Apple Airport Extreme 2013

bbenjt

Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
245
Reaction score
0
Hi Bros,
Anyone brought and using one yet? I wish to purchase one for my 4 room flat. Please advice and comment. Thanks. :D
 

Winston7222

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2003
Messages
708
Reaction score
0
Go to Internet Bandwidth and Network Clinic to find out more, did read that some guys using it already..;););)
 

ysl060704

Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2006
Messages
399
Reaction score
6
I'm using the time capsule. No diff from previous model (can't check speed as my com is still 802.11n). Like it coz easy to setup. For people who don't mind to pay a little extra for ease of use and no headache.
 

benzene55

Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2009
Messages
205
Reaction score
0
if you are aiming for

1) looks
2) ease of setup
3) price

and absolutely will make you feel like committing suicide using other brands routers, then the APEx 2013 is for you.

Otherwise look elsewhere for alternatives.
 

badsector

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2001
Messages
6,521
Reaction score
57
if you are aiming for

1) looks
2) ease of setup
3) price

and absolutely will make you feel like committing suicide using other brands routers, then the APEx 2013 is for you.

Otherwise look elsewhere for alternatives.

ease of setup and price.. i kinda disagree. my asus also has setup wizard. more like ease of compatibility with idevices. price wise it's over priced in terms of features.
"committing suicide using other brands routers" help is everywhere lah. just need to get it setup once and for all. doesn't bother u everyday.

i own AP xtrem, AP express and asus n66.
 

benzene55

Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2009
Messages
205
Reaction score
0
ease of setup and price.. i kinda disagree. my asus also has setup wizard. more like ease of compatibility with idevices. price wise it's over priced in terms of features.
"committing suicide using other brands routers" help is everywhere lah. just need to get it setup once and for all. doesn't bother u everyday.

i own AP xtrem, AP express and asus n66.

:s13: compared to my n66 and ac66, the price is cheaper at $228, just a paltry more than the n56 :s13:

in terms of self remedy (i.e. detects double NAT, IP conflict), i believe the airport handles pretty well. it is always accessible via the utility, no matter what funky settings you feed it with.

as for performance, that's the reason why mine is already returned back to apple.

in my opinion and testing, the singtel aztech 7002grv(s) is on par and even better in some ways than the 2013 APEx makes me really disappointed.
 
Last edited:

PowerbookG4

Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2003
Messages
238
Reaction score
4
ease of setup and price.. i kinda disagree. my asus also has setup wizard. more like ease of compatibility with idevices. price wise it's over priced in terms of features.
"committing suicide using other brands routers" help is everywhere lah. just need to get it setup once and for all. doesn't bother u everyday.

i own AP xtrem, AP express and asus n66.

Which APEx do you own? 5th gen or the current one?

I'm eyeing on one to replace my current TP-Link and be ready for my 200mbps fibre.

I need some reviews on this and its compatibility with 2 Aztech homeplugs.

Kindly advise... thanks!
 

PowerbookG4

Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2003
Messages
238
Reaction score
4
:s13: compared to my n66 and ac66, the price is cheaper at $228, just a paltry more than the n56 :s13:

in terms of self remedy (i.e. detects double NAT, IP conflict), i believe the airport handles pretty well. it is always accessible via the utility, no matter what funky settings you feed it with.

as for performance, that's the reason why mine is already returned back to apple.

in my opinion and testing, the singtel aztech 7002grv(s) is on par and even better in some ways than the 2013 APEx makes me really disappointed.

As mentioned in my earlier post, I need a good feedback to get my hands on a APEx. The 6th gen seemed a bit overkill coz' non of my Apple stuffs at home have a/c, so would prefer a 5th Gen but not sure if any shop still carries them.

Read up and seems like Asus is the 'king' now coz' many are using that. But I'm running a full setup of Macs at home and I'm not sure if I want a Asus router due to its popularity.

Ur thoughts on Asus vs APEx?
 

badsector

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2001
Messages
6,521
Reaction score
57
:s13: compared to my n66 and ac66, the price is cheaper at $228, just a paltry more than the n56 :s13:
cannot compare apple with orange lah. those router so many functions
in terms of self remedy (i.e. detects double NAT, IP conflict), i believe the airport handles pretty well. it is always accessible via the utility, no matter what funky settings you feed it with.
double NAT causes more issue for me coz i travel alot with the AP express. Hotels using static IP will likely cause double NAT. Only remedy is "IGNORE" or set bridge mode if u need 1 connection only. IGNORE still can use lah but slower speed
as for performance, that's the reason why mine is already returned back to apple. speed wise AP is decent for home use and more stable to me. using n66 mainly as vpn server.
 

PowerbookG4

Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2003
Messages
238
Reaction score
4
:s13: compared to my n66 and ac66, the price is cheaper at $228, just a paltry more than the n56 :s13:
cannot compare apple with orange lah. those router so many functions
in terms of self remedy (i.e. detects double NAT, IP conflict), i believe the airport handles pretty well. it is always accessible via the utility, no matter what funky settings you feed it with.
double NAT causes more issue for me coz i travel alot with the AP express. Hotels using static IP will likely cause double NAT. Only remedy is "IGNORE" or set bridge mode if u need 1 connection only. IGNORE still can use lah but slower speed
as for performance, that's the reason why mine is already returned back to apple. speed wise AP is decent for home use and more stable to me. using n66 mainly as vpn server.

