Alaska Cruise Recommendations

dilphinus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Am planning for an Alaska cruise next year or the year after.

I am just beginning to re-start my research.

I'll be going with my mum. She's in her late 60s.

I'm good with starting the cruise either from Seattle or Vancouver.

Please recommend the cruises you have taken before or you would think is suitable for us.

Thank you!

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
is cost a concern?
I was looking at it for a 60s parents. didn't make it happen due to covid and the passing of one. there are pros and cons, I am looking at 1 way and spend time in the park. for convenience more like round trip.

dilphinus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
is cost a concern?
I was looking at it for a 60s parents. didn't make it happen due to covid and the passing of one. there are pros and cons, I am looking at 1 way and spend time in the park. for convenience more like round trip.

Cost is not really a concern. Have not looked at costs and budget yet. Am thinking of around S$10k for each person, excluding flights from SG to North America (return).

We can fly in/out from Anchorage too.

Am also thinking of a cruise from North America back to Asia.

Last edited:

belgarathc

Reaction score
Instead of a cruise, we went with Alaskan State Ferry for part of the Alaskan trip after our research as we thought a cruise may be a bit boring and will take too many days. But maybe it is suitable for an elderly. We only did the usual popular spots - no midnight sun, no northern lights. We took the 3 day (i think) ferry from Bellingham (came down from Vancouver) to Juneau with a stop at Ketchikan. Spent a few nights at Juneau before flying to Anchorage. There we rented a car and drove up to Denali, Fairbanks and around before flying to Seattle. If we had more time, we will likely take the state ferry and explore a few more places, maybe even a flight to Barrow.

Dr.Vijay

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I tried Celebrity cruise for this once-in-a-lifetime trip in 2019 aboard the freshly refurbished Celebrity Millennium.

Enjoyed my trip. :)

hfngshnll

Reaction score
many years back on radiance of the seas/vancouver/juneau/skagway/hubbard glacier/ketchikan/vancouver during summer. very nice experience.

when in vancouver, you can also try the ferry from vancouver downtown to vancouver island/victoria. these huge ferry ships are basically mini cruise ships. beautiful victorian era architecture there.

some years back, also went norwegian coastal port hopping above the arctic circle, on hurtigruten ships, from tromso all the way up to the russian border during winter. the coastal ferries are like cruise ships. great experience.

in all cases, there were alot of their local old folks, some on wheel chairs. very senior friendly.

Oftheseas

Reaction score
Am planning for an Alaska cruise next year or the year after.

I am just beginning to re-start my research.

I'll be going with my mum. She's in her late 60s.

I'm good with starting the cruise either from Seattle or Vancouver.

Please recommend the cruises you have taken before or you would think is suitable for us.

Thank you!
Still planning for your Alaska cruise next year?

Might be a great opportunity now that SQ flies direct to Vancouver and hope they continue this route till next summer. If possible, start cruise from Vancouver instead of Seattle. Seattle sailings caters most to the Americans while Vancouver have more international passengers. It is also a more interesting city to explore pre/post cruise.

Hisashiburi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Went on Celebrity cruise from Seattle years ago.
I would suggest leaving from Vancouver instead of Seattle if u are flying in from Asia.

I suggest going around June 21st (summer solstice) for max daylight.
1am and it is still quite bright out!

Not sure of the cruise lines that depart now but try to choose a newer ship.
Also spend a little more to get a balcony room as the scenery is very good.
Can often see Orca whales!
Make sure your room has unobstructed view though.
There are cruise line reviews for the various ships n rooms.

Sometimes if u book last min, u can get a really good deal but cost isn't your concern it seems.

Spend a few days before or after cruise to go to nearby Whistler mountain and Victoria city on Vancouver Island.

The cruises that end in Seattle make a one night stop at Victoria before ending at Seattle.
But Vancouver city is much nicer n safer than Seattle.

dilphinus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Still planning for your Alaska cruise next year?

Might be a great opportunity now that SQ flies direct to Vancouver and hope they continue this route till next summer. If possible, start cruise from Vancouver instead of Seattle. Seattle sailings caters most to the Americans while Vancouver have more international passengers. It is also a more interesting city to explore pre/post cruise.
Yeah, still planning to go but planning on hold cos now planning for upcoming trip in 2 weeks time and another trip in April.

Will be taking JL, so doesn't matter if SQ is flying to Vancouver or not. Thanks though.

Last edited:

dilphinus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Went on Celebrity cruise from Seattle years ago.
I would suggest leaving from Vancouver instead of Seattle if u are flying in from Asia.

I suggest going around June 21st (summer solstice) for max daylight.
1am and it is still quite bright out!

Not sure of the cruise lines that depart now but try to choose a newer ship.
Also spend a little more to get a balcony room as the scenery is very good.
Can often see Orca whales!
Make sure your room has unobstructed view though.
There are cruise line reviews for the various ships n rooms.

Sometimes if u book last min, u can get a really good deal but cost isn't your concern it seems.

Spend a few days before or after cruise to go to nearby Whistler mountain and Victoria city on Vancouver Island.

The cruises that end in Seattle make a one night stop at Victoria before ending at Seattle.
But Vancouver city is much nicer n safer than Seattle.
LOL. Cos my mum has offered to pay for the cruise! :ROFLMAO:

I did some research initially. Was also looking at sailing from Japan.

We are planning a trip to South Korea and Japan in April (I've bought the flights!) but might reschedule to autumn. Well, will see how things go. Thanks!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.