Advice on overclocking Q8300

xtreme84

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2009
Messages
1,782
Reaction score
4
Is the mobo stable now?

I've just completed reinstallation and am in the midst of transferring back my data from my backup drive. I swapped the 2 sticks of RAM around the 2 slots and it appears to have worked. However, I'm gonna hold my tongue till I actually complete everything and get a certain level of stability.

I seriously regret getting this mobo as it appears to be rather unstable. Should have gotten an Asus or Gigabyte. I can't even overclock with this board, seeing how unstable it is even without overclocking. I can only console myself by telling myself that at least I can use 8GB of DDR3 RAM now.
 

ksrokiller

Master Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2007
Messages
3,469
Reaction score
61
Hmm maybe you can post your stability issue at hardware clinic, the people from there may able to help you with it.
 

xtreme84

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2009
Messages
1,782
Reaction score
4
It appears to be fine after swapping the RAMs around. It's strange, isn't it? I'm leaving the computer on tonight so it can do the updates. When it's done, I'm gonna run the IntelBurnTest when I get home tonight. If all works out, I'm gonna reseat the heatsink and attempt to do some cable management in the very limited space of my Elite 430. Shall go to bed now. Goodnight and thanks bro!
 

ksrokiller

Master Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2007
Messages
3,469
Reaction score
61
It appears to be fine after swapping the RAMs around. It's strange, isn't it? I'm leaving the computer on tonight so it can do the updates. When it's done, I'm gonna run the IntelBurnTest when I get home tonight. If all works out, I'm gonna reseat the heatsink and attempt to do some cable management in the very limited space of my Elite 430. Shall go to bed now. Goodnight and thanks bro!

No problem:) yes it is, It might be some common ram compatibility issues on certain mobo. Do post your result again.:)
 

xtreme84

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2009
Messages
1,782
Reaction score
4
Ok, I reinstalled iTunes in an attempt to see how it'll work out. Was hesitant as I was afraid it might wipe out the data on my iPhone. The system seems stable now, strangely. Anyway, I'm heading out to work, will run the burn test when I get home tonight. It still amazes me how swapping the RAM around can solve the issue. You have a good day bro, I'll run the tests tonight when I'm home from work.
 

xtreme84

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2009
Messages
1,782
Reaction score
4
I took apart my system and redid everything again. Turns out the 4-pin power connector came off as it was loose and the angle of the placement only made it worse.

I tried to push it in more firmly. Re-applied thermal paste and re-seated my heatsink. Temperatures have gone down, but I'm not sure if my problem has been solved. I'm running the IntelBurnTest now.

I ran it before I took apart everything as well. There was some error, which was why I took apart everything. Keeping my fingers crossed.
 

ksrokiller

Master Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2007
Messages
3,469
Reaction score
61
I took apart my system and redid everything again. Turns out the 4-pin power connector came off as it was loose and the angle of the placement only made it worse.

I tried to push it in more firmly. Re-applied thermal paste and re-seated my heatsink. Temperatures have gone down, but I'm not sure if my problem has been solved. I'm running the IntelBurnTest now.

I ran it before I took apart everything as well. There was some error, which was why I took apart everything. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Does the IntelBurnTest indicate the source of the error? Hope your problem will be solved:)
 

xtreme84

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2009
Messages
1,782
Reaction score
4
The same error occurred again. I'm beginning to think I might have to just go get the board swapped. Thing is, I'm not sure if it's the RAM or board, since these are the only 2 components that are new in my system. The error mesage that IntelBurnTest displays is something about overclock not stable. Thing is, I'm running stock for everything. My previous mobo didn't give me these issues.

Anyway, pardon my rant. I hope things work out soon. Despite all these problems, I don't see myself going back to "branded" PCs anymore, haha...
 

ksrokiller

Master Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2007
Messages
3,469
Reaction score
61
It's alright:) you can use mem86 to check if the ram has any errors, best is bring back both component to the shop in case either one of them is faulty so you don't have to waste another trip.
 
Last edited:

xtreme84

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2009
Messages
1,782
Reaction score
4
That's really a great suggestion. I actually Googled and decided to try Memtest86 before I saw your post. I'm already running it, will have to wait for the test to finish before I can conclude if it's really the board.
 

xtreme84

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2009
Messages
1,782
Reaction score
4
My two sticks of RAM are perfectly fine, they passed the test. So the only possibility left is the board. I was just thinking, my system passes the IntelBurnTest if i run it on standard settings. It fails if I run it on maximum settings. Does this mean my system is stable or not?

As for my iTunes, I've managed to get my stuff back more or less, except for my apps which I'm afraid to sync as I'm worried my app data on the phone will be overwritten with empty apps i.e. I will lose my game progress, etc.
 

xtreme84

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2009
Messages
1,782
Reaction score
4
I'm gonna bring my board back, it's only been 3 days, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll let me upgrade to a different board. The RAMs and GPU pass all the tests I've thrown at them, so it can only be the board. I think I'll have to get more thermal paste too.
 

xtreme84

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2009
Messages
1,782
Reaction score
4
Good news about iTunes though, my app data are intact. Just that I had to redo the layout of my apps on my iPhone. And I really hope TradePac allows me to change the board. I know they aren't exactly the most recommended retailers in SLS. Sigh...
 

ksrokiller

Master Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2007
Messages
3,469
Reaction score
61
get the board changed asap, advance test takes longer so it can scan in depth motherboard for errors, get exchanged for different board will be the best option.
 

xtreme84

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2009
Messages
1,782
Reaction score
4
Yup, that's what I'm thinking too. I'm heading to Sim Lim now. I'm just worried they don't agree to exchange for me. Fingers crossed.
 

xtreme84

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2009
Messages
1,782
Reaction score
4
The only reason I bought it from them despite the bad reviews of the store was cos nobody else had that board. Cybermind had it in their pricelist, but said it was out of stock. I was prepared to buy from them even though Tradepac was cheaper.
 

xtreme84

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2009
Messages
1,782
Reaction score
4
Good news! I got my board upgraded! While the service I got wasn't anything to rave about, just getting my board upgraded is enough for me. The staff were edgy and made me wait a bit. The same guy who sold me the board even had the cheek to say it wasn't compatible with my chip when I specifically asked at the point of purchase and he recommended me that board.

When I said I wanted to upgrade to a different board, he initially refused to let me take the Asus board I wanted. Instead, he tried to sell me a Gigabyte one which only used DDR2 RAM and maxed out at 4GB. I told him that would defeat the purpose of me buying a new board since my old board does the same. Now, I wasn't particular about the price at all, as long as the board worked. He kept insisting the Asus board wasn't compatible too.

But I did my homework before i went down and I knew it was. Eventually, I told him to just let me have the Asus board and if it didn't work out, I'd go back to the distro and not him. That was when he agreed. He looked like he was the boss there, or the most senior staff at least. Anyway, I think it was good enough that they let me upgrade my board, so no complaints there.
 
Last edited:

xtreme84

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2009
Messages
1,782
Reaction score
4
Ok, I just realized I posted a wall of text, I'm so sorry. iPhone isn't the best device to be posting from.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top