This is reply intended for me?

If so, thanks for the detailed explanation... but I don't need the fancy stuffs like NAT or VPN (as yet). I want a simple, straight forward router for normal use.

How's the wireless signal like? Are you on 5th or 6th Gen APEx?
 

badsector

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2001
Messages
6,521
Reaction score
57
This is reply intended for me?

If so, thanks for the detailed explanation... but I don't need the fancy stuffs like NAT or VPN (as yet). I want a simple, straight forward router for normal use.

How's the wireless signal like? Are you on 5th or 6th Gen APEx?

nope. replying to benzene55.

i own the 5th gen. wireless.... asus is better
not sure 6th gen.

i think AP utility still dun have port forwarding if it's important to u.
 

bbenjt

Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
245
Reaction score
0
Hi All,
In terms of WiFi coverage and stable connectivity, is it good enough for a 4 room flat setup? I heard from others, Asus routers will beat APEX anytime in terms of performance and coverage? I don't think I will feel any different in speed as it is still due to overseas connections? Correct me if i'm wrong :p Please advice.
 

i3o164

Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2007
Messages
237
Reaction score
16
Hi All,
In terms of WiFi coverage and stable connectivity, is it good enough for a 4 room flat setup? I heard from others, Asus routers will beat APEX anytime in terms of performance and coverage? I don't think I will feel any different in speed as it is still due to overseas connections? Correct me if i'm wrong :p Please advice.

I have an AirPort Express 2012 in my nephews' bedroom bridged via Cat5e cable to ASUS RT-N56U in living room serving as router for Singnet ADSL 15mbps.

My nephews keep telling me they 'feel' faster and smoother when surfing/downloading in their room compared to when in living room.

I live in a 4 room flat too, both ASUS and AirPort cannot cover the whole flat probably due to layout and reinforced walls/pillars.

BTW there are only idevices in the house and just added AirPort Extreme 2013.
 

i3o164

Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2007
Messages
237
Reaction score
16
SmallNetBuilder Forums - View Single Post - Apple's New AirPort Extreme Offers No Innovation


Wireless test results posted
The wireless test results are posted in the Charts.
Router Charts - SmallNetBuilder

Routing and storage tests will be added soon.

Results in all four test rotation positions were closer than I have seen for other routers, meaning the antenna design is not directional at all.

Range seems a bit short in 5 GHz.
__________________
Tim Higgins
Managing Editor,SmallNetBuilder.com
 

ysl060704

Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2006
Messages
399
Reaction score
6
why dont just buy from Apple ONline Store and try yourself? Don't like just return.

People say no good, other routers as easy to setup, range got prob but I dont face all these issues.

I think you want some reassurance only but the best is still to try yourself.

Change to time capsule 2013 not an issue for me no regrets wadsoever and happy ever since.
 

OriFlaMmE

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2003
Messages
7,719
Reaction score
0
I bought one Time Capsule and Airport Extreme 2013.
1. Wireless performance and range is definitely better than the 5th generation Airport Extreme and Time Capsule.
2. Future proof your new Mac devices. AC will definitely see a boost in wireless speeds especially when you want to do file transfers on your dedicated NAS devices or peer to peer.
3. Runs cooler than 5th gen airport devices and less annoying "alien green light"

As everyone's house is different I can say that my house has been challenging for wireless but since I have this new setup. Old Airport Extreme -> New Airport Extreme -> New Time Capsule, the furthest Time Capsule is able to achieve 100mbps internet connection for my fibre speed tests. This was never the case with my previous setups. However this required me to tweak the placement of the base stations, restarting them etc. I am happy with the performance and I'm sure many of you will.
 

jes205

Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2013
Messages
286
Reaction score
0
:s13: compared to my n66 and ac66, the price is cheaper at $228, just a paltry more than the n56 :s13:

in terms of self remedy (i.e. detects double NAT, IP conflict), i believe the airport handles pretty well. it is always accessible via the utility, no matter what funky settings you feed it with.

as for performance, that's the reason why mine is already returned back to apple.

in my opinion and testing, the singtel aztech 7002grv(s) is on par and even better in some ways than the 2013 APEx makes me really disappointed.
hi didn't realise that Apple products can be returned. I assume that they fully refunded you. May I know what was the reason you gave them? I'm also considering between AP 13 and Asus NT66U
 

punggolkid

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 29, 2008
Messages
1,778
Reaction score
6
Hmm. Is the pace 5012 Singtel fibre router worse off than this? I don't have any wireless AC devices yet. That aside, is the range and speed better? I can't seem to find out if the Singtel router supports 5GHz.

Am considering putting APEX 2013 in my room with cat 6a cable running from my Singtel router in living room as gateway (no choice since I've got mio voice & mio tv).
 

ysl060704

Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2006
Messages
399
Reaction score
6
My line I use everytime:
I don't like the product, does not fit the requirement that I want.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top