Anyone here using iMac with Fusion Drive?

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
39,097
Reaction score
13
Am getting a 27" iMac but can't decide whether its worth it to pay extra $280 to upgrade a 7200 rpm 1 TB HDD to a 1 TB Fusion Drive.

To be honest I don't need a 1 TB drive. My old iMac also had 1 TB drive and I was using only about 270 GB so yeah, 1 TB is definitely overkill. If I had the spare cash I'd rather replace the 1 TB HDD with a 512 GB SSD for $700. The speed increase would be great. I could replace the 1 TB HDD with a 256 GB SSD for $280 but I'm just worried I run out of space since my previous iMac I was using about 270 GB.

So all things considered, I guess if I want to enjoy some speed boost for a low price, I should consider replacing the 1 TB HDD with a 1 TB Fusion Drive which has a 128 GB SSD.

Anyone here using a Fusion Drive? Any feedback? Is the speed increase noticeable? I know HDD vs SSD can see big diff lah but HDD vs Fusion Drive leh?
 

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
39,097
Reaction score
13
BTW is it true that if one wants to change to Fusion Drive, need to order from Apple online shop as the shops don't have it?
 

PetPet

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
95,223
Reaction score
311
Get the fusion drive.
It's worth it.

Not sure about your second question.
Don't like the service in local stores.
Prefer to order directly from Apple. They provide great after sales support :)

Be sure to get AppleCare.
 

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
39,097
Reaction score
13
Get the fusion drive.
It's worth it.

Not sure about your second question.
Don't like the service in local stores.
Prefer to order directly from Apple. They provide great after sales support :)

Be sure to get AppleCare.
But apple online no trade in leh. I have a faulty imac. Istudio offered $100-200.
 

IronMac

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2012
Messages
9,006
Reaction score
11
BTW is it true that if one wants to change to Fusion Drive, need to order from Apple online shop as the shops don't have it?

The store themselves should be able to order in whatever configuration you want as a "CTO". That was what I was told at one retailer years ago when I was looking for a 2010 MBP.

In the end, I ordered through Apple
 

ahsiao80

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2010
Messages
6,754
Reaction score
45
Your most ideal shop to try would be Epicentre, heard that they do most of CTO orders but it may required you to wait for awhile~
 

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
39,097
Reaction score
13
Normally I wouldn't mind going to any retailer but iStudio is offering $100-$200 trade in for my faulty Mac. Will check with epicentre if they offer trade ins too. If no, then no choice must go iStudio already.

I don't expect to go down and pick up a CTO iMac right away. I don't mind paying a deposit then coming back few days later for it.
 
Last edited:

danielpng1

Master Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2005
Messages
2,584
Reaction score
0
why not go for the 256gb SSD instead? and get an external 1TB hdd.. at least that's what i did.. don't compromise on the speed. =p

however, i waited almost 10 days before my iMac is sent down from Shanghai, cos it's CTO.
 

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
39,097
Reaction score
13
why not go for the 256gb SSD instead? and get an external 1TB hdd.. at least that's what i did.. don't compromise on the speed. =p

however, i waited almost 10 days before my iMac is sent down from Shanghai, cos it's CTO.
I don't need that much space. Based on my current HDD space, 256GB is just a little under. 512GB SSD would be ideal but damn ex. I guess I could get a 256GB and have less video. LOL!

Wah must wait 10 days? The problem is I am moving house lah. And ViewQwest is coming down on 8 May to do the set up. So die die my iMac must be in before that.
 

B772ER

Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2006
Messages
403
Reaction score
0
Using late-2012 27" iMac with 1TB FD. Speed wise, pretty fast especially when editing photos using LR5. Have not tried video editing with FCPX but yes I would expect it to offer good performance as well. Boot up and shut down are very fast since the OS is located on the SSD.

When I ordered it CTO off AOS, took about 1 week to manufacture and deliver.

Then again, I have the 3.4GHz i7, 16GB RAM and 2GB dedicated graphics so those may possibly be factors to play in as well.
 

docomospur

Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2008
Messages
306
Reaction score
15
I just bought a 21" iMac with the fusion drive, from the apple store. It was delivered in 6 days, public holidays and weekends included. Regarding the fusion drive, difficult for me to compare as I was using a 2009 MBP and the overall difference in speed is substantial.
 

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
39,097
Reaction score
13
Thanks for all the feedback. Seems like istudio is the only one who offers trade in AND apple care + keyboard protector at a bundled discount of $178. Hence i'll prob go with them. They quoted 2 weeks for a customised mac which is way too long for me.

Anyone know of any other shop that does trade in & have apple care bundled at a discount?
 

B772ER

Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2006
Messages
403
Reaction score
0
Thanks for all the feedback. Seems like istudio is the only one who offers trade in AND apple care + keyboard protector at a bundled discount of $178. Hence i'll prob go with them. They quoted 2 weeks for a customised mac which is way too long for me.

Anyone know of any other shop that does trade in & have apple care bundled at a discount?

Why do you need a keyboard protector for a wireless keyboard?
 

Kiddream

Master Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2004
Messages
2,871
Reaction score
140
Ordering a CTO Mac from retail shop will take longer than Apple Online Store. If you can't wait, AOS is your only option.
 

IronMac

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2012
Messages
9,006
Reaction score
11
With iStudio, do they ratchet down your trade-in depending on what is spoiled? For example, I am pretty sure that my SD card reader is dead but everything else is perfect. Do you think I will still get a decent trade-in or just a flat $200?
 

blacksail

Junior Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2014
Messages
55
Reaction score
0
I've been using my 2012 27" iMac with Fusion Drive for almost 1 and a half years and to be honest, it still feels as snappy as when I first got it. Was using a macbook pro with HDD before that so the speed difference is really noticeable. So if you have the extra cash, I'd say go for it. :)
 

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
39,097
Reaction score
13
With iStudio, do they ratchet down your trade-in depending on what is spoiled? For example, I am pretty sure that my SD card reader is dead but everything else is perfect. Do you think I will still get a decent trade-in or just a flat $200?
No idea. Mine is definitely considered faulty. Cant even boot up. Have a feeling they will say your's is still faulty & give u $200.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top