Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimsim

Suspended
Reaction score
My aircon recently not cooling anymore suddenly. I don't know why.
I only turn on the aircon in the master bedroom. I occasionally on the aircon in my study room. My aircon setting is at 25degree.

Last week, i found that there is a musky smell when i turn on the aircon, and found the aircon is not as cooling as before. but in the morning after i wake up, the air feels cooler, though not as cold as last time.

I try all the other rooms (I have system 3 split mitsubishi electric starmex), and found all the other rooms aircon also not cold as before.

I go to see the outdoor compressor, it seems to turn on and then turn off after a while, then turn on again.

Does anyone has similar encounter before?

Is it gas leak? or compressor spoilt?

Any recommendation for repair contact?

Should check the gas pressure or either leakage already.

uniquely_ad

Reaction score
Hey guys, i recently installed a 4system mitsubishi starmex MXY-4A28VA / 4 X MSY-GE10VA

i on all 4 but my whole room dont feel cold, only until u are right under the air con den u can feel the coldness but the part of the room dont feel cold

i know if i on all 4 only 6.5k+ ea btu can cool the room..but how long would it take?

ive on for almost 1hr + at temp 23c fan speed max

kimsim

Suspended
Reaction score
Hey guys, i recently installed a 4system mitsubishi starmex MXY-4A28VA / 4 X MSY-GE10VA

i on all 4 but my whole room dont feel cold, only until u are right under the air con den u can feel the coldness but the part of the room dont feel cold

i know if i on all 4 only 6.5k+ ea btu can cool the room..but how long would it take?

ive on for almost 1hr + at temp 23c fan speed max

Please check the gas pressure at around 180 or max pressure on inverter will help much on compressor run less lost energy.

You should turn to low fan speed on 1 stop after the quiet mode, also set to 25C if won't get cool the room already taken 2 hrs, that meant get not enough.

But make sure you try on 3 units 1st.
Cause turn on 4 units meant the btu really as low to be slower temp. pre-set reaching timing than turn on 3 units at same time.

Again fan speed set to maximum the only feel windy and not cold at all.. The right setting would be slower fan speed and set to right temp. from 24C to 26C in between your room size.

maxicoolservices

Suspended
Reaction score
Hello item2sell,

Based on description, it is likely the blower/coil of your master bedroom aircon is mouldy hence the musky odor.

If all indoor units are not as cool as before, it could be due to a gas shortage or simply because the indoor units need a cleaning.

The outdoor condenser turning itself on and off does seem to be rather peculiar for inverter system. It would be good to have the unit checked as the condenser is an important part of the airconditioning system.

I would suggest that if you had not serviced your units for the past 6 months to have your contractor do a servicing. The servicing might be able to resolve the musky odor and at the same time your contractor can do a check on the condenser and address the on/off issue.

Best Regards,

Jason Tham

My aircon recently not cooling anymore suddenly. I don't know why.
I only turn on the aircon in the master bedroom. I occasionally on the aircon in my study room. My aircon setting is at 25degree.

Last week, i found that there is a musky smell when i turn on the aircon, and found the aircon is not as cooling as before. but in the morning after i wake up, the air feels cooler, though not as cold as last time.

I try all the other rooms (I have system 3 split mitsubishi electric starmex), and found all the other rooms aircon also not cold as before.

I go to see the outdoor compressor, it seems to turn on and then turn off after a while, then turn on again.

Does anyone has similar encounter before?

Is it gas leak? or compressor spoilt?

Any recommendation for repair contact?

abcdtan

Reaction score
Aircon for HDB Maisonette

Hi, I would like to ask on the following for EM resale flat:

Requirements:
1. Aircon for living room
2. Aircon for 3 bed rooms upstairs (typically not all will be on at the same time).

Can you all pls advise on the aircon brand and types which I should go for? Should I go for a System 3 + 1? or should I go for system 2 + 2? or just go for System 4?

Thanks a lot!

kimsim

Suspended
Reaction score
Hi, I would like to ask on the following for EM resale flat:

Requirements:
1. Aircon for living room
2. Aircon for 3 bed rooms upstairs (typically not all will be on at the same time).

Can you all pls advise on the aircon brand and types which I should go for? Should I go for a System 3 + 1? or should I go for system 2 + 2? or just go for System 4?

Thanks a lot!

Hi, sys 4 still not sufficient at all.
Otherwise go with 2 condenser.

Upper floor with system 3 , 10x2 + 13k master bedroom
Downstay living room with single split 24k or system 3 3A28VA ME Starmex with 13k & 18k split out on dinner & living area.

Just depend how often you usage per day on downstay

Petslave

Reaction score
Anyone could recommend a aircon that is good enough for a small room.

No exisiting air-con have been fixed before.

budget well around 1k.

abcdtan

Reaction score
Hi, sys 4 still not sufficient at all.
Otherwise go with 2 condenser.

Upper floor with system 3 , 10x2 + 13k master bedroom
Downstay living room with single split 24k or system 3 3A28VA ME Starmex with 13k & 18k split out on dinner & living area.

Just depend how often you usage per day on downstay

Kimsim, thanks for your reply.
So you are saying I would have to put 2 separate condensers? System 3 for upstairs and system 1 24k for downstairs? A system 4 wouldn't work at all for 2 levels?

Buzztiger

Reaction score
I was searching for how much BTU/hr I will need for my rooms. I came across mostly websites from USA that gives charts for recommended BTU/hr for aircons. Can these values be followed for singapore weather ?

kimsim

Suspended
Reaction score
Kimsim, thanks for your reply.
So you are saying I would have to put 2 separate condensers? System 3 for upstairs and system 1 24k for downstairs? A system 4 wouldn't work at all for 2 levels?

System 4 not sufficient for turns on 4 units at same time.
If concern for Sys 4 the only way go with ME starmex 4A38VA and turn on full & without current limitation will do.

infedal

Reaction score
Hi Bros,

Just wan to seek your advices / opinion:

Just last week JUN 2015, I have had Daikin's Inverter System 3 (R-410A 3MKS50ESG + 3X FTKS25DVM) installed in my home.

It is a total revamp (meaning: complete change of old trunking, PVC and copper pipe to G23 with 3/8" insulation).

I have been using it and find that

1) It is not really that cold, meaning the temp is set to 22deg, but 8 hours later in the morning, the temp reader on my room thermometer (from Home-Fix) reads 24.6deg.
view

& I am not sure if the AC will be able to reach the set temp of 22deg?

2) It takes quite long for the temp to drop (in my case, it take 1 hour to go from 28 to 25deg and then after that it seem to take like ages to try and reach the 22deg mark)

I do not know if this normal for an inverter AC. Previously, have been using daikin's non-inverter FT25GV1 but it had to be replaced after 15 good years.

Oh man, can't say that I am impressed with the current AC. With the previous AC, I need blanket and enjoy the shiok shiok coldness. Right now, I don't really feel the chill.

Do any of you guys encounter similar issues?
Thanks & sry for the long rant!

kimsim

Suspended
Reaction score
Hi Bros,

Just wan to seek your advices / opinion:

Just last week JUN 2015, I have had Daikin's Inverter System 3 (R-410A 3MKS50ESG + 3X FTKS25DVM) installed in my home.

It is a total revamp (meaning: complete change of old trunking, PVC and copper pipe to G23 with 3/8" insulation).

I have been using it and find that

1) It is not really that cold, meaning the temp is set to 22deg, but 8 hours later in the morning, the temp reader on my room thermometer (from Home-Fix) reads 24.6deg.
view

& I am not sure if the AC will be able to reach the set temp of 22deg?

2) It takes quite long for the temp to drop (in my case, it take 1 hour to go from 28 to 25deg and then after that it seem to take like ages to try and reach the 22deg mark)

I do not know if this normal for an inverter AC. Previously, have been using daikin's non-inverter FT25GV1 but it had to be replaced after 15 good years.

Oh man, can't say that I am impressed with the current AC. With the previous AC, I need blanket and enjoy the shiok shiok coldness. Right now, I don't really feel the chill.

Do any of you guys encounter similar issues?
Thanks & sry for the long rant!

In the 1st place of 3MKS50ESG should be the wrong place to go for 3 bedroom, if the room size is over 3x4m wide will be taken longer time to cooling down.

Actually the S50ESG is = 17k BTU for 3 rooms if turn on at same time would be works as suffer.
From 17k btu / 3 rooms the btu is lesser than 6k then the cooling performance will take longer and draw more power energy than 3MKS75ESG outdoor model.

Anyway try to top up gas to maximum at least 180 high pressure, to help up cooling peak performance only.

darknite84

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi Bros,

I am looking to get a new aircon to replace my existing non-inverter aircon.

3x Room : 4.1M(length) x 2.9M(width) x 2.6M(ceiling)
Usage : 9 hours daily, 3 rooms on simultaneously

The specs in bold is my ideal spec, but i think most low cost installers are using the lower specs.

Model : MXY-3A28VA
Fan coil : 3x MSY-GE10VA
Piping : 22 (or 23) SWG Copper
Insulation : 1/2" (or 3/8") ARMAFLEX Insulation (either class 1 or 0)
drainage : 20-25mm (16mm)
warranty : 5 years

Misc : Free dismantle of old aircon
Free installation of aircon
Rewiring : using at least 3C70(outdoor) 3C40 (indoor)
Proper pipe bender for corners for piping
BCA cert for bracket installer
vacuum pump after installation
max G22 copper pipe per FCU (have to find out whats the length)

Installation of stainless steel bracket : ideally below $150

I check the current limit on the compressor is 8.5A, do i need to install a 15A aircon power point? if i have a existing 15A powerpoint for my current aircon, would that be ok?

Looking at cost : $2880 + $150(bracket)

Any experts can advise if i have noted everything that is needed?

infedal

Reaction score
In the 1st place of 3MKS50ESG should be the wrong place to go for 3 bedroom, if the room size is over 3x4m wide will be taken longer time to cooling down.

Actually the S50ESG is = 17k BTU for 3 rooms if turn on at same time would be works as suffer.
From 17k btu / 3 rooms the btu is lesser than 6k then the cooling performance will take longer and draw more power energy than 3MKS75ESG outdoor model.

Anyway try to top up gas to maximum at least 180 high pressure, to help up cooling peak performance only.

@kimsim,

Thanks for the input. Yes my room size is actually in fact 3x4. However, most of the time, only 2 of the fancoil is active. Still....,air taking their own sweet time to cool down.

Noted and will get Daikin to check / top up gas!

wrongwroks

Reaction score
puzzled

hi experts here,

first time installing an air con in my house. wonder which one to install. thinking to install a system 3.

went to bigbox and the promoter suggested LG brand to me over mitsubishi. is LG air con good? the filter inside quality looks 'better' than the mitsubishi catechin filter .

kimsim

Suspended
Reaction score
@kimsim,

Thanks for the input. Yes my room size is actually in fact 3x4. However, most of the time, only 2 of the fancoil is active. Still....,air taking their own sweet time to cool down.

Noted and will get Daikin to check / top up gas!

Usually the installer won't top up for you before they leaved your house, unless you ask then they will simple check.

Inverter R410a gas pressure should have at least 170-180 pressure is shown on the meter for switch on all units at same time.

Otherwise gas is low and taken longer duration time for reaching pre-set temperature also to lower down from 25c to 23c is 30% more energy to compare set to 25C can feel that same result.

kimsim

Suspended
Reaction score
hi experts here,

first time installing an air con in my house. wonder which one to install. thinking to install a system 3.

went to bigbox and the promoter suggested LG brand to me over mitsubishi. is LG air con good? the filter inside quality looks 'better' than the mitsubishi catechin filter .

From many user after were used LG before, they will said LG not as good cause after age got more noisy here & there.

But not sure for premium mirror model.

chomechome

Reaction score
Want to check for those big name like GC will they do site survey before commit? Saw today newspaper come with 5 years warranty but not sure whether it is for spare part or workmanship?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.