Alaska Cruise Recommendations

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Am planning for an Alaska cruise next year or the year after.

I am just beginning to re-start my research.

I'll be going with my mum. She's in her late 60s.

I'm good with starting the cruise either from Seattle or Vancouver.

Please recommend the cruises you have taken before or you would think is suitable for us.

Thank you!

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
is cost a concern?
I was looking at it for a 60s parents. didn't make it happen due to covid and the passing of one. there are pros and cons, I am looking at 1 way and spend time in the park. for convenience more like round trip.

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
is cost a concern?
I was looking at it for a 60s parents. didn't make it happen due to covid and the passing of one. there are pros and cons, I am looking at 1 way and spend time in the park. for convenience more like round trip.

Cost is not really a concern. Have not looked at costs and budget yet. Am thinking of around S$10k for each person, excluding flights from SG to North America (return).

We can fly in/out from Anchorage too.

Am also thinking of a cruise from North America back to Asia.

Last edited:

belgarathc

Reaction score
Instead of a cruise, we went with Alaskan State Ferry for part of the Alaskan trip after our research as we thought a cruise may be a bit boring and will take too many days. But maybe it is suitable for an elderly. We only did the usual popular spots - no midnight sun, no northern lights. We took the 3 day (i think) ferry from Bellingham (came down from Vancouver) to Juneau with a stop at Ketchikan. Spent a few nights at Juneau before flying to Anchorage. There we rented a car and drove up to Denali, Fairbanks and around before flying to Seattle. If we had more time, we will likely take the state ferry and explore a few more places, maybe even a flight to Barrow.

hfngshnll

Reaction score
many years back on radiance of the seas/vancouver/juneau/skagway/hubbard glacier/ketchikan/vancouver during summer. very nice experience.

when in vancouver, you can also try the ferry from vancouver downtown to vancouver island/victoria. these huge ferry ships are basically mini cruise ships. beautiful victorian era architecture there.

some years back, also went norwegian coastal port hopping above the arctic circle, on hurtigruten ships, from tromso all the way up to the russian border during winter. the coastal ferries are like cruise ships. great experience.

in all cases, there were alot of their local old folks, some on wheel chairs. very senior friendly.

Oftheseas

Reaction score
Am planning for an Alaska cruise next year or the year after.

I am just beginning to re-start my research.

I'll be going with my mum. She's in her late 60s.

I'm good with starting the cruise either from Seattle or Vancouver.

Please recommend the cruises you have taken before or you would think is suitable for us.

Thank you!
Still planning for your Alaska cruise next year?

Might be a great opportunity now that SQ flies direct to Vancouver and hope they continue this route till next summer. If possible, start cruise from Vancouver instead of Seattle. Seattle sailings caters most to the Americans while Vancouver have more international passengers. It is also a more interesting city to explore pre/post cruise.

Hisashiburi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Went on Celebrity cruise from Seattle years ago.
I would suggest leaving from Vancouver instead of Seattle if u are flying in from Asia.

I suggest going around June 21st (summer solstice) for max daylight.
1am and it is still quite bright out!

Not sure of the cruise lines that depart now but try to choose a newer ship.
Also spend a little more to get a balcony room as the scenery is very good.
Can often see Orca whales!
Make sure your room has unobstructed view though.
There are cruise line reviews for the various ships n rooms.

Sometimes if u book last min, u can get a really good deal but cost isn't your concern it seems.

Spend a few days before or after cruise to go to nearby Whistler mountain and Victoria city on Vancouver Island.

The cruises that end in Seattle make a one night stop at Victoria before ending at Seattle.
But Vancouver city is much nicer n safer than Seattle.

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Still planning for your Alaska cruise next year?

Might be a great opportunity now that SQ flies direct to Vancouver and hope they continue this route till next summer. If possible, start cruise from Vancouver instead of Seattle. Seattle sailings caters most to the Americans while Vancouver have more international passengers. It is also a more interesting city to explore pre/post cruise.
Yeah, still planning to go but planning on hold cos now planning for upcoming trip in 2 weeks time and another trip in April.

Will be taking JL, so doesn't matter if SQ is flying to Vancouver or not. Thanks though.

Last edited:

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Went on Celebrity cruise from Seattle years ago.
I would suggest leaving from Vancouver instead of Seattle if u are flying in from Asia.

I suggest going around June 21st (summer solstice) for max daylight.
1am and it is still quite bright out!

Not sure of the cruise lines that depart now but try to choose a newer ship.
Also spend a little more to get a balcony room as the scenery is very good.
Can often see Orca whales!
Make sure your room has unobstructed view though.
There are cruise line reviews for the various ships n rooms.

Sometimes if u book last min, u can get a really good deal but cost isn't your concern it seems.

Spend a few days before or after cruise to go to nearby Whistler mountain and Victoria city on Vancouver Island.

The cruises that end in Seattle make a one night stop at Victoria before ending at Seattle.
But Vancouver city is much nicer n safer than Seattle.
LOL. Cos my mum has offered to pay for the cruise! :ROFLMAO:

I did some research initially. Was also looking at sailing from Japan.

We are planning a trip to South Korea and Japan in April (I've bought the flights!) but might reschedule to autumn. Well, will see how things go. Thanks!

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bumping this thread up.

Am starting to do research again!

I'm now browsing the websites of the different cruise operators.

So many different packages! Planning to go in July and/or August. Is this a good season/timing?

Am now open to the option of sailing from San Francisco (as I have free lodging there :) )

Hisashiburi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bumping this thread up.

Am starting to do research again!

I'm now browsing the websites of the different cruise operators.

So many different packages! Planning to go in July and/or August. Is this a good season/timing?

Am now open to the option of sailing from San Francisco (as I have free lodging there :) )
Whats the package like from SF?
SF is a bit far from Alaska though

I would have recommended starting from Seattle but Seattle is a shithole nowadays

Anyway, i think starting from Vancouver is best.
Closest to Alaska and spend more time there.

Jul/Aug is good time to go.
Still summer w long long days, like sunlight at 11pm.

Be sure to get on a newer ship too.
I went on an older ship which wasnt so good.

Be prepared for lots of kids!

I think there is also a higher end smaller ship package.
Different from the regular big cruise ships.
Silver something cruises.

Also be sure to get a room w balcony as the views can be quite worth it.

Taurus66

Reaction score
Whats the package like from SF?
SF is a bit far from Alaska though

I would have recommended starting from Seattle but Seattle is a shithole nowadays

Anyway, i think starting from Vancouver is best.
Closest to Alaska and spend more time there.

Jul/Aug is good time to go.
Still summer w long long days, like sunlight at 11pm.

Be sure to get on a newer ship too.
I went on an older ship which wasnt so good.

Be prepared for lots of kids!

I think there is also a higher end smaller ship package.
Different from the regular big cruise ships.
Silver something cruises.

Also be sure to get a room w balcony as the views can be quite worth it.
I have booked with Royal Caribbean to disembark at Seattle. I intend to stay there for 2 nights. Why is Seattle a shithole now?

Hisashiburi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have booked with Royal Caribbean to disembark at Seattle. I intend to stay there for 2 nights. Why is Seattle a shithole now?
Downtown Seattle is now full of homeless n drug addicts.

Many businesses have closed too.

Very dangerous at night in downtown esp in Belltown n Pioneer sq areas.

There is a Starbucks Roastery n the original Starbucks shop at Pike place market u can visit.

Can spend one day visiting Pike place market n maybe the Experience n music museums at lower Queen Anne area.

Another day, can take ferry across to Bainbridge island.
Ferry ride is very nice.

If u drive, can take a day trip to either Mt Rainier, San Juan islands or Olympic Peninsula.
All are nice

Ryoin82

Reaction score
Wife and I are also looking at Alaska cruise. So thought to share some info we gathered thus far. (We intend to sail in Jun 2026. Cruises are cheaper the earlier you book)

To see glacier bay- you have to sail with NCL, Holland America (HAL) or princess as they are the only cruise lines that can sail into the bay. The smaller the cruise ship, the nearer they can get to the glacier.

Also Princess and HAL has better docking spaces, especially at Ketchikan, where they will dock in the town compared to NCL, which will dock elsewhere (around 5 miles away)- more on Ketchikan in later points.

Sailing through inside passage is calmer and more scenic but not all ships do that. Have to check itinerary.

Sailing through Vancouver= smaller and likely older ships unless you sail with HAL’s konigsdam class (new but mid-sized). The added benefit of sailing out of Vancouver is that you get more port time in Ketchikan (10-12 hours). This is because cruise ships sailing to American ports need to visit a non-US port (more details in the next point)

Sailing through Seattle- bigger and more popular ships (Princess Royal class, Norwegian Breakaway class). But you will need to visit a Canadian port (Victoria). Time in port will be 8pm-midnight. This also cuts your time in Ketchikan to 7am-1pm. Sailing out of Seattle also means you won’t do the inside passage up towards Alaska due to geography. Coming back down, no issues (again depends on it itinerary)

Ship sizes play a part when disembarking. NCL Breakaway class takes around 4000 passengers, while HAL Konigsdam has around 2,600. You may also have multiple cruise ships in port. The ability to get off the ship fast enough may also be a consideration.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Ryoin82

Reaction score
A rough comparison of the cruise lines

NCL - similar to RCL. Plenty of activities on board if you take the Breakaway class (it’s the same class of ships as Genting Dream). Go Kart, production shows etc

HAL- catered to the more mature crowd. Lesser shows: mainly music and dancing. Pioneers to Alaska cruising.

Princess - Somewhere in between.

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
We didn't end up doing the Alaska cruise.

We went to Scandinavia and did a cruise in Norway. The cruise in Norway was great!

Hopefully we'll get to do the Alaska cruise soon!

Ryoin82

Reaction score
The fjords are nice, and a good time too since Norwegian govt is planning to restrict cruise ships into the fjords in the future.

May I ask which cruise line and the ports of call?

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The fjords are nice, and a good time too since Norwegian govt is planning to restrict cruise ships into the fjords in the future.

May I ask which cruise line and the ports of call?
I went with Havila. Did Kirkenes to Bergen. Got a really good price for it.

Started a thread with the costs
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/threads/trip-sharing-sweden-denmark-and-norway.6933698/

I'm in China now and can't access Google without using my data roaming. So not gonna post the website link. You'll have to Google for it yourself!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.