[ADVISE] MATX cases (smaller the better)

Calvin.Lee

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2007
Messages
1,948
Reaction score
0
Hi,

Due to space constraints, I have to downgrade my ATX case (PHANTEKS ENTHOO PRO) to a MATX case.

In order to move all my existing parts to the new MATX case, the case must be able to have room for;

1 X CORSAIR H100 CPU cooler
(Prefer top mount on case)

1 X ASUS Z97 MAXIMUS GENE

1 X GIGABYTE GTX 560Ti (448 cores)

2 X 2.5" SSDs

4 X 4TB 3.5" HDDs

As I only have cater budget of $150 for MATX case, so other alternatives such as moving storage to a NAS is not an option for now.

I have taken a baseline from the follow cases as guide for my decision to buy;

Fractal Design Arc Mini r2

Fractal Design Core 1500

Is there any other alternatives other than these two or a smaller footprint?

Thank you for your advise in advance.

Calvin
 

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
34,287
Reaction score
420
Core 1500 isnt that great. Bought for a fren and it was hard to fix in. Rather get arc mini/midi. Slightly bigger and roomier + slightly more ex.
 

Calvin.Lee

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2007
Messages
1,948
Reaction score
0

Calvin.Lee

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2007
Messages
1,948
Reaction score
0
Yup, the Arc Mini r2 is my choice at this moment but I would like to explore the idea of "old school desktop type case instead of tower as my length of the desk are very limited.

If I get a tower, most likely will place it behind my monitor keyboard and mouse. If I get a old school desktop type, I got option to place the monitor on top of the case to save space.

Core 1500 isnt that great. Bought for a fren and it was hard to fix in. Rather get arc mini/midi. Slightly bigger and roomier + slightly more ex.
 

Calvin.Lee

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2007
Messages
1,948
Reaction score
0
I also cannot place the mid-tower case down to lay on a horizontal position because I will have no place to put my keyboard, mouse and speakers. That is how small space I have to work with..

I am not sure if I can place the MATX tower case to horizontal position unless it is much shorter that the mid-tower case (perhaps by as much as 30cm shorter in height than mid-tower) to place my keyboard, mouse and speaker....
 

Koenig168

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2007
Messages
10,068
Reaction score
1,763
You can consider putting the rig on the floor, under-the-table keyboard drawer, monitor mount etc. Just use your imagination. It is possible to have everything off the table since you are short of space.
 

singupingu

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2016
Messages
6,939
Reaction score
3

poooooo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
May 17, 2012
Messages
12,905
Reaction score
3,390
Just put it on the floor... There is no compact cases that can hold 4hdd.
In the end its will still be a mid tower which is usually 450mm x 450mm ish kinda dimension that can fit all your parts in.

edit:
the smallest i can recall is corsair 240 air matx. if you willing to lose one hdd or just velcro
it to the bottom on the back compartment. total 3 ssd cage and 3 hdd cage.

should be able to mount rad at the front and install full size psu.
http://www.corsair.com/en/carbide-series-air-240-high-airflow-micro-atx-and-mini-itx-pc-case
 
Last edited:

Atb

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
1,903
Reaction score
50
Silverstone ft03 if you can still find. Holds 4 HDD easily and super compact.
 

Calvin.Lee

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2007
Messages
1,948
Reaction score
0
I understand.

Thank you for the suggestions.

When I mean I am short of space on the table, I really mean short of space.

My apologies as I was not so for-coming in my situation.

My house and my room is full of "rubbish" pile up everywhere as both my parents-in-laws are hoarders (meaning they collect things big or small and keep them in the house around the neighbourhood).

So I can only have a very small table top to work with to put my own things.

And for the record, my wife and I own the house but we cannot do a **** about it, so let say I "ONLY HAVE A 80cm X 100cm" table top surface to work with to house a computer (with 4 hard drives, a graphics card, a 240mm CPU liquid cooler), a 20" LCD monitor, a mouse and a full length mechanical keyboard.

You can consider putting the rig on the floor, under-the-table keyboard drawer, monitor mount etc. Just use your imagination. It is possible to have everything off the table since you are short of space.
 

Calvin.Lee

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2007
Messages
1,948
Reaction score
0
Ok, will check that out too to see if it will fit. I hope it is not as huge as it brother the 540...

Thank you for your valuable advise.

Just put it on the floor... There is no compact cases that can hold 4hdd.
In the end its will still be a mid tower which is usually 450mm x 450mm ish kinda dimension that can fit all your parts in.

edit:
the smallest i can recall is corsair 240 air matx. if you willing to lose one hdd or just velcro
it to the bottom on the back compartment. total 3 ssd cage and 3 hdd cage.

should be able to mount rad at the front and install full size psu.
http://www.corsair.com/en/carbide-series-air-240-high-airflow-micro-atx-and-mini-itx-pc-case
 

Koenig168

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2007
Messages
10,068
Reaction score
1,763
I understand.

Thank you for the suggestions.

When I mean I am short of space on the table, I really mean short of space.

My apologies as I was not so for-coming in my situation.

My house and my room is full of "rubbish" pile up everywhere as both my parents-in-laws are hoarders (meaning they collect things big or small and keep them in the house around the neighbourhood).

So I can only have a very small table top to work with to put my own things.

And for the record, my wife and I own the house but we cannot do a **** about it, so let say I "ONLY HAVE A 80cm X 100cm" table top surface to work with to house a computer (with 4 hard drives, a graphics card, a 240mm CPU liquid cooler), a 20" LCD monitor, a mouse and a full length mechanical keyboard.



I get you.

My room was full of my wife's stuff at one point. Half of my wardrobe was full of dresses and her computer was sitting on my Sitoca workstation. My own rig was on my study desk. Until I decided enough is enough and dumped all her stuff in her room. :s13: Now I have space aplenty. :)

In your case, you can fix a keyboard drawer under the table and put the keyboard and mouse there. Wall mount the monitor so you can store it away against the wall when not in use. You can put the computer on the floor. This should free up your table in case you need to write stuff etc.
 

LLCSG12

Member
Joined
May 31, 2012
Messages
196
Reaction score
0
U need a counsellor not a case

I sucks at such matters

Maybe other bro or sis could help
 

singupingu

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2016
Messages
6,939
Reaction score
3
Ok, I will take a look at it if it fits.

Thank you for your valuable advise.


After looking through thoroughly at a few fractal design cases, find the arc mini 2 is actually a better choice than the define mini c. But your radiator will still be mounted at top.

The define mini c is still pretty legit, 2 hdd at cradle and one more at the bottom of the case. If you don't mind, your last hdd can put on top of the psu shroud at the front of the case.

Sent from Overpowered Phone Mark III using GAGT
 

Calvin.Lee

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2007
Messages
1,948
Reaction score
0
Thank you again.

I only have budget to replace the Mid tower Phanteks Enthoo Pro for a MATX case.

As for all suggestions of mounting monitor (not possible as desk faces window), put case on floor (not possible as the hoarders will fight with me to throw away or move away their things, police has been called before several times already) and installing keyboard drawer (not possible as there are too many things under the desk that I cannot even place my feet comfortably)

So to make things easy for me, I have to scale down the size of my component to make space..

I get you.

My room was full of my wife's stuff at one point. Half of my wardrobe was full of dresses and her computer was sitting on my Sitoca workstation. My own rig was on my study desk. Until I decided enough is enough and dumped all her stuff in her room. :s13: Now I have space aplenty. :)

In your case, you can fix a keyboard drawer under the table and put the keyboard and mouse there. Wall mount the monitor so you can store it away against the wall when not in use. You can put the computer on the floor. This should free up your table in case you need to write stuff etc.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top