Hi guys, i have a few questions!
My current laptop is running on a Dual Core CPU and 512MB NVIDIA 105M GPU which is super ancient...I'm looking to upgrade for university studies as well as a little gaming (just LoL, Dota2 kinda games at most)
I have a budget of 1.6k and looking for a 15.6" laptop with FHD display and some form of SSD/Hybrid Drive for booting purposes.
1. So far, I've been enticed by the HP Envy j127tx which seem to fit my needs very well. But with my narrow knowledge of computers, will it be a good purchase? Or are there wiser alternatives i could consider?
Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ (2.4 GHz, 6 MB cache, 4 cores)
8GB RAM
750 GB 5400 rpm SATA SSHD
15.6" diagonal FHD BrightView LED-backlit touch screen (1920 x 1080
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M (2 GB DDR3 dedicated)
Current RRP: $1599
2. It seems like it's wiser to wait for the upcoming PC Show before making my final decision since its just a month plus away. But I'm very much tempted to go down to a shop and grab one now. Will the prices be drastically different there? Or is there any shop in Singapore i can go to outside of IT fair periods to get a better price/deal?
3. Will shops/fairs allow me to upgrade certain hardware of the laptop such as RAM and GPU?
4. Some laptops have a Hybrid drive with xGB of SSD. Some have xGB of mSATA or some other thing I don't understand. Are they one drive by itself or two separates drives which i can open from "My Computer"? How do I know whether the "SSD" is being utilised?
Thanks for reading!
My current laptop is running on a Dual Core CPU and 512MB NVIDIA 105M GPU which is super ancient...I'm looking to upgrade for university studies as well as a little gaming (just LoL, Dota2 kinda games at most)
I have a budget of 1.6k and looking for a 15.6" laptop with FHD display and some form of SSD/Hybrid Drive for booting purposes.
1. So far, I've been enticed by the HP Envy j127tx which seem to fit my needs very well. But with my narrow knowledge of computers, will it be a good purchase? Or are there wiser alternatives i could consider?
Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ (2.4 GHz, 6 MB cache, 4 cores)
8GB RAM
750 GB 5400 rpm SATA SSHD
15.6" diagonal FHD BrightView LED-backlit touch screen (1920 x 1080
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M (2 GB DDR3 dedicated)
Current RRP: $1599
2. It seems like it's wiser to wait for the upcoming PC Show before making my final decision since its just a month plus away. But I'm very much tempted to go down to a shop and grab one now. Will the prices be drastically different there? Or is there any shop in Singapore i can go to outside of IT fair periods to get a better price/deal?
3. Will shops/fairs allow me to upgrade certain hardware of the laptop such as RAM and GPU?
4. Some laptops have a Hybrid drive with xGB of SSD. Some have xGB of mSATA or some other thing I don't understand. Are they one drive by itself or two separates drives which i can open from "My Computer"? How do I know whether the "SSD" is being utilised?
Thanks for reading!
Last edited:

