Air purifier? - Part 2

liquidlight

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
3,837
Reaction score
438
xiaomi air purifier 3H - Ozone?

i am looking to buy the 3H. saw review by buyer that the xiaomi purifier emit ozone as an ionizer but cant find any specs on their website to support or dispute this on the xiaomi specs.

does anyone knows?
 

mikeeeey

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2002
Messages
16,053
Reaction score
854
i am looking to buy the 3H. saw review by buyer that the xiaomi purifier emit ozone as an ionizer but cant find any specs on their website to support or dispute this on the xiaomi specs.

does anyone knows?

I seriously doubt so.

They don't even market it as having "ioniser" features
 

Lucky177

Master Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2002
Messages
4,292
Reaction score
91
If u r looking for plasmacluster, then Sharp FP-J80E room size coverage is 62m2. I think probably there’s a few other models of same coverage too. But u probably would need two at each end if intend to cover the entire 100m2. Not cheap tho. Expensive.

That IZ-C90ME plasmacluster ion generating unit inside it got lifespan, not permanent. When it reaches 0%, u got to replace, just like the HEPA filter, deordorizing filter... How long it last, and how much I dunno.

For purifier that comes with “ioniser”, I also tend to prefer sharp plasmacluster more. Personal preference only.

If just looking to reduce PM2.5, ionising feature is not a must have thing. I would rather go for more “valuable/affordable” purifiers, especially for long run.
 
Last edited:

herz22

Junior Member
Joined
May 28, 2014
Messages
57
Reaction score
3
If u r looking for plasmacluster, then Sharp FP-J80E room size coverage is 62m2. I think probably there’s a few other models of same coverage too. But u probably would need two at each end if intend to cover the entire 100m2. Not cheap tho. Expensive.

That IZ-C90ME plasmacluster ion generating unit inside it got lifespan, not permanent. When it reaches 0%, u got to replace, just like the HEPA filter, deordorizing filter... How long it last, and how much I dunno.

For purifier that comes with “ioniser”, I also tend to prefer sharp plasmacluster more. Personal preference only.

If just looking to reduce PM2.5, ionising feature is not a must have thing. I would rather go for more “valuable/affordable” purifiers, especially for long run.

I agree with you but the main components of a purifier are just the motor and the HEPA filters. Some brands will promote 99.97 filtrations but when comes to replacement, which is a deterrent because of the higher price. If you intend to use it at home and do not expect many guests, then those like Sqair is sufficient. Their HEPA filters are $29 and last 6 to 12 months.

The electronics in the purifiers do not last longer than the motor. So some would throw out the machine because the electronics are “dead”. Those with auto modes do not clean the air efficiently and may lower the speed to a quieter level after 3 hours like Xiaomi.
 
Last edited:

Lucky177

Master Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2002
Messages
4,292
Reaction score
91
My current old XiaoMi Pro AP did not auto lower to speed of quieter level / auto after 3 hours...maybe full blast or maybe other Gen? dunno ... but at least not for mine running at manual mode settings, coverage 26-45m2 (from app) Is already above the middle setting. Didn’t try anything higher than that for more than 3 hours, wouldn’t want to, because will be noisy for me, also not necessary for my case.

Have been running every night, overnight, Didn’t trigger to auto mode.

I agree with you but the main components of a purifier are just the motor and the HEPA filters. Some brands will promote 99.97 filtrations but when comes to replacement, which is a deterrent because of the higher price. If you intend to use it at home and do not expect many guests, then those like Sqair is sufficient. Their HEPA filters are $29 and last 6 to 12 months.

The electronics in the purifiers do not last longer than the motor. So some would throw out the machine because the electronics are “dead”. Those with auto modes do not clean the air efficiently and may lower the speed to a quieter level after 3 hours like Xiaomi.
 
Last edited:

herz22

Junior Member
Joined
May 28, 2014
Messages
57
Reaction score
3
My current old XiaoMi Pro AP did not auto lower to speed of quieter level / auto after 3 hours...maybe full blast or maybe other Gen? dunno ... but at least not for mine running at manual mode settings, coverage 26-45m2 (from app) Is already above the middle setting. Didn’t try anything higher than that for more than 3 hours, wouldn’t want to, because will be noisy for me, also not necessary for my case.

Have been running every night, overnight, Didn’t trigger to auto mode.

Currently have XM2 in office and the auto 3 hours high speed to Low speed is happening. Maybe will take the PM2.5 reading and share.
 

Lucky177

Master Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2002
Messages
4,292
Reaction score
91
All my Pro doesn’t. I have few sets at home. One at each room, including living hall. But I didn’t try max speed/ speed higher than I stated earlier. Maybe max speed will? I dunno. Didn’t test.

Previously I also got gen 1 & gen 2. Forgotten which one does auto trigger back (also can’t be sure if is designed that way or I got lemon set) ... but iirc, was on full blast mode that I tried - think during haze period. Too long ago, can’t remember exactly. But that was too noisy also, I wouldn’t want to run at that speed, at least not for long.

So I assume not all xiaomi AP models will trigger back to auto if set at certain manual fan speed. I could be wrong. I don’t have the newer models, so I dunno.

I don’t have SQair. So I can’t compare or comment. Last time, I used to have other brands ... long ago, before I switched.

XiaoMi AP got own cons as well, especially the buggy app. Cannot detect? Offline? Hahaha. Those using will know what I mean. Best/Safest is once u setup Swee Swee liao ... don’t go update to newer app version. :s13:

Currently have XM2 in office and the auto 3 hours high speed to Low speed is happening. Maybe will take the PM2.5 reading and share.
 
Last edited:

herz22

Junior Member
Joined
May 28, 2014
Messages
57
Reaction score
3
All my Pro doesn’t. I have few sets at home. One at each room, including living hall. But I didn’t try max speed/ speed higher than I stated earlier. Maybe max speed will? I dunno. Didn’t test.

Previously I also got gen 1 & gen 2. Forgotten which one does auto trigger back (also can’t be sure if is designed that way or I got lemon set) ... but iirc, was on full blast mode that I tried - think during haze period. Too long ago, can’t remember exactly. But that was too noisy also, I wouldn’t want to run at that speed, at least not for long.

So I assume not all xiaomi AP models will trigger back to auto if set at certain manual fan speed. I could be wrong. I don’t have the newer models, so I dunno.

I don’t have SQair. So I can’t compare or comment. Last time, I used to have other brands ... long ago, before I switched.

XiaoMi AP got own cons as well, especially the buggy app. Cannot detect? Offline? Hahaha. Those using will know what I mean. Best/Safest is once u setup Swee Swee liao ... don’t go update to newer app version. :s13:

Found this on Smartair page. They have plenty of write-ups and research data from their in-house researchers. Heard too that our NUS interns are doing their stint with Smartair when Singapore local seller shared with me. Even the Singaporean engineer who is part of the Sqair team is partnering with the local distributor.

smartairfilters.com/en/blog/data-explains-never-use-purifiers-auto-mode
 

herz22

Junior Member
Joined
May 28, 2014
Messages
57
Reaction score
3
If u r looking for plasmacluster, then Sharp FP-J80E room size coverage is 62m2. I think probably there’s a few other models of same coverage too. But u probably would need two at each end if intend to cover the entire 100m2. Not cheap tho. Expensive.

That IZ-C90ME plasmacluster ion generating unit inside it got lifespan, not permanent. When it reaches 0%, u got to replace, just like the HEPA filter, deordorizing filter... How long it last, and how much I dunno.

For purifier that comes with “ioniser”, I also tend to prefer sharp plasmacluster more. Personal preference only.

If just looking to reduce PM2.5, ionising feature is not a must have thing. I would rather go for more “valuable/affordable” purifiers, especially for long run.
Here is another link from Smartair with their research about ioniser.

