higher end one so manufacturers ensure that the components are top compared to H series.

I am planning to use a SSD so should I not be getting a H series for cacheing?

See whether you need it. It will be slightly faster. But tbh you cant feel it.

But if you have the money you can go for it also. If not then the b85 will be a best option for you out there.
 

penyekz

Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2001
Messages
378
Reaction score
0
So if its a non-B MB, which would you go for? All about same price.


My PSU is a cooler master 500W bought in 2009... used till 2011 and was in storage till now. Just tried to start up my AMD Phenom and it runs well except 2 slots memory failed on that Biostar MB. So I'm thinking of upgrading the whole thing.

I think can still use the PSU until it dies... No harm right?
 

HairySpice

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2002
Messages
1,834
Reaction score
2
I meant $200 for MOBO alone and yes I want to get a MOBO + CPU combo locally.

I worry about Biostar since mine is now starting to fail.

If you calculate the years you spend on it... it actually quite worth :)
Yours almost 3 years. And 3 years is a good time to upgrade.

2 boards I would go for if i have a atx casing.
MSI H87-G43 Gaming $209
Asrock H87 Performance $175
Tradepac.

Take your pick. MSI and Asrock both lasted me 2.5 to 3 years. 2 boards each AMD and INTEL.
That is why I opt for Biostar... since same life span.

Gigabyte and Asus, lasted me about 5 years. Some in my cupboard socket A still working but in my cupboard.
 

penyekz

Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2001
Messages
378
Reaction score
0
3 years is good time?! LOL, hope it lasts longer than that. At the current speeds, unless into extreme gaming, these specs should last 5 years at least. Most companies are still using XP with core2duo CPU.

I think Gigabyte vs Asus. Which boards for this brand?

Also, does it matter if we can a micro ATX vs standard? I have a standard ATX case. Are Micro less lasting as everything all squeeze together?
 

HairySpice

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2002
Messages
1,834
Reaction score
2
Is personal to how long a board should last. Some people says 2 years is good. LOL.
For me ideally is about 3 years, because it is time up upgrade.

Take my board for example, it is the only B85 in the market that gives 5 years warranty.
usually motherboard warranties is about 2-3 years.

Gigabyte H87-D3H or Asus H87-Plus. These are the ones that fit your budget.
The more your spend doesn't mean is better quality, it just means there are more functions and expansions. Look for those that use Japanese or Taiwanese caps. Should give you about 5 years of use.

Enjoy your new system! :)

About MATX and ATX. Your idea is correct in a sense.
I am using MATX to save physical space on my desk. Also easy to go out on lan outings.

If you are going to install Soundcard, SLI/Crossfire, using PCIE SSDs, ATX is the way to go.

Matx with most matx casings, would give you 1 gpu card and pci/pcie sound card expansion

If you do not plan to expand, matx is ideal for you. But good boards locally, like H87 performance, MSI gaming boards, are usually ATX form.

Usually, people would go for ATX or ITX. ITX is because onboard sound these days are better than older AC97s. So they might just drop in a 780 or 290 gpu. Saves more space than MATX.



Just to add, Biostar manufactures Intel boards in the past, not sure about the current ones. I guess that is why i am a Biostar and ECS fan, for years they have been in the scene compared to MSI and Asus.
 
Last edited:

penyekz

Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2001
Messages
378
Reaction score
0
Thanks for the advice! I shall go with Asus or gigabyte.... will do a bit more reading around.

Almost hooted a Cosair AX760i for $150 USD = $190 SGD from Amazon. Thats an $80 savings but decided that since my coolermaster 500W still running, should use it until it dies.

Amazing how stuff are so much cheaper on Amazon.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top