Cannot add the URL properly because posts "not high enough".

smartairfilters.com/en/blog/ionizers-can-increase-pollution-particles-formaldehyde
 

FatalethaL

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2008
Messages
6,560
Reaction score
346
Just received the Sqair. I am beginning to like how it looks. I will report back the performance at a later date.


1wPP34k.jpg


wOqAPUi.jpg
 
Last edited:

FatalethaL

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2008
Messages
6,560
Reaction score
346
I can imagine the Xiaomi to look and fit into a minimalist black/white decor.

However, the Sqair has more of a natural touch to blend into its surroundings thanks to the wooden legs.

Anyway I have been running the Sqair at speed 1, with the activated carbon filter and Hepa. I found there is already a positive difference in the smell and air in my room.
 

wilflare

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2002
Messages
9,903
Reaction score
25
I can imagine the Xiaomi to look and fit into a minimalist black/white decor.

However, the Sqair has more of a natural touch to blend into its surroundings thanks to the wooden legs.

Anyway I have been running the Sqair at speed 1, with the activated carbon filter and Hepa. I found there is already a positive difference in the smell and air in my room.

do you find Speed 2 and Speed 3 noticeably louder?
 

FatalethaL

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2008
Messages
6,560
Reaction score
346
do you find Speed 2 and Speed 3 noticeably louder?

Yes, I do. These things (including xiaomi and other air purifiers I have encountered) do not run almost silent when running at medium or high speeds.


If they happen to run quite quietly at those speeds, i would be worried and wonder if they are doing meaningful air-purifying work OR helping me to waste more electricity. :s13:
 

herz22

Junior Member
Joined
May 28, 2014
Messages
57
Reaction score
3
The other day, went to my friend's place to measure the air quality and the difference is astounding. On the purifier, it reads 17 for pm2.5 and a stand-alone air reader displays 3 for pm2.5. (cannot image coz rank too low).

Should we trust what is on the machine's readout? More so leaving it on auto mode.
 

FatalethaL

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2008
Messages
6,560
Reaction score
346
Reporting back on the Xiaomi 3H vs Sqair (I'll keep things short and sweet.):

My room dimensions are approx 3.5m by 5m.

Testing the fastest fan speed setting of the air purifiers, Sqair is indeed extremely efficient, effective, and quick to remove stench, perfume, strange smells, and farts in my room. Despite Xiaomi producing much more air output, it took qualitatively longer to remove those smell. The qualitative difference is approximately 15-20 minutes.

When switched to the lowest fan speed setting and running overnight, both seem (and smells) to be doing a good job by the time the sun rises. However before sleep, I usually run them 2 hours before my head hits the pillow. The Sqair edges out with better air quality before the Xiaomi.

In terms of noise level at the lowest fan speed, to my ears, the Sqair produces a deeper sounding hum similar to an aircon at low speed. Whereas Xiaomi produces a soft yet gentle wheezing (high frequency) sound. If you ask me which I would use, hands down the Sqair's hum is far less intrusive to the ears and helped me sleep better. Please take my opinion with a pinch of salt here. The sound and noise level is subjective. The distance between my head and the air purifiers are approximately 3.8m.


Closing thoughts - Air purifier isn't about comparing "which one has more features", "which can have the highest fan speed" or "which filter is more robust or tokkong". I think one should think about the relationship between a fan and a filter first before deriving an efficient air purifying performance. Just imagine pouring water into a paper filter. You cannot force water to flow out faster if the paper filter only has a fixed filtering and flow rate. I think Sqair might have nailed it.


TLDR:
Sheer air purifying performance, go with Sqair. Want smart features yet decent performance? Xiaomi 3H is your go-to.


Disclaimer:
I am just a regular commoner and have no financial interest in any air purifier manufacturers.
 
Last edited:

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2003
Messages
71,239
Reaction score
853
What is the actual diff between XM 3H and Pro? I saw in the shop today Pro going for 299 and 3H for 399. Almost similar in features..

Sqair looks interesting..
